CJohn

Alien: Romulus | August 16, 2024 | Fede Alvarez | See the original Alien in theaters on April 26

Kinda good opening in Italy too with 350k dollars. Especially cause 14 and 15 august are usually here the deadest days of the year at the box office. Let's see how frontloaded is but with that opening shouldn't make less than 1.5M in five days. 

I wanted to love this movie so much but sadly this was a blatant cinematic jukebox of the franchises greatest hits.

i haven’t seen an iconic franchise be this blatant with checking the boxes to appease a fan base since Rise of Skywalker 

• Like 3

I just learned Prometheus is part of this Franchise. So that makes 4 of these I've seen.

I'm not a big fan and don't know the lore, but I know enough about movies to recognize a few homages. A reasonable amount of fun was had.

12 minutes ago, Megajohn01 said:

I wanted to love this movie so much but sadly this was a blatant cinematic jukebox of the franchises greatest hits.

i haven’t seen an iconic franchise be this blatant with checking the boxes to appease a fan base since Rise of Skywalker 

did Rise pleased the fan base tho?

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

did Rise pleased the fan base tho?

No but my point was that Romulus much like RoS leans so much into the franchise’s best moments to mask what clearly is an unremarkable story and script 

hoping its core fanbase will eat it up the nostalgia bait and disregard the subpar storytelling 

Edited by Megajohn01
On my phone, didnt finish typing
  • Like 1

An alien movie managing 80+% on RT after so many misfires is impressive. Prey deserved a theatrical too. Next one will hopefully be good as well and revive the franchise theatrically. 

Just wish this could crack 50M ow in North America. Ah well. 35-40 would do with hopefully decent legs. 

This was boring. The kills weren’t even as good as the ones in the Ridley prequels (why make an R-rated film if you’re gonna obscure the gore so much)? Feel like there’s no way this can be seen as a comeback for the franchise lol. Last act at least makes a fun decision and there is some resemblance of genuine horror there.

The Letterboxd score went up from 3.68 to 3.73 in the last few hours, and its Rotten Tomatoes verified audience score is now at 87%. :ohmygod:

Edited by rihrey
88% now.
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Kinda good opening in Italy too with 350k dollars. Especially cause 14 and 15 august are usually here the deadest days of the year at the box office. Let's see how frontloaded is but with that opening shouldn't make less than 1.5M in five days. 

the 14th is solid, it's only the 15th that gets deflated generally

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

This was boring. The kills weren’t even as good as the ones in the Ridley prequels (why make an R-rated film if you’re gonna obscure the gore so much)? Feel like there’s no way this can be seen as a comeback for the franchise lol. Last act at least makes a fun decision and there is some resemblance of genuine horror there.

Just remembered how awesome the gore in the Evil Dead remake was. If this was even half the splatter-fest that was, this would’ve been a win in my books

The Alien franchise was never about the gore, it always has been around the fear of the unknown, how scary the space and it's life forms can be, what un-godly creatures crawl between the planets and stars.

LMAO with anyone saying otherwise, if you want to see high-level gore galore just watch The Thing.

With these early ratings from the audience, I'm sure this will have at least decent legs. 

For sure it's a revival from the franchise. 

Edited by Belakor

5 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

82% verified from the audience so far

Seems pretty solid, considering it´s R and horror

89% now.

46 minutes ago, Belakor said:

The Alien franchise was never about the gore, it always has been around the fear of the unknown, how scary the space and it's life forms can be, what un-godly creatures crawl between the planets and stars.

LMAO with anyone saying otherwise, if you want to see high-level gore galore just watch The Thing.

We have the right to expect gore if they hire the director of Evil Dead and Don’t Breathe. 

Plus, the trailer doesn’t sell “fear of the unknown”, it sells chaos. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Belakor said:

That’s just the first film lol. But since you mention the first Alien, the violence in that is still so much more unsettling than this. The chestburster scene (the one shown in the trailer) is so tame compared to the one in the original. Plus, Alvarez is known for gore. It’s justified to be disappointed that he didnt bring what he does best.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1