Eric is Anxious

President's Day Weekend Thread: Uncharted 3.7 Previews, Dog 1.26

But considering how much leeway there is between the MCU and the SPUOMC, even though Morbius has no way near the recognition of Venom, it still seems to have a lot of the goofy sort of early 2000s CBM vibe and the Marvel brand is the ultimate seller. I’d be more surprised if it did under 100m than over it.

6 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

I think the 17 days window was a 2021 thing and it's pretty much dead now.

I think 45 days is still a bit short but it's not really bad either. Plus, a couple of movies last year still had soft drops even when they were available in PVOD, for example No Time To Die and Ghostbusters

60 days IMO should be the new norm

I think universal is still doing their 17 days (sing2) or even day to date release. 

also the soft drop for NTTD and ghostbusters may likely due to lack of competition during their late run, instead of streaming posing no impact. Also NTTD did gross less than spectre, so the impact may very absorbed in the opening weekend or 2nd weekend. 2nd weekend drop is where you can see impact from streaming since second weekend audience are generally more causal and less enthusiastic but they’d still be interested in seeing the film. Unfortunately the second weekend hold for major film has been tepid since reopening. 

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

😂

I knew it! Girls are holding back box office rebound because they are staying rewatching Cinderella over and over again at home!

on the related note, if nwh can’t win this open to public category, a best picture snub probably isn’t a big deal as some made it to be

Edited by titanic2187
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

I knew it! Girls are holding back box office rebound because they are staying rewatching Cinderella over and over again at home!

on the related note, if nwh can’t win this open to public category, a best picture snub probably isn’t a big deal as some made it to be

No Way Home apparently isn’t even top 3 anymore. Johnny Depp fans (?) are voting for a film he apparently had last year and Snyder fans are voting for Justice League, despite it being ineligible. 

So that gives you an idea of how dumb things are lol

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

This is basically a Twitter poll. If you did an actual poll of audiences NWH would be the most popular film of the past year by some distance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

This is basically a Twitter poll. If you did an actual poll of audiences NWH would be the most popular film of the past year by some distance.

Not if we add Encanto into the poll too. I somehow think it will win

20 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

😂

The Oscars deserve this. I hope Cinderella actually wins haha. Mess. 

First their Oscar hopeful Eternals ends up with mixed reception, then in a last ditch effort No Way Home was pushed a campaign under the pretense of saving theaters but didn’t get in and now it seems No Way Home is losing the battle for Oscar fan favorite. Feige must be kind of disappointed lol.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I think universal is still doing their 17 days (sing2) or even day to date release. 

also the soft drop for NTTD and ghostbusters may likely due to lack of competition during their late run, instead of streaming posing no impact. Also NTTD did gross less than spectre, so the impact may very absorbed in the opening weekend or 2nd weekend. 2nd weekend drop is where you can see impact from streaming since second weekend audience are generally more causal and less enthusiastic but they’d still be interested in seeing the film. Unfortunately the second weekend hold for major film has been tepid since reopening. 

They did 17 days for Sing 2 beacuse it was part of their 2021 slate, had it come 2 weeks later, it would have a 45 days window. 

11 minutes ago, YourMother said:

First their Oscar hopeful Eternals ends up with mixed reception, then in a last ditch effort No Way Home was pushed a campaign under the pretense of saving theaters but didn’t get in and now it seems No Way Home is losing the battle for Oscar fan favorite. Feige must be kind of disappointed lol.

See, I am marvel fan and I don't use Twitter. I see this and I still won't make an account to vote for it. It's stupid which from next year will be won by ARMYs of KOREA, BTS just needs to release movie in which they sleep for 2 hours. MCU fans are many but they won't top any Singer's Fanbases.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This "vote for an Oscar" Twitter thing was always gonna result in a joke choice being the frontrunner but the biggest surprise is that it's Cabello stans and not Gaga ones pushing their fave to the top. Guess that reinforces the notion that no one actually cared for House of Gucci as a movie itself and the only investment in it came from her involvement (and everyone no longer caring after her acting snub because of it).

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, YourMother said:

zombieland-money.gif

Devastated, even

• Like 2

There's no problem with any of the windows imo.

Clearly there's no such a thing as an "obligatory window" anymore to be a reason to complain.

90 days window is ridiculous for years and thankfully it's dead. Now seems like the decisions are being made based on how much it's grossing, which sounds the best option.

It's a big movie but very frontloaded? 45 days is more than enough. 

It's a big movie with good legs? Push to 60-75 days. 

It's a movie that have a tepid OW and it's showing no legs on it's first weekends? 17 days is enough.

There's no point in keep a movie theaters only if it's not generating money for the studios and the exhibitors, so the best option is to decide case to case, and seems like all studios is going to this direction now.

Sucks how every time there's a huge box office recovery, the marketplace looks weak for a month. Yeah, Batman will make a zillion and Uncharted will hold fine but the next big release outside of Batman is a month away. March 18 could use a jolt, a new product. A24's X will open to typical A24 horror numbers (5m range or so). 

Comparatively, April is nearly loaded except for the 29th--Morbius, Sonic, Ambulance, Father Stu, Fantastic Beasts, The Bad Guys, The Northman.

Gosh, Disney really fudged up by removing Turning Red

• Like 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

This "vote for an Oscar" Twitter thing was always gonna result in a joke choice being the frontrunner but the biggest surprise is that it's Cabello stans and not Gaga ones pushing their fave to the top. Guess that reinforces the notion that no one actually cared for House of Gucci as a movie itself and the only investment in it came from her involvement (and everyone no longer caring after her acting snub because of it).

The Little Monsters have seen her get nominated for Best Actress, have an iconic Oscars performance (plus other memorable ones) and win one before.  They know this participation trophy is meaningless, to have Mother Monster up there accepting the Golden Hashtag on the same night that Billie Eilish or Beyonce and Kristen Stewart (potentially) win a real Oscar...would they put their girl through that? The stans of all the other actresses and pop gurls would clown her for days.

Other fanbases are thirstier to see their fave succeed and wouldn't see winning this "prize" as humiliating, but a validation of their own taste. It's not surprising that stans of people/stuff that haven't won anything important before are the ones doing the most in a fan poll.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl