Eric S'ennui

Weekend Thread (3/25-27) | Asgard 2 says 11.75 Sat for Lost City

14 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

This would have been a good opening even pre-pandemic.

Yeah, that's the funny thing. So weird to dismiss it or imply any studio would be discouraged by it. 30s is literally in line with Bullock's openings and pre-pandemic comedies or higher like The Upside (20.3m), Good Boys (21.4m), Night School (27.2m), Trainwreck (30m), Girls Trips (31.2m)

Universal would love a 30m for Bros (their Apatow produced comedy this Sept). 

3 minutes ago, Flopped said:

A much, much bigger star 

And Samantha Samantha Mathis >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sandra Bullock 

Prime JH was much bigger than CT for sure. Hartnett, Tatum, Kutcher and Freddie Prinze Jr should make the Avengers-of-early 2000s rom coms where they are all divorced and competing over the never married Julia Stiles while befriending her much cooler friend Kirsten Dunst.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

MARCH 25-27:

1. “The Lost City” - 27.3

2. “The Batman” - 20.9 / 332.4

3. “RRR” - 11.8

4. “Uncharted” - 5.7 / 134.3

5. “Jujutsu Kaisen” - 4.8 / 26.2

6. “Dog” - 2.8 / 58.6

7.  “Spider Man:NWH” - 2.2 / 800.8

8. “X” - 1.9 / 8.0

9. “Sing 2” - 1.4 / 160.4

10. “The Infinite Storm” - 1.2 

11. “Death on the Nile” - 1.0 / 45.3

12. “The Outfit” - 0.6 / 2.8

57 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Yeah, that's the funny thing. So weird to dismiss it or imply any studio would be discouraged by it. 30s is literally in line with Bullock's openings and pre-pandemic comedies or higher like The Upside (20.3m), Good Boys (21.4m), Night School (27.2m), Trainwreck (30m), Girls Trips (31.2m)

Universal would love a 30m for Bros (their Apatow produced comedy this Sept). 

Yes, this is good relative to pre-pandemic numbers for Bullock or comedies. What I think a lot of people try to dance around is that the pre-pandemic numbers for these things were happening at the same time as the increasing blockbusterfication and IPification that people love to complain about. Making a 2 ROI on a 100M total spend is nice but it’s not really going to displace the recent chasing of 1.5 ROI on 500M total spend. 

I think it’s absolutely correct to view this as a good opening and an over performance against expectations. But like I said originally — these numbers being an overperformance demonstrates the weakness of the base case. If people want to see that trend actually reverse, what we’ll need to see is not the occasional overperformance but for the whole reference class to get to a point where these numbers are more like z=0 than z=1.5

16 minutes ago, Villain Legion said:

Yes, this is good relative to pre-pandemic numbers for Bullock or comedies. What I think a lot of people try to dance around is that the pre-pandemic numbers for these things were happening at the same time as the increasing blockbusterfication and IPification that people love to complain about. Making a 2 ROI on a 100M total spend is nice but it’s not really going to displace the recent chasing of 1.5 ROI on 500M total spend. 

I think it’s absolutely correct to view this as a good opening and an over performance against expectations. But like I said originally — these numbers being an overperformance demonstrates the weakness of the base case. If people want to see that trend actually reverse, what we’ll need to see is not the occasional overperformance but for the whole reference class to get to a point where these numbers are more like z=0 than z=1.5

Nobody is dancing around this. 

5 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Glad that we are at least gonna start having consistent non-negligible weekends for a while now. 

Im also very much hyped about the first proper summer movie season since 2019.

• Like 1