The Wild Eric

No Way Home Weekdays/Matrix & Sing Thread (12/20-23) | 37.1M Monday/32M Tues | King's Man 800K Previews

15 minutes ago, JonahVex said:

$1.5 bil by mid of January i think

This will be correct. Below is a rough estimate, not including Japan ($35-65M). 

$601M through December 19

$601M
$480M from December 20-26
$1.081B
$310M from December 27-Jan 2

$1.391B

$150M from Jan 3-Jan 9

$1.541B

$65M Jan 10-Jan 16
$1.606B
$30M Jan 17-Jan 23
$1.636B

$25M Remainder 
$1.661B
+ $45M for Japan
~$1.706B estimated final

Edited by GoblinXXR
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Cap said:

We just got out of West Side Story with my 92 Year Old Grandma. 

Grandma: That was so nice! It’s nice to see a good movie after all the stupid ones!

Me: - As we walk by the IMAX door, points to NWH poster - So you want to see Spider-Man next?

Grandma: No! No more stupid movies!

Me: But you said you wanted to see a good movie!

Grandma: No! It’s stupid. No more stupid movies. 

Me: Okay. I will tell the boys you think superhero movies are stupid. I’m sure they’ll all appreciate that. 

1. Threatening to narc on Grandma to the boys. :stop:

2. Is it possible.... your Grandma is actually Eric.  :ph34r:

• Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

5 hours ago, Eric Smith said:

Ehh screw it. Everything is terrible, I like to write, and I've got time to kill before I head off on my errands.

Here's how the next 10 years will go down. Not all of this will become true, but this seems like a good roadmap of how things will go down:

inb4 I get "Hahaed"/yelled at for daring to say streaming won by the usual suspects, as if everything will be just fine in a year.

I will TLDR this for you.  Any theater that wants to stay open, outside of art houses in a small handful of cities, needs to rip out all of their seats and install D-Box or 4-D because people will only see the latest amusement park ride.

35 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I’m not excluding Disney from my point either. But at least they weren’t stupid enough to commit to a whole year of it, let alone not even charging anything for them. 

People watched Cruella and Black Widow like they were new movies once they removed the charges. 

What WB did seems even more insane with hindsight. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, AJG said:

People watched Cruella and Black Widow like they were new movies once they removed the charges. 

What WB did seems even more insane with hindsight. 

On the plus side they now have a streaming revenue with a decent number of subscribers and continued worldwide roll out. Something they didn’t have at a reasonable level when they announced this slate. 

I think they’ll be looking at subscriber revenue more than box office this year. With 2022, they can start afresh. 

Their 2022 schedule so far includes: 

The Batman

Fantastic Beasts 3

League of Superpets

Elvis

Black Adam

Salem’s Lot

The Flash

Aquaman

I honestly wouldn’t waste time worrying about them. They committed to this decision, took the hit and built a subscriber base. They took the financial hit on this year a long time ago. The trades and social media are just happy because they prefer to have negative headlines. 

Edited by Krissykins

45 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

1. Threatening to narc on Grandma to the boys. :stop:

2. Is it possible.... your Grandma is actually Eric.  :ph34r:

You guys do know I like Marvel right? 😂

I can enjoy them while also critiquing them from a business standpoint.

• Like 1

And has Disney really had a much better year than Warner Bros? I honestly don’t think they have. 

Nothing as big as Godzilla Vs Kong. Their highest grossing film is #9 on the worldwide chart. Three MCU films each plagued with bad headlines (law suits, country bans and bad reviews), a string of what, 5/6 outright bombs in a row from the Fox leftovers (without an at-home option) etc. 

Lets face it, 2021 has been a shit show for most of us, including the studios. The trades are the only ones that seem to be enjoying it, which is ironic because we don’t need them at all if there is no box office or studio films. They’ll be obsolete. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

And has Disney really had a much better year than Warner Bros? I honestly don’t think they have. 

Nothing as big as Godzilla Vs Kong. Their highest grossing film is #9 on the worldwide chart. Three MCU films each plagued with bad headlines (law suits, country bans and bad reviews), a string of what, 5/6 outright bombs in a row from the Fox leftovers (without an at-home option) etc. 

Lets face it, 2021 has been a shit show for most of us, including the studios. The trades are the only ones that seem to be enjoying it, which is ironic because we don’t need them at all if there is no box office or studio films. They’ll be obsolete. 

Well, the trades cover a lot more than box office. They're a major publicity vehicle for streaming stuff too.

Edited by AniNate

3 hours ago, JonahVex said:

Why are the weekend projections for NWH so low? Like is $90 mil a legit possibility? thats damn near a 67% drops

As Thursday "previews" get bigger and bigger (read: earlier showtimes), 2nd week-end drops will get worse and worse, most likely.

Like at this point, a -50% 2nd week-end drop for a big opener is god-tier