Eric S'ennui

Weekend Thread (3/25-27) | Asgard 2 says 11.75 Sat for Lost City

For whatever anecdotal evidence is worth, The Lost City played like gangbusters with my audience. Granted, it was a pub cinema where much of the audience already seemed a touch - *ahem* - loosened up, but it got some of the biggest laughs I’ve seen in a theater since COVID hit. Definitely solidified my impression that it’s going to have solid staying power in the weeks to come.

• Like 1

Looking ahead at April, I think NWH can probably hang in 10th on the 15th and then get kicked out by Dumbledore and Stu. That would be 18 top 10s — pretty good, but no match for Croods 😏

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

Yep, going with $11.75m and $31m-$32m for the weekend.  Great number.  

Hell Yeah!

Paramount should be blessed that 2022 is their comeback year. Can't wait to see if Sonic the Hedgehog 2 does open to $100M as some people here in BOT have suggested it could.

1 hour ago, Villain Legion said:

Looking ahead at April, I think NWH can probably hang in 10th on the 15th and then get kicked out by Dumbledore and Stu. That would be 18 top 10s — pretty good, but no match for Croods 😏

Don't think any film this comparable to Croods 2 at all. It's the Titanic of our generation after all :)

Edited by Tokugennumataka
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Tokugennumataka said:

Don't think any film this comparable to Croods 2 at all. It's the Titanic of our generation after all :)

Speaking of leggy movies, I think NWH will be slightly above Avatar at last for wknd 15 here :hahaha:

• Astonished 1

24 minutes ago, Villain Legion said:

Speaking of leggy movies, I think NWH will be slightly above Avatar at last for wknd 15 here :hahaha:

Looks like it. May be 2.05 to 2.047. It's kinda crazy how quickly Avatar fell out of top 10 after leaving top 5. Of course losing 3D screens were the major factor, but spending 12 weeks in top 5 and leaving top 10 2 weeks later is somewhat interesting

Edited by Tokugennumataka
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

It's early, but $11.75m.  

Phew, $30m+ locked. 

Really looking forward to seeing the film on Tuesday in a “preview”, opens here in 3 weeks. 

Morbius, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, The Bad Guys, Fantastic Beasts, The Northman

Operation Mincemeat, Father Stu and The Lost City all open within 2 weeks of each other here in the UK. Crowded. 

Morbius is having a 4 day to try and beat Sonic. Bad Guys has two full days of showing today and yesterday to have a 5 day opening. Lost City opens on the 4 day bank holiday Easter weekend so I’m sure it’ll still do well. 

18 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's a fantastic movie and looked gorgeous in IMAX. Needs the biggest screen possible, but you will have a great time with it at home too

Haha that’s great you seen it in IMAX. I wonder what the director thinks of that, I seen on Instagram he was annoyed about the positive audience RT score because he’s worried he’s “sold out” now 😂

Nice to see a film which is not a sequel, prequel or remake open well.  I don't think star power matters nearly as much as it used to but I think the combo here really made it an easy sell.  I'm going to try to check it out today.  Hoping it has really good WOM and it clears 100M.  

Completely random thoughts for the weekend:

Watched the original Spiderman and part two over the last few days.  JK Simmons should have won an oscar for best supporting.  He's just so good in both of them.  I used to like the second one more but the original is still the best.  Both really hold up well though.  

Saw X last week and it's really good, imo.  It's a throw-back to 70's horror and the cast is quite good.  The films is very violent, has lots of nudity and most surprising of all, it has one of the more interesting scripts I've seen in a horror movie.  There's some really good dialogue and quiet scenes of the characters just talking and espousing their opinions.  Looking forward to the prequel, "PEARL".

Saw a film from 2006 last night called The Ultimate Gift.  A very young and pre-Little Miss Sunshine Abigail Breslin is in it and she's just as charming in this one as she is in Sunshine.  It kind of has a Brewster's Millions vibe and it's on Netflix.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Watched an SNL repeat last night with Simu Liu.  I had no idea he was on the hit Canadian show Kim's Convenience.  That show ran for about 6 years here and it was filmed in Toronto.  

Just ordered and received two old Christian Slater movies.  Pump up the Volume and Untamed Heart with Marisa Tomei.  Both are really really good and if you haven't seen Untamed Heart, it's a great little forgotten romance story and it's a bit of a tear jerker.  And of course, Talk HARD!...If you haven't seen Pump up the Volume, you should.  

The weekend Spiderman 2 opened, Dodgeball was on it's way to 100 mill, F/911 was in its second weekend and had amassed 55 mill already.  The Notebook was in it's second weekend, had grossed 7.4 mill that weekend for a 28 mill total, and went on to gross north of 80 mill.

Prisoner of Azkaban was in it's fifth week.

Shrek 2 was at 408 mill and this after it opened "softly" and there was a very loud gloating party when it did saying it was going to tank.  It would go on to earn more than 900 mill WW which at the time, if I recall correctly, was the highest grossing animated film (I think Finding nemo and Lion King passed it after rereleases).  Don't kill me if I'm wrong.

All in all a pretty interesting weekend in 2004.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 8