Eric Prime

Weekend Thread (3/25-27) | Asgard 2 says 11.75 Sat for Lost City

6 minutes ago, SupermanLego said:

It has to beat DHP2.

Looks pretty tough tbh. Not impossible, but if this wknd is like 19-20, then it finally loses imax next wknd, then Sonic Dumbledore max. Would need stronger holds in the face of that than the last 2 wknds seem to indicate.

Edited by Villain Legion
  • Disbelief 1

23 minutes ago, VENOM said:

That’s what happens when a film gets 45’d. Surprised Strange is getting the same treatment

Don't think Strange will get a 45 days window. Both Shang Chi and Eternals had bigger windows.

• Like 2

Now that girls are coming back, are the families? It’s up to Sonic 2 and The Bad Guys now. The former I suspect will act more like Lego Batman than say Ralph 2, and have a softer opening than the original based on sales so far but the jury is still very much out on how OW goes.

Those two success may determine the release plans for the rest of animated and family films this year in whether they do hybrid or go direct to Disney+/Paramount+/etc

48 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Despite being a thoroughly mediocre movie (but better than The Batman), The Lost City is also the most important movie of the year. Its success is so important for so many reasons. 

You need to treat your The Batman hate obsession.

1 minute ago, Grebacio said:

Don't think Strange will get a 45 days window. Both Shang Chi and Eternals had bigger windows.

Yeah, it’s Marvel. Disney only screws over their animations, namely Pixar.

16 minutes ago, VENOM said:

This tweet is kinda scraping the bottom of the barrel comparing a 2022 batman film to films like shrek 3, the first iron man or transformers from over decade ago.. inflation corrected this comparison looks silly.

He is just comparing similar movies and giving context to the numbers. He does that to every big movie released, I understand that Luiz is sorf of a "hype guy", but I really dont see the problem with it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Villain Legion said:

Looks pretty tough tbh. Not impossible, but if this wknd is like 19-20, then it finally loses imax next wknd, then Sonic Dumbledore max. Would need stronger holds in the face of that than the last 2 wknds seem to indicate.

It already lost a lot of IMAX screens last weekend to JJK0 and a number of the remaining ones to RRR this weekend. It's down to 1-2 shows at the remaining IMAX screens.

Losing IMAX in a staggered way like this has helped rather than all at once next week which would have seen a bigger drop. It's kind of hedged against IMAX loss now.

3 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Is there any reason why this Friday's drops were bigger than they used to be on Jan/Feb/ Early March?

Theater loss and screen loss combination. With new movies coming in, theaters lose older movies which aren't doing well. If there are keeping them, the screen count may be reduced from 4 screens to 2 screens, or 2 screens to a single screen.

6 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Now that girls are coming back, are the families? It’s up to Sonic 2 and The Bad Guys now. The former I suspect will act more like Lego Batman than say Ralph 2, and have a softer opening than the original based on sales so far but the jury is still very much out on how OW goes.

Those two success may determine the release plans for the rest of animated and family films this year in whether they do hybrid or go direct to Disney+/Paramount+/etc

I think Sonic 2 can beat the first. It's sales look quite healthy to me. Something like 4.5*14 seems entirely plausible even if ramp up isn't amazing. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Great PTA for this:

Unfortunately, here in the UK it’s going straight to Sky TV. 

It's a fantastic movie and looked gorgeous in IMAX. Needs the biggest screen possible, but you will have a great time with it at home too

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I also predict that Sonic will have an underwhelming OW and everyone will start calling it a disappointment, yet it will have solid legs and it's final numbers will be on par of expectations.

I wonder how much Morbius will affect The Batman next week. They're both darkish superhero movies but I hope The Batman will start to stabilize soon. It'll be interesting to see what the drop for The Batman will be the week it opens on HBO Max, considering it will be the first WB film to not be released on there day one. Hopefully it's not another Encanto situation.

1 minute ago, Skim Beeble said:

I wonder how much Morbius will affect The Batman next week. They're both darkish superhero movies but I hope The Batman will start to stabilize soon. It'll be interesting to see what the drop for The Batman will be the week it opens on HBO Max, considering it will be the first WB film to not be released on there day one. Hopefully it's not another Encanto situation.

The Batman will be fine. Hoping it can beat DHP2 or even FFH.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It already lost a lot of IMAX screens last weekend to JJK0 and a number of the remaining ones to RRR this weekend. It's down to 1-2 shows at the remaining IMAX screens.

Losing IMAX in a staggered way like this has helped rather than all at once next week which would have seen a bigger drop. It's kind of hedged against IMAX loss now.

Nah. Lost about 33% to JJK but regained about 20% this wknd, still got about 80% of the Mar 11 allotment which will be ~ entirely wiped out.   

Overall PLFs have been more gradual though as LC took a lot of Dolby, will definitely help cushion somewhat.

• Like 1

I think some of yall - in regards to the tweet about what films Batman will pass - forget that such comparisons have always been? Anytime a film is climbing the ranks, in a more regular way, its the norm. Average people reading the tweets and NOT us box office nerds don't think about inflation or how old the films are on the list. 

Go back 24 years and reread Box Office Guru when Titanic was running - same thing and damn it if inflation and ticket issues werent the same back then when compared to films such as Indy or ET or Star Wars. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1