CJohn

Alien: Romulus | August 16, 2024 | Fede Alvarez | See the original Alien in theaters on April 26

Set design looks absolutely amazing. What little creature design we see looks equally good. I'm still cautiously optimistic.

Don't Breathe is the only film of his I truly enjoyed as a dark thriller. His Evil Dead film was 50/50 for me. I loved the bonkers second half of the film, but its build up was a little half baked. I haven't been truly blown away from an Alien film since 3. Yes, that film took major swings the series needed. Hopefully, this does something for me, because my expectations continue to lower.

Oh wow this actually looks decent. Ive been heavily burned before with Alien: Covenant, but maybe im now on board with checking this out.

Might finally be the first good Alien movie since 1986.

2 hours ago, NoobSaibot said:

I don't know how its box office will fare, but I believe in Fede to deliver a solid horror film.

That's a little hard to answer. Alien as a franchise has always been pretty niche. If reviews are positive, it could land somewhere between $125-175M WW. Maybe $200M+ in the best case scenario. 

Alien is one of those franchises people love to actively disscuss on the internet, but don't actually support it in theaters, pretty much like Terminator. It was never the case when first movies were released, they were real events and made a bank, but Alien 3 was a turning point, everything since then underperformed with the exception of Prometheus which wasn't even a straightforward Alien movie.

If this one is well received, it might break even, but I don't see it being a real success story, the franchise is long dead, even its best video game didn't sell well.

Edited by Firepower

I’ll echo what pretty much everyone else on here has said. Looks good in a “back to the basics” kind of way that Prey was. 

Honestly, I don’t see why this can’t open at least as well as 2018’s (awful) Predator.

1 hour ago, ddddeeee said:

I like all the Alien movies.

I’ll defend the Assembly Cut of Alien 3 until the day I die. That extra 30 minutes turns it into a legitimately good movie rather than the bizarrely rushed studio hack job that we got back in ’92. Fincher clearly had a vision for what he wanted it to be.

The trailer for Romulus looks good, but as someone else said, I hope that it has more to it than just “slasher in space”, because love them or hate them, all of the Alien movies have been more than just that. Even Covenant was about more than just “big scary alien killing everyone”.

• Like 5