Eric Prime

THE BATMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 134M OW DOM, 258.2M WW | Biggest WB opening since BvS. First non Disney-affiliated 100M OW since 2018

1 hour ago, Lorieth said:

I love The Batman, but it's by no means an original or fresh movie. The Sev7n and Zodiac similarities couldn't be more obvious even if they tried to hide it. Mix that with a little of Chinatown, and you got the movie. 

I'm not saying it's good or bad, most comic book movies steal from other movies. But taking from other movies is not something as bad as people say, or even illegal. If that was the case, Tarantino should be in jail. 

The Batman is still an amazing movie.

Everything is usually based on something. 
Seven and Zodiac were throwbacks. Especially the latter. 

I don’t think we’d even be having this conversation if it wasn’t a ‘comic book movie’. Literally every mainstream movie is influenced or can be compared to something else. It’s one of those modern phenomenon fixations that culture is obsessed with the discourse of comic book movies being ‘unoriginal’. 

Anyway, we all seem to like or love the movie. Which is the main :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lorieth said:

I love The Batman, but it's by no means an original or fresh movie. The Sev7n and Zodiac similarities couldn't be more obvious even if they tried to hide it. Mix that with a little of Chinatown, and you got the movie. 

I'm not saying it's good or bad, most comic book movies steal from other movies. But taking from other movies is not something as bad as people say, or even illegal. If that was the case, Tarantino should be in jail. 

The Batman is still an amazing movie.

Those are the laziest, most obvious movies to steal from. 

• Disbelief 1

Wow, so all of Croods2’s late wknd records are gonna fall. Almost can’t believe it, they were so insane 😳   

Will be really interesting to see how long some of these NWH post-pandemic wknd records last — decades?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villain Legion said:

Anyway…

when will NWH drop:

below 1M

below 1000 locs

Out of the wknd top 10

?

Should have no problem reaching first week of April in the top 10 (16 wks) but that second week is a problem with 4 wide releases. If it somehow survives second week of April then 4th week becomes problem with 3 wide releases. Dumbledore opens in between along with Father Stu. April is just a bloodbath with so many releases. 

Honestly it wouldn't shock me if NWH renters top 10 after MOM opens in first week of May. Strange has a much larger role in NWH and I bet quite few folks would catch NWH prior MOM OW. We've example with BP holding great when IW opened and same for CM with EG so potential is there for great hold or even an increase.

Edited by druv10
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

36 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Those are the laziest, most obvious movies to steal from. 

Did David Fincher and/or Matt Reeves pee in your cereal or something?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Villain Legion said:

Anyway…

when will NWH drop:

below 1M

below 1000 locs

Out of the wknd top 10

?

Well, NWH did enter top 10 list of Movies with highest number of days above 1M+ where the record is held by Titanic having 123 "Million" days. Thanks for reminding me~

Edited by Shanks
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, druv10 said:

It should be close to 800M by then.

787M by Sunday

1.6M

4M 13th weekend 793M

3.3M 14th weekend 797M

800M is done deal with the hold this weekend. 

3rd best MCU legs after GOTG 1 and BP! Freaking otherworldly performance by NWH.

if it reaches 787M by Sunday, this means it will have 5 Million this weekend. But i think it will only do 4M this weekend. 

and next weekend it will have 3.3M and after that 2.5M Weekend. which will take it to 794.4 M. 

So i think it will need a bit of push from Sony to cross over 800 M

Some estimated PSAs (these are from @katnisscinnaplex counts, which aren’t full market coverage, so absolute nums aren’t right — but proportions hopefully fairly close):

Batman 750

Uncharted 270

NWH 200

Dog 185

Sing 175

Scream 140

Nile 120

Marry Me 110

Jackass 90    

With nothing coming out next weekend, should see a little shuffling based on these. Sing and scream are doing quite well on low screen counts and might gain, whereas Jackass had an oddly high screen count this weekend and be slashed somewhat. Speaks to the dearth of kid and horror options available atm perhaps.

Edited by Villain Legion
  • Like 1

I'm shocked to see the discourse around this opening weekend. I figured anything over $100m was gravy for two main reasons: The dilution of the Batman IP over the past five years, and the film's marketing making it clear this isn't "family friendly". This bleak of a tone isn't for everyone, especially in today's world.

I wouldn't have been surprised if this actually underperformed (80m-100m)... but I have concerns about it's legs. While it has many amazing moments, I wouldn't describe it as a "crowd pleaser" due to it's tone.

30 minutes ago, PenguinXXR said:

It’ll do at least $4.6M this weekend.

Normall saturday number are around 2x the friday numbers. Sometime a bit more and sometime a bit less. and sunday numbers are 50-60% of Saturday number. So it will be like 1+2+1 or at most 1+2+1.2 = 4.0 to 4.2 M.

4.6 looks quite a bit out of reach. 

Edited by Caylu