Eric is Anxious

THE BATMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 134M OW DOM, 258.2M WW | Biggest WB opening since BvS. First non Disney-affiliated 100M OW since 2018

7 minutes ago, hw64 said:

We haven't gotten any substantial numbers in yet, so let's see how the weekend plays out, but regardless of the outcome of this weekend I stand by my point earlier that relying as heavily on the presales data as some do is eventually going to come back to bite people in their predictions.

Ehh. If the battle is "data driven presales" vs "intuition and hope", the data is going to win 99 times out of 100. I'll take that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hw64 said:

Intuition should absolutely play a part in a good box office analyst's predictions, yes; you can't just let your predictions be ruled by the presales data, to the same extent that you can't just ignore it entirely.

And I'm not suggesting that excel's predictions were rooted in anything other than guesswork and hope, I was just pointing out that he was one of few people, and the only really vocal person, that went against the general presales-driven expectations/consensus for The Batman, even though I think there was decent enough reason to do so in this case.

We haven't gotten any substantial numbers in yet, so let's see how the weekend plays out, but regardless of the outcome of this weekend I stand by my point earlier that relying as heavily on the presales data as some do is eventually going to come back to bite people in their predictions.

1) What was the "consensus" for the full weekend? I saw quite a range of predictions even from people looking at the same data. Previews was closer to consensus, but given the track record of the thread on previews, I see no reason why we wouldn't rely on the data.

2) Assuming there was a "consensus," what was the reason why people should have gone against it in a particular direction? I can think of both positive and negative factors for Batman walk-ups, and not easy to predict the impact that each might have.

3) If you're gonna call out the predictions of others, please offer your own predictions as well.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, PenguinXXR said:

Ehh. If the battle is "data driven presales" vs "intuition and hope", the data is going to win 99 times out of 100. I'll take that. 

My suggestion is "data-driven presales and intuition" over just "data-driven presales"; as I said in the post that you quoted, "you can't just ignore [the data] entirely."

I'd rather not have this conversation dominate the thread, so I'll leave it there in terms of my replies — I've already made the points that I wanted to make.

Edited by hw64

10 minutes ago, Tokugennumataka said:

1. Titanic - 17.61M

2. Home Alone - 8.22M

3. Avatar - 8.12M

4. E.T - 6.63M

5. Aladdin - 6.32M

6. Frozen - 6.23M

7. Beverly Hills Cop - 5.86M

8. Forrest Gump - 5.46M

9. Ghost - 5.44M

10. Ghostbusters - 4.68M

I rewatched Titanic recently for the first time in like 15 years and I must say, I do understand its crazy numbers and legs. The movie is insanely watchable.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

93% verified AS    1k ratings

93% All Audience  5k ratings

Still A-  CS range territory

93% Verified Audience; 2.5k votes, 4.6 average
92% All Audiences; 5k votes, 4.6 average

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tokugennumataka said:

1. Titanic - 17.61M

2. Home Alone - 8.22M

3. Avatar - 8.12M

4. E.T - 6.63M

5. Aladdin - 6.32M

6. Frozen - 6.23M

7. Beverly Hills Cop - 5.86M

8. Forrest Gump - 5.46M

9. Ghost - 5.44M

10. Ghostbusters - 4.68M

Aladdin is counting the two wknds limited I think, that looks like the 10th wide wknd. 12th wide was pres, where the only figure I can find is a 6.7M 4day, but probably corresponds to a 5Mish 3day so still above Busters.   

NWH needs a 19.3% drop for Busters.

13 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

I rewatched Titanic recently for the first time in like 15 years and I must say, I do understand its crazy numbers and legs. The movie is insanely watchable.

Titanic could be the most addictive movie I ever seen, without using any fan-bait troops. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Did Cap make this title.

It's Cap in my headcanon.

your headcanon is confirmed by the word of god

• Like 1