Eric Lasagna

THE BATMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 134M OW DOM, 258.2M WW | Biggest WB opening since BvS. First non Disney-affiliated 100M OW since 2018

8 minutes ago, Cap said:

oh now you all made his MAD

😂😂😂

There’s a very quick solution to all of this nonsense happening right now. I can just close the thread until comScore comes back online. But let’s not go there yet!!

Welll I WAS about to make another snarky post but now with the threat of Thread Closure, I'll behave. 

Instead I'll just snark at you privately. 👼 :lol: 

(ftr I wasn't exactly mad, more reminding folks here that some fan-bases would like to be in DC's position right now)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

I'm getting flashbacks to Batman Returns. For those who don't remember, Batman Returns "disappointed" because of the astronomical expectations from the previous solo Batman movie (Batman 89). They blamed it on the movie being too dark for kids. So they scrapped Burton's Batman 3 and greenlit Schumacher's happy meal approved Batman Forever which did make way more money than Batman Returns but wasn't really made for older Batman fans and also lead to Batman and Robin.

I honestly don't know what WB will do if The Batman doesn't hit 300m DOM or 750m WW but we might not get a Reeves trilogy.

You have a point, the comparison is apt. But 30 years from now, no one will remember The Batman. Everyone still remembers and references Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman from Batman Returns. Because it was sexy and fun

• ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, El Gato said:

For how much longer though? If Batman can barley get 115M what chances do Flash, Black Adam, Shazam and Blue Beetle have? 

4 of the last films have been flops/disappointments from DC (Shazam, BOP, WW84, TSS). What good is critical acclaim if nobody cares. 

*blinks*

*blinks again*

*blinks some more for good measure*

Here's a thought.  How 'bout we wait until we actually get an OW number before crying out THE END IS NEAR.

Better yet, why not see what the overall DOM/WW numbers are after its run before pressing the panic button.

IT'S A CRAZY IDEA, BUT IT JUST.... MIGHT.... WORK!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

*blinks*

*blinks again*

*blinks some more for good measure*

Here's a thought.  How 'bout we wait until we actually get an OW number before crying out THE END IS NEAR.

Better yet, why not see what the overall DOM/WW numbers are after its run before pressing the panic button.

IT'S A CRAZY IDEA, BUT IT JUST.... MIGHT.... WORK!!!

It’s not looking too good. Anything under 130M is worthy of a meltdown. 140-150M is decent but I can work with that. Anything over 150M would be perfect. I’m allowed to express my disappointment at the numbers coming in so far, I have high expectations for DC… 2022 is supposed to be a good year for them! So far, not a great start 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 2

10 minutes ago, Flopped said:

If you asked a frat boy film student the kind of Batman movie he'd wanna make, he'd say "3 hours long, super dark like Fincher, and a detective story." 

The days of filmmakers who knew who to make smart but entertaining blockbusters are behind us. That includes the bore that was Nolan's trilogy. 

we had enough "FUN" cbm tbh

blockbuster ain't a genre btw

• Like 2

I keep forgetting that weekends like this bring out the absolute worst posters in the history of box office tracking, and the worst is not a single one of you have any clue what you are talking about.  There are no numbers yet!  None.  ComScore is fucking wrecked right now.  Anyone that says they have a solid, verifiable number is guessing.  Period.  

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

I keep forgetting that weekends like this bring out the absolute worst posters in the history of box office tracking, and the worst is not a single one of you have any clue what you are talking about.  There are no numbers yet!  None.  ComScore is fucking wrecked right now.  Anyone that says they have a solid, verifiable number is guessing.  Period.  

I think it's about tree fiddy

1 minute ago, El Gato said:

It’s not looking too good. Anything under 130M is worthy of a meltdown. 140-150M is decent but I can work with that. Anything over 150M would be perfect. I’m allowed to express my disappointment at the numbers coming in so far, I have high expectations for DC… 2022 is supposed to be a good year for them! So far, not a great start 

Expressing disappointment is fine and a time honored tradition 'round these parts.  Proclaiming doom and gloom...  Okay that's also a time honored tradition, but one I'm not as particularly fond of.

Just gently reminding you that many fanbases (and, no, not just Star Wars ones as there are more than a few that could come to mind right now) would love to be in a position where they could get "disappointed" in such a fashion.

Put simply it doesn't "suck" to be a DC fan right now.  Not remotely.  That more than anything is what... irked me.

===

Also I would gently remind that it's not whether or not you, I or even most of this board thinks that this is a disappointing run. It's whether or not the Head Beancounters Honchos over at WB thinks it is a disappointing run.

I would not be so quick to presume that they are going to see this as big of a disaster as you seem to think they'll see it as.

Plus, you know, we don't even have Friday numbers in yet, never mind the OW.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RthHome said:

Think the number Gitesh gave earlier 58m should at least be where it gets to, see how it goes.

OK and we’re back. I hope we all can remember my mothers golden rule. Never post anything when you’re angry. Write  your post, read it back to yourself. And ask yourself. Do I really need to hit send?

• Like 3

Pretty decent growth from previews then. Maybe 125-145? ~ 138 is parity with Begins and smh, so if it hits the upper end it'll end up pretty decent.

Anybody got crumbs on Uncharted/Dog/Spidey?

• Like 1

Told you all but people didn't listen. Really happy about the numbers.

WOM is great , Friday growth is fantastic. Wait for Saturday ,it will get very close to 150m OW. With no competition 400m will be cake walk. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, HELENNN said:

I was not here when The Matrix 4 flopped.  Can someone tell me if it broke the record of Mortal Kombat's 4M HBO MAX views?  Was the fallout on here pretty bad?

Not really much of a meltdown there, since we were all expecting it to flop anyway. It's a movie that nobody asked for, was released at around the same time as Endgame 2, and was day and date on top of that.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 2

6 minutes ago, HELENNN said:

I was not here when The Matrix 4 flopped.  Can someone tell me if it broke the record of Mortal Kombat's 4M HBO MAX views?  Was the fallout on here pretty bad?

I just searched and it was 2.8m households according to Samba but that was only for 5 days and I’m not sure if they did a 30 day update. 

There wasn’t much of a fall out on here, because it looked ready to flop a few weeks before it came out. 

• Like 2