Maggie

Weekend Thread (Feb 4 - 6) : Jackass $1.65 Thursday

Damn @ the late legs of Sing 2, there’s a really good chance at $150m domestic. If I weren’t so cynical on release patterns, as i think a handful of family films (looking at Bad Guys, Lightyear and Super Pets getting direct to streaming or hybrid release) I’d say this is a good sign for the rest of animation this year.

NWH is also having some strong legs. Got to say a $260m opener with a $800m finish in the middle of a pandemic is impressive, albeit sustainability is up in the air.

Solid opening for Jackass 4Ever, although I am certain the demographic is younger than say the average adult fare, it’s good this and Scream are doing solid business.

Edited by YourMother

9 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Damn @ the late legs of Sing 2, there’s a really good chance at $150m domestic. If I weren’t so cynical on release patterns, as i think a handful of family films (looking at Bad Guys, Lightyear and Super Pets getting direct to streaming or hybrid release) I’d say this is a good sign for the rest of animation this year.

It's starting to hold the same way The Croods 2 did last year being the only family film on the market. With its closest competition being two months away (thanks Disney? lol) we probably shouldn't rule out $160M+ either.

Just now, filmlover said:

It's starting to hold the same way The Croods 2 did last year being the only family film on the market. With its closest competition being two months away (thanks Disney? lol) we probably shouldn't rule out $160M+ either.

Honestly they made a huge mistake for the purpose of subscription revenue for Turning Red. It could’ve also done a $150m run. They could have still give it an early Disney Plus release on April 8th. Odds are it’ll still have the same effect and would maximize revenue streams.

• Like 1

So theaters are re-opening here tomorrow on Monday for the first time since December. I'm seeing a few screenings for NWH already 50% sold on tomorrow night. Really curious to see the Monday hold for Spidey

For instance this is what one of the 6:45 PM showings looks like right now:

cineplex.jpg

And it's pretty much the same for Tuesday, Wednesdays, Thursday...

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

So theaters are re-opening here tomorrow on Monday for the first time since December. I'm seeing a few screenings for NWH already 50% sold on tomorrow night. Really curious to see the Monday hold for Spidey

For instance this is what one of the 6:45 PM showings looks like right now:

cineplex.jpg

And it's pretty much the same for Tuesday, Wednesdays, Thursday...

It's good ? If hold tomorrow is good, maybe NWH can beat Avatar 1st run ($749,8M) tomorrow ...

3 hours ago, KJsooner said:

NWH is a BEAST. Late legs have been unbelievable. 

Called it as soon as I saw the movie. Said it would open big and have massive legs. Well deserved. Also, end of lockdowns in Canadian provinces is driving the legs. People making up for lost time. 

Edited by Valonqar

GB:A may pass 130m in total if the theater didn't collapse from here. The movie is really showing late legs thanks to minimal competition and basically an alternative for families seeking out a family-friendly live action movie that isn't called No way Home

• Like 1

Will Deadline be doing their “profit/loss” article this year, or did they skip 2020 as well? 

I was just thinking, Cats lost $114m in the end. 

West Side Story cost more than Cats and has grossed less than Cats. And it won’t have the same ancillary money because it’ll be on Disney+ for free. 

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Will Deadline be doing their “profit/loss” article this year, or did they skip 2020 as well? 

I was just thinking, Cats lost $114m in the end. 

West Side Story cost more than Cats and has grossed less than Cats. And it won’t have the same ancillary money because it’ll be on Disney+ for free. 

Those math have always been a bit strange and depends on who point of view and so on.

WSS is a Ambien and TSG production, distributed by "Fox", I am sure they were paid to have the movie on D+ a bit like they would have been paid to play on paid cable or free TV. Has it had no link with Disney at the time the movie started.

Deadline annual ranking often played in a fuzzy way on the who made profit or lost exactly to make it simpler, say movie that were heavily co-financed it was not taken into account, pre-sales of market only on the most famous case like the Liongates release a la Hunger Games.

I imagine if they ever do them , they would estimate how much Disney TV division paid the movie production and put that into the movie revenues side like they did for the studio television arm paying the distribution fee of movies coming up from the same studio back in the days or when a movie bought ads on a tv channel own by the same studio.