Tokugennumataka

Weekdays Thread (7-10 Mar 22) - Batman weekdays 10.82M, 10.77M, 8.46M, 8.45M

https://deadline.com/2022/03/the-batman-charts-third-best-first-monday-at-pandemic-domestic-box-office-1234973531/

It might have been another Manic Monday as The Bangles would say but that didn’t stop people from going to see The Batman yesterday, even with the top three circuits jacking up their ticket prices by largely a buck.

Among first Mondays during the pandemic, the Matt Reeves directed movie grossed $11.1M which ranks behind Spider-Man: No Way Home‘s first Monday of $37.1M and Disney/Marvel’s Labor Day $19.2M take of Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. Among all Mondays during the pandemic (since mid-March 2020), The Batman ranks fourth as the second Monday of Spider-Man: No Way Home is technically second with $24.77M.

Through four days, The Batman has accumulated $145.1M. The Dark Knight’s Monday is off 67% from its $34.1M Sunday. This coming weekend industry projections expect a -50% ease for The Batman with $67M. There aren’t any major studio wide entries this weekend as Disney decided to take Pixar’s Turning Red off the calendar and send it to Disney+, available for subscribers to watch free.

• Like 1

Considering this did 6M more than estimates on Sunday, I think this is a terrific hold.  Keep in mind too, this is a 3 hour movie, not exactly something that gives a lot of people time to see it on a work/school day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

What would we consider a really good or great hold for The Batman today? $15m? Less, more?

15 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

15m would be a better first tuesday than Captain Marvel so I'd go with that

There's been no "Normal" Tuesday to judge the bumps so far. The last normal Tuesday with a movie earning comparable money on Monday is likely Eternals first Tuesday when it bumped 23%. All of NWH's initial 4 Tuesdays were either holidays or coming off holidays. Same with Uncharted. Venom 2 bumped 9% and 3% on its initial Tuesdays but theaters were not yet all open at that time either.

Every other comp either earned too less or is not exactly a good match for the rating and genre.

So taking Eternals and Venom 2, and finding a mid-point of 15%, maybe a 12.5-13M is the best case scenario. 15M would require a huge 36% Tuesday bump which isn't going to happen.

• Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, grim22 said:

There's been no "Normal" Tuesday to judge the bumps so far. The last normal Tuesday with a movie earning comparable money on Monday is likely Eternals first Tuesday when it bumped 23%. All of NWH's initial 4 Tuesdays were either holidays or coming off holidays. Same with Uncharted. Venom 2 bumped 9% and 3% on its initial Tuesdays but theaters were not yet all open at that time either.

Every other comp either earned too less or is not exactly a good match for the rating and genre.

So taking Eternals and Venom 2, and finding a mid-point of 15%, maybe a 12.5-13M is the best case scenario. 15M would require a huge 36% Tuesday bump which isn't going to happen.

Damn, I didn't even bother doing the math for a $15m Tuesday for The Batman. Yeah, that bump would be ludicrous. I'll go with $13m and see what happens. 

• Like 1

Monday was probably fuelled by some Sunday spillover. In terms of how I think the week will play out, I’m expecting a somewhat luted Tuesday bump (12.5 or so) followed by a bigger-than-expected Wednesday drop that will cause people to freak out (8M), a relatively flat Thursday, followed by a really good Friday jump that will stop all the incessant meltdowns.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Lol I am at the movie and all the 30+ males are going to THE Batman while a group of teenager girls in the lobby are definitely going to either uncharted or spider man for “tom Holland” (he was gushed about loudly)

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Monday was probably fuelled by some Sunday spillover. In terms of how I think the week will play out, I’m expecting a somewhat luted Tuesday bump (12.5 or so) followed by a bigger-than-expected Wednesday drop that will cause people to freak out (8M), a relatively flat Thursday, followed by a really good Friday jump that will stop all the incessant meltdowns.

It's just a bit frustrating that there's no priors right now for how this may act over the weekdays thanks to the pandemic related shutdowns, audiences still returning to theaters, and all Covid-era comps earning too much or too little to directly compare. NWH having its first 4 and a half weeks skewed by holiday numbers robbing us of a direct comp from week 2 onwards. 

That is why I am mainly focused on seeing what the second weekend drop looks like, it will tell us way more than the daily fluctuations can with no good comparison points. Once we have the second weekend numbers, the trajectory and final gross will become way clearer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sabrecmc said:

That seems pretty good to me for a movie like this.  Everyone I know personally is just planning to watch it on HBO in April, especially with higher ticket prices and the runtime. It would be easily 4 hours of my time to go see this, which I'm just not willing to give up. Small sample, obviously.

Each to their own, but the runtime and an extra, what, buck, two bucks, put you off seeing a lauded new event Batman movie? So if it had been an hour shorter and a dollar less you’d have gone? 

Personally I can honestly say I have never not gone to see a movie that interested me due to either reason.  Plus watching a film of this size for the first time on tv is the stuff of nightmares.  

You’re on a movie nut forum here. You must have some damn exciting stuff lined up to be better than taking four hours out to see BATMAN!  For us, a new Batman movie is life itself! Lol. 

• Like 1