Eric Burnett

No Way Home Weekend Thread | #RIP AIW Record | 260M OW DOM | 340M OS | 600M OW WW W/O CHINA

21 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Has there been any discussion of the impact of inflation on these numbers? The fact the real inflation rate may be as high as 20% we could see blockbusters really take off in '22. (Not saying they'll beat NWH but still).

I've been banging the high inflation -> faster ATP growth-> higher nominal grosses drum a little bit, though I think it's safe to say ATP won't go up 20%

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Knights of Ren said:

The most hyped movies of all time would probably be:

1. EG

2. TPM

3. TFA

4. NWH

5. IW

6. TLJ

7. DH

Colossal recency bias.

Return of the King, Jurassic Park, the first Harry Potter and Lion King easily get onto this list. And that's just 90s onwards and thinking of only pre-release hype.

And sorry to say this guys but the hype for NWH is much higher in North America than elsewhere. Most of us have Omicron dominating the news and here in the UK the hype for NWH is big, but not as big as for NTTD from literally two months ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, Weird Alegion said:

I've been banging the high inflation -> faster ATP growth-> higher nominal grosses drum a little bit, though I think it's safe to say ATP won't go up 20%

I've been banging that drum for years, and hard (see the Avatar 2 thread). It's weird to me that not many people on this forum pay that much attention to the state of the economy when it has such a big (if not total) impact on the BO.

6 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I've been banging that drum for years, and hard (see the Avatar 2 thread). It's weird to me that not many people on this forum pay that much attention to the state of the economy when it has such a big (if not total) impact on the BO.

A lot of people earlier this year seemed to really not want to talk about the massive growth of household savings resulting from the pandemic and possible implications, even though it's right there plain as day on FRED

Edited by Weird Alegion

7 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Colossal recency bias.

Return of the King, Jurassic Park, the first Harry Potter and Lion King easily get onto this list. And that's just 90s onwards and thinking of only pre-release hype.

And sorry to say this guys but the hype for NWH is much higher in North America than elsewhere. Most of us have Omicron dominating the news and here in the UK the hype for NWH is big, but not as big as for NTTD from literally two months ago.

Agreed. The hype for both TESB and TPM was INSANE.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AJG said:

This is possibly the most comprehensive advertising campaign for a movie I’ve ever seen

I’ve not seen this girl in years

Trying to decide if seeing Sasha grey do g fuel sponcon is more degrading than some of the stuff I watched her do ten years ago.

• Astonished 2

5 hours ago, Flopped said:

This is the first time I've spoken about her. Calm down. You're not getting paid by her. Are you? Wouldn't be shocked if her team were paying randos on forums to speak well of her.  

Your username is Flopped and you are entirely focused on Kristen Stewart - which goes to show you're a secret fan. The immense power she has over you is genuinely impressive and proves that she's actually made it. 

It's perfectly okay to love Kristen Stewart, Flopped...absolutely no shame in that especially after her spectacular performance in Diana. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Wear masks. Get boostered. Limit going to bars and large crowds.

please?

In Canada or being told not to sing Christmas carols either. Cuz you know by singing you could spread covid or omicron or whatever.... Oh yeah and popcorn can no longer be served at movie theaters starting sunday.

• Haha 9

Just now, baumer said:

In Canada or being told not to sing Christmas carols either. Cuz you know by saying you could spread covet or omicron or whatever

Singing Christmas Carols has been proven scientifically to increase the spread of COVID by 36.12%.

So sit your ass down.

PS - November-December holdovers hoping to stay Dec 25...yeah, this open - I don't care what the contracts say - theaters will take the absolutely guaranteed full sell outs for Spidey Xmas week (plus all the concession money that this type of movie brings) and drop you if you don't compromise at small and midsize places.  

Lots of renegotiating gonna happen this week for Dec 25 onwards...I see splits galore if they wanna stay...

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

Singing Christmas Carols has been proven scientifically to increase the spread of COVID by 36.12%.

So sit your ass down.

I'll be going door to door spreading Christmas cheer and singing and handing out my own popcorn 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Colossal recency bias.

Good points. Will be interesting to see how this does WW, and perhaps domestically in coming weeks, as panic induced shutdowns take effect. 

2 minutes ago, Tokugennumataka said:

So it will have the second biggest drop for a $200mil opener, right? I don't see how it avoids a 60% drop at the very least. 

Christmas Eve early Friday theater shutdown plus at least 50% fewer showings...it's probably closer to a 70% drop from whatever it puts up, but here's hoping for a better hold...

1 minute ago, Tokugennumataka said:

That Friday to Friday drop will probably be closer to 85%. Ouch! Will be happy if Sat to Sat and Sun to Sun drops are less than 50%.

Kind of funny considering "Friday" basically includes a chunk of Thursday at this point for opening day. 

• Like 1