filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

27 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

LOL, all that pandering the Academy did catering to ABC and for what? SAG did their same old show and the ratings doubled.. Quite the competition this season, for Biggest Tryhard with the Least Results. ETA, the 15 million number is more like it, but this would've naturally happened IMO.

https://www.tvinsider.com/1038228/oscars-2022-ratings-viewership/amp/

the later revised figure at 15.4m show that will smith moment hasn’t been factored into these early rating. Here is the quote “The Will Smith-Chris Rock moment came in the third hour of the show, with Smith’s win for Best Actor then coming after 11/10c (which is not factored into the early numbers).”

so who know the number will go higher and coming nearer to 17m to 18m. But still a flop after so many attempts to bring a big jump. This is even meh considering there was no golden globe this year that should at least reduce the award show fatigue.

• Like 1

Hopefully next year’s Academy Awards will be a more traditional show. Also, maybe some kind of measures should be taken to ensure that no one walks onstage to slap someone. 

Also, apparently a couple of publications (one of which is the New York Post) are calling out people like Mila Kunis for not explicitly mentioning Ukraine by name, and not directly calling out Vladimir Putin, which is really baffling to me. There are plenty of things to complain about with this year’s ceremony. You don’t have to make up issues, just because you really want to gripe about “wokeness.” 

6 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Hopefully next year’s Academy Awards will be a more traditional show. Also, maybe some kind of measures should be taken to ensure that no one walks onstage to slap someone. 

Also, apparently a couple of publications (one of which is the New York Post) are calling out people like Mila Kunis for not explicitly mentioning Ukraine by name, and not directly calling out Vladimir Putin, which is really baffling to me. There are plenty of things to complain about with this year’s ceremony. You don’t have to make up issues, just because you really want to gripe about “wokeness.” 

Well, it was odd that there was more "gay gay gay" stuff than Ukraine shoutouts/statements.

And I thought Lady Gaga did a really nice, sensitive job not letting things get too awkward.  Liza Minnelli really wasn't up to being out there.  

5 minutes ago, brothernero said:

Well, it was odd that there was more "gay gay gay" stuff than Ukraine shoutouts/statements.

And I thought Lady Gaga did a really nice, sensitive job not letting things get too awkward.  Liza Minnelli really wasn't up to being out there.  

They did a moment of silence in solidarity for Ukraine. I don’t recall there being that much “gay gay gay” stuff, outside of Ariana DeBose mentioning that she’s queer, and Jessica Chastain alluding to some of the laws that Republicans are passing around, but maybe I wasn’t paying attention.

It just seems odd to give them flack specifically for not mentioning Putin by name. I don’t see the NYP calling out Tucker Carlson for straight up spreading anti-Ukraine propaganda. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, it’s time to put to bed this narrative about modernizing the Oscars. Keep the initiative that brings more diversity to the voting block but go back to the traditional elements that kept a bit of the prestige over the years. Sure, the show could be boring, but that’s what kept this show from suffering the same fate as the Golden Globes and the Emmy’s.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Yeah, it’s time to put to bed this narrative about modernizing the Oscars. Keep the initiative that brings more diversity to the voting block but go back to the traditional elements that kept a bit of the prestige over the years. Sure, the show could be boring, but that’s what kept this show from suffering the same fate as the Golden Globes and the Emmy’s.

Ultimately it doesn't matter because Hollywood doesn't know how to make good movies that the public cares about anymore. It's either bad superhero movies or small movies hat no one saw, made outside the studio system.  The most watched Oscars in history were the year Titanic, As Good As It Gets, Good Will Hunting, etc were nominated. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Ultimately it doesn't matter because Hollywood doesn't know how to make good movies that the public cares about anymore. It's either bad superhero movies or small movies hat no one saw, made outside the studio system.  The most watched Oscars in history were the year Titanic, As Good As It Gets, Good Will Hunting, etc were nominated. 

Sometime it is not always about how widely seen the nominees, but how the entertaining the ceremony. 70th Oscar may have miracle-like blockbuster like titanic in the mix but the ceremony if you look back, was so much more well energetic.Just look at the opening monologue, and see how responsive the crowd. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

Apparently Venus Williams had a nipslip on live TV and it isn't even in the top 10 things people are talking about. It was a mega shitshow last night.

I wasn't even aware of this until now lmao.

6 hours ago, Valonqar said:

He overshadowed all wins. No one is talking about anything but The Slap. Look at the headlines and trending. It's one or the other variaton of The Slap. Winners Who? 

This. tells you all you need to know about the relevance of this award, the quality of the show and the quality of the winners. Without The Slap no one would talk about the ceremony or even watch.

Well obviously people were already watching it when the slap happened.

At least the others had their own moment and drama free speeches. He’ll just always be the guy who embarrassed himself at the Oscar’s now. 

I actually fast forwarded Will’s acceptance speech because of it, ha. Looked insufferable anyway. 

Do you guys think the Oscars should just have it's own streaming service and do the whole show on there instead of on live tv? Apparently the ratings for this years Oscars were not good, so I feel they just need to accept that the Oscars have become a niche thing. It doesn't seem to really appeal to the casual viewer anymore, and even if they tried to nominate some popular blockbuster/comic book movie it's not going to suddenly turn the casuals into Oscar fans.

I'm all for trying to change things up and improve upon stuff, but sometimes we have to accept that not all content will appeal to everybody. We all have shows we can recommend to people and believe our friends will enjoy, but at the same time we all watch some shows that we personally enjoy but know very well they're not for everyone. And that is what I feel the Oscars have become. 

I'm of the opinion they should just put the Oscars on it's own streaming service alongside all the nominated stuff and just stay in its own lane, maybe it's not realistic but thats just my idea of how they could proceed. I mean they can tighten the show up and pull out as many tricks as they want, but if someone isn't a fan of the program then there's not much they can do to suddenly changer their mind. Stick with the fans you got and let everybody else know the day after what won and lost over social media.

Edited by clockwork

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Sometime it is not always about how widely seen the nominees, but how the entertaining the ceremony. 70th Oscar may have miracle-like blockbuster like titanic in the mix but the ceremony if you look back, was so much more well energetic.Just look at the opening monologue, and see how responsive the crowd. 

Yeah I don't agree at all that the hosts ever mattered that much in the grand scheme of things. Billy Crystal or Whoopi Goldberg might have been great and iconic but you and me would pull close to the same numbers presenting awards to Titanic, Forrest Gump and Saving Private Ryan in pre-social media times. Oscar viewership started slowly falling from the mid 00s when they went from awarding some of the biggest movies of the year to some big hits that weren't that close to the biggest of their year to an occasional populist hit or two contending every now and then.

And then there's the part of new media emergence, linear TV slowly becoming obsolete and much of the most casual audience consuming the awards in bits and pieces online. That part won't change even with more popular movies and hosts.

There's no magic combination that will get the ceremony back to the old 40m numbers. Which makes all the bullshit the producers have pulled to jump 5m in viewership from the year that almost didn't happen even more ridiculous. Maybe in a year when a couple of populist hits are contenders and not just below the line winners they can crack 20m again, but that's about it. ABC and The clowns that run the academy will have to accept the new normal eventually.

• Like 3

Given that the SAG awards doubled from last year's Zoom ceremony, I can't imagine The Return to The Dolby drawing only about 50% more than the train station show from last year is what the producers had a mind.

Not surprised they're investigating the incident, even if it's obvious it was a "two wrongs don't make a right" situation. Something like this was completely unprecedented until now, so some are likely going to feel nervous about presenting at any awards show going forward.

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Given that the SAG awards doubled from last year's Zoom ceremony, I can't imagine The Return to The Dolby drawing only about 50% more than the train station show from last year is what the producers had a mind.

Not surprised they're investigating the incident, even if it's obvious it was a "two wrongs don't make a right" situation. Something like this was completely unprecedented until now, so some are likely going to feel nervous about presenting at any awards show going forward.

I have to say though, the ceremony exceeded expectations. Everyone expected a trainwreck and they delivered a legendary all time trainwreck.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

I have to say though, the ceremony exceeded expectations. Everyone expected a trainwreck and they delivered a legendary all time trainwreck.

The Slap guarantees it's going to be remembered for that alone, but everything otherwise was a chore to get through. What even was that Bardem/Cruz joke right before the altercation? And that random jab at The Last Duel? Neither ABC or AMPAS can be mad that ratings are dwindling as the ceremony itself moves more and more into becoming a slightly classier version of the MTV Movie Awards each year.

• Like 2