Eric Prime

President's Day Weekend Thread: Uncharted 3.7 Previews, Dog 1.26

2 minutes ago, VENOM said:

Well Deadline said the audience reception was good it’s going to smash all expectations and obviously has good WOM and a 89% audience score or “mid” as you like to call it. 

Yes reception is good but it’s not out of the world for the usual blockbuster. Hench, “mid”.

15 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

What are the most successful video game adaptations?

It used to be they were box office poison.

This, Pikachu and Sonic come to mind. Angry Birds also if it counts. However it seems the ceiling so far is around $140m DOM.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

What are the most successful video game adaptations?

It used to be they were box office poison.

Warcraft 438ml WW but uncharted has already beaten it’s domestic total in its first weekend.

Domestically it’s Sonic with 148 uncharted also could beat.

Edited by VENOM
  • Like 1

Ok here's the thing with Venom 1 vs Venom 2.

I think Venom 1 has far worse elements than Venom 2. The whole Life Foundation/Villain element was TERRIBLE. Basically the main plot of the movie. But it was very generic aka something the audience was familiar with. Just a standard superhero plot. What Venom 1 had over Venom 2 is that the Eddie and Venom stuff was a surprise in the first one. Even though that's what they focused on in the 2nd one, I don't think it reached the heights of the Eddie/Venom banter in the first. Venom 1 was a movie at odds with itself. The director and a lot of the cast thought they were doing some "dark and gritty" superhero movie, but Tom Hardy was like "Fuck that, this script sucks, I'm turning this into a slapstick buddy comedy". And it weirdly worked

Venom 2 did the smart thing with cutting out all the garbage Riz Ahmed stuff, and decided to focus on what worked in the first movie (Tom Hardy and Venom), but it didn't really improve it that much. And add on top of that, the movie doesn't really have a "plot". Like yeah, Venom has to fight Carnage at the end of the movie, but the plot really doesn't feel like it's in focus in the 2nd movie. 

So even though Venom 1 had a terrible, generic ass plot, it was still recognizable to audiences and was a problem that Venom needed to take care of. Whereas Venom 2 was basically Tom Hardy and company being like let's just get fucking weird and unconventional.

I personally think Venom 2 is much better. I certainly wouldn't call it lazy. It's one of the weirdest, strangest Comic Book movies ever. The CGI is genuinely good and well directed, the Venom/Eddie stuff is pretty fun still. But Venom 1 is more boilerplate, and I think audiences preferred that over Venom 2's weirdness

Edited by Pinacolada

Despite my indifference towards Uncharted I'm still very glad to see it do well. Mainly because it means Chad Stahelski's Ghost of Thushima movie is actually going to materialize.

I wonder if they're going to attempt Ratchet and Clank again. Maybe Sly Cooper will finally make it to the big screen. The sky's the limit now that Uncharted is a hit.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, YourMother said:

This, Pikachu and Sonic come to mind. Angry Birds also if it counts. However it seems the ceiling so far is around $140m DOM.

Tomb Raider as well, but its grosses were in 2001 dollars without the aid of China’s market being like it is now. 

Edited by Krissykins

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Tomb Raider as well, but its grosses were in 2001 dollars without the aid of China’s market being like it is now. 

It adjusts to over 200m DOM and I guess if there was a way to adjust OS numbers could be over Warcraft even without China. Despite the bad reception it felt like a bigger thing at the time than Pikachu and Sonic were 2 years ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cookie said:

Moonfall isn't even in the top ten anymore, damn. Talk about (moon)falling off a cliff.

Both Uncharted or Moonfall are in 30%+ range for RT score but Uncharted pulling off because it is a dumb fun movie but Moonfall is straight dumbstruck. 

1 hour ago, Joel M said:

It adjusts to over 200m DOM and I guess if there was a way to adjust OS numbers could be over Warcraft even without China. Despite the bad reception it felt like a bigger thing at the time than Pikachu and Sonic were 2 years ago.

Yeh! That’s why I brought it up, it really felt like a big event back in the day. Because the game was such a cultural phenomenon at the time. 

10 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I think Tom Holland could be one to save Bond & get new generation of fans. 

I suggested that a month ago and folks laughed at me:)...of course, Tom Cruise never played Bond, so it's probably not the best idea, unless you want a Tom Cruise-esque Bond (less gravitas, more fun)...