CJohn

THE MORBIUS OPENING WEEKEND THREAD | #MORBIUSSWEEP #LETOSWEEP | SONY SWEEPS WITH 84M WW OW | 39.1M OW | 17.1M OD | 5.7M PREVIEWS

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Everything Everywhere All at Once is quickly becoming the first arthouse hit since before the pandemic. Excited to see how it does upon wide release next week.

We'll see how far it translates. It's probably just going to do French Dispatch-Licorice Pizza numbers overall. Still good, though, especially for A24

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

It did well but hardly a breakout. Its total was the norm for a Paul Thomas Anderson movie.

Dog also quietly passing 60m, likely finish at 62m. That is more 4X leg and a extremely high mark for a movie budgeted at 15m. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

I think Ford v Ferrari is a good comparison for this that I'm looking at. FvF opened $1m higher than The Lost City. At this point (2nd sunday), FvF is about $3m higher than TLC (57.5 vs 54.5). FvF finished at $117m. I think there's still hope for TLC to get to $100m. Granted, FvF had Thanksgiving weekend and then some Christmas legs a little bit. But I hope TLC's legs can start kicking in

Besides all of that FvF also had Awards bumps in January.

• Like 1

The Lost City is largely drawing older women, an audience that won't be seeing much in the way of competition catered towards them until Downton Abbey 2 comes out, and with a number of movies coming up looking to be blips on the radar (Father Stu, The Northman, Memory all seem destined to be puny grossers), it should manage to hold onto theaters for a while to allow strong legs, so $100M+ is still on the table.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Morbius’ RT audience score is actually moving up. Guessing people are going in with rock bottom expectations (thinking it will be as bad as Fant4stic or something like that) so it allows them to fee “oh I guess it wasn’t that bad”

I think that's called reverse word of mouth.

People avoid going to the cinema because of bad reviews. Poeple who went to see it, said movie wasn't that bad. So, people who didn't watch it, give it a chance and them starts spreading that Morbius isn't that bad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Morbius’ RT audience score is actually moving up. Guessing people are going in with rock bottom expectations (thinking it will be as bad as Fant4stic or something like that) so it allows them to fee “oh I guess it wasn’t that bad”

You know you don’t have to do mental gymnastics to tell people there own opinions.. maybe just admit people like Morbius and think it was a good movie and move on eh? That wasn’t hard now was it :)

• Haha 1