filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

2 hours ago, Maggie said:

Smith doesn't seem bothered. Not even a Sorry to Chris Rock

Smacked a man for talking shit. Won an Oscar. Then danced to his own song with his family.

I truly can't imagine a better evening.

Edited by AJG
  • ...wtf 4

22 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

very true. This thread had only 6 or so pages last year. This year, all thanks to WS, it has 60! Everywhere you turn, people only talk about WS. No one talks about winners since they are forgettable from movies no one saw and no one will see. 

To be fair, last year nobody has mood for movie. Everything about movie from Oscar to box office to even this thread was dead silent for months.

What I really want to know is: was that Chris Evans Lightyear plug live or recorded? If it was recorded, did they tell him Kotsur was winning days before the ceremony? So much for the AMPAS constant claims that nobody knows the winner until the envelope is opened lol.

Just now, filmlover said:

What I really want to know is: was that Chris Evans Lightyear plug live or recorded? If it was recorded, did they tell him Kotsur was winning days before the ceremony? So much for the AMPAS constant claims that nobody knows the winner until the envelope is opened lol.

They recorded a new promo for all the nominees. They've done similar stuff before.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

They probably had him record an intro for each potential winner

1 hour ago, The Stingray said:

Man, what a legend Will Smith is. Rock stepped over the line and got checked. Good on him for taking it like a man and not pressing charges.

Applauding physical violence over anything let alone a joke ordinary people wouldn’t be fazed by..

star-wars-how-liberty-dies.gif

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's not a shocking revelation that the key to making jokes is that they need to be, you know, actually funny. Anyone who was watching the ceremony could tell that Rock's dig at Jada was bombing not only with them but with the whole crowd too. Doesn't excuse Smith's actions but comedy isn't as easy as it looks, you know.

According to the New York Post there's an investigation going on about what action they should take re: Smith including taking his Oscar away, but we all know that won't happen. After all, it's not like they've rescinded any of the Oscars that Harvey Weinstein or Roman Polanski won, and those people are actual monsters guilty of far worse than what Smith did. Most that will happen is they simply won't invite him back to fulfill the Best Actor winner duties of crowning the next Best Actress next year.

Could Will Smith lose his Oscar over Chris Rock slap? (nypost.com)

Wait so if a comedians joke isn't funny, they deserve a slap? That's quite the pressure, comedians are bound to have a few misses here and there, slapping them for it would be like slapping an actor because he gave a shit performamce. 

It's a comedians job to go all the way up to the line, its only a matter of time until they actually cross it, they should be let off the hook more

1 minute ago, Tarintino said:

Wait so if a comedians joke isn't funny, they deserve a slap?

Talk shit. Get slapped. That's it.

Comedians have been getting on my nerves whining on Netflix for millions of dollars alleging that an unknown shadow league is out to get them. Frankly I think a good slap from the audience might do them good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

Talk shit. Get slapped. That's it.

Comedians have been getting on my nerves whining on Netflix for millions of dollars alleging that an unknown shadow league is out to get them. Frankly I think a good slap from the audience might do them good.

Anyone with access to news can see it's not just some unknown shadow league, Netflix had walkouts lol. Comedians wont get a slap in the face from the public because the public are on their side

6 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I hope they take Will Smith’s Oscar from him. 

They won't. Not when Weinstein still has his awards even though he'll be spending the rest of his life behind bars. The AMPAS will just investigate what happened (especially if Rock went off-script) and they'll take the appropriate action. Not inviting Smith back next year is the easiest solution to all of this IMO.

• Like 1

I honestly found Smith's behavior very disturbing. I'm sure because I bring my own baggage to the whole thing, but I'd be saying the same thing if Jada was the one who hit Rock or if it had been Wanda Sykes making the joke and Smith slapping her.  It was just such a fast escalation to physical violence, and yes, I thought the joke was bad and mean, but I think that about a lot of Rock's humor over the years and I don't think he should be beaten for it.  Smith's reaction really bothered me, not going to lie, but all the people cheering it on are really surprising to me, as well.  Maybe this is more normalized than I realized.

• Like 5