Eric the Ape

Weekday Numbers (1/3-6) | 7.9 Spider Monday

9 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Are these big drops? I don't know. Licorice Pizza going to 222k after 396k Sunday and WSS hitting like 300k after 550k feels steep. Or expected as its Monday after New Years?

They are great holds. Next Monday it will be 65%+ and 80% for the family films. 

Today and Tomorrow will drop more as the return to school and work continues across the country. 

• Like 2

1 (1) Spider-Man: No Way Home Sony Pictures $7,908,732 -55% -68% 4,206 $1,880 $621,509,396 18
2 (2) Sing 2 Universal $2,745,410 -54% -63% 3,892 $705 $92,992,715 13
3 (3) The King’s Man 20th Century… $653,245 -52% -53% 3,180 $205 $20,234,700 13
4 (5) American Underdog: The Ku… Lionsgate $487,368 -47% -62% 2,813 $173 $15,265,403 10
- (6) West Side Story 20th Century… $324,832 -49% -64% 2,690 $121 $29,961,268 25
- (8) Licorice Pizza United Artists $222,096 -44% -55% 786 $283 $6,604,987 39
- (7) Ghostbusters: Afterlife Sony Pictures $185,136 -55% -48% 1,645 $113 $123,605,168 46
- (9) Encanto Walt Disney $180,351 -47% -67% 2,425 $74 $91,566,477 41
- (11) Nightmare Alley Searchlight … $155,568 -46% -51% 1,910 $81 $7,735,711 18
- (10) A Journal for Jordan Sony Pictures $136,384 -60% -62% 2,500 $55 $4,915,189 10
- (12) House of Gucci United Artists $131,361 -49% -53% 707 $186 $49,154,888 41
- (-) Eternals Walt Disney $16,850 -47% -64% 175 $96 $164,711,282 60
- (-) The French Dispatch Searchlight … $5,554 -40% -52% 55 $101 $16,005,970 74
- (-) Belfast Focus Features $4,175 -60% -61% 77 $54 $6,913,200 53

https://www.the-numbers.com/daily-box-office-chart

Edited by druv10
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I strongly disagree. Despite the variant not having same impact as Delta its definitely a huge deal. Its R0 numbers are so bad that its causing hospitals to shutdown units which to be is not trivial. We hit 1 million cases today and that will have big impact at hospitals if they are ravaged as well. 

That said I doubt movie theaters will close state side though some capacity constraints could be in play if spread continues rampant. 

its 10-15x weaker than Delta versus vaccinated. Unvaxxed by choice im done with

• Like 5

The 1M cases are from spiky weekday reporting, but the 7DMA  is at 500k and clearly has a lot of room to grow. Actual infections likely over 10x that, coming up on perhaps 50M infections per week — operation “everyone in the country gets omicron” is well underway at this point and only as a matter of weeks before it’s fully burnt out. And along the way there isn’t much risk except to those who decided to remain vulnerable (and a small minority who are unable to get vaccinated, for which this is a really awful tragic time but it isn’t really sensible to drive society level policy around them).

Edited by Product Driven Legion
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Product Driven Legion said:

The 1M cases are from spiky weekday reporting, but the 7DMA  is at 500k and clearly has a lot of room to grow. Actual infections likely over 10x that, coming up on perhaps 50M infections per week — operation “everyone in the country gets omicron” is well underway at this point and only as a matter of weeks before it’s fully burnt out. And along the way there isn’t much risk except to those who decided to remain vulnerable (and a small minority who are unable to get vaccinated, for which this is a really awful tragic time but it isn’t really sensible to drive society level policy around them).

I dont care about the voluntarily unvaxed but thats not the only risk. Hospitals getting overwhelmed will mean unintended casualties for those who needed medical attention but couldnt get it (or at least not in time). 

Another risk is staffing shortages everywhere if so many get sick at the same time. So many places were already seeing staff shortages before Omicron and this will exacerbate it. 

Speaking from a BO perspective thats not good for the box office if cinemas do not have adequate staff to run. Its also not good if a huge chunk of your potential audience gets sick. It’s a relief though that given its speed the effects will be felt only short term but this could affect current movies legs and those movies coming out within the next 1-2 months. 

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I dont care about the voluntarily unvaxed but thats not the only risk. Hospitals getting overwhelmed will mean unintended casualties for those who needed medical attention but couldnt get it (or at least not in time). 

Another risk is staffing shortages everywhere if so many get sick at the same time. So many places were already seeing staff shortages before Omicron and this will exacerbate it. 

Speaking from a BO perspective thats not good for the box office if cinemas do not have adequate staff to run. Its also not good if a huge chunk of your potential audience gets sick. It’s a relief though that given its speed the effects will be felt only short term but this could affect current movies legs and those movies coming out within the next 1-2 months. 

Thing is as well with cinemas so dead a lot of cinemas are running on skeletal staff.

I went to a theater and was maybe 5-6 people working in the whole theater for a 16 screen theater. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I don’t see extreme concern for hospitals based on the overseas (few weeks ahead) data. Some systems will get stressed, of course, which is not good — but not much reason to think they’ll break.   

Re: Staff shortages the CDC loosening quarantine was a good step and it makes sense to relax testing and quarantine even more imo. If you’re vacced and asymptotic it’s pretty much fine to just keep coming into work and being around people.    

BOwise I agree that there’s some impact, but it’s been present for the last few weeks as well, so I don’t know if we should expect too much week-over-week impact. Especially since grosses are going to be so low now (esp weekdays) — if you’re having some staff shortages at a 10plex because of covid, you can pretty much just give 3 screens to NWH, one to sing, one to 355, one split KM/Underdog, don’t even run the other 4 and it’s not like you’re going to be missing much business. And yeah, we should be on the downslope in like 2 weeks, so… we’ll just weather the storm a bit, then sunny days by the time the next big movie comes out (in March, lol).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Torontofan said:

Thing is as well with cinemas so dead a lot of cinemas are running on skeletal staff.

I went to a theater and was maybe 5-6 people working in the whole theater for a 16 screen theater. 

on a weekday or weekend? Even before covid the 13 screen theater i work at generally only had 2 people working on weekdays.... well 2 + Manager in the morning then 3 at night

3 hours ago, cdsacken said:

its 10-15x weaker than Delta versus vaccinated.

lol yeah I'd be skeptical of shit like this

My brother in San Francisco is double vaxxed and caught Omicron last week at his job(everyone there got it got and is temporarily shut down) and its the sickest hes ever been, not bad enough to go to the hospital, but enough to knock him out on his ass for weeks.  Also, a lot of people with mild cases of covid end up with measurable organ damage so act like the vaxx is the silver bullet at your own peril

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

$5.9m for Tuesday.  

Before any of you freak out about that, don't forget that a ton of schools were still out on Monday but were back in on Tuesday.  

it crumble

:sarah:

700 is still on the table?

Edited by Danhjpn