CJohn

THE MORBIUS OPENING WEEKEND THREAD | #MORBIUSSWEEP #LETOSWEEP | SONY SWEEPS WITH 84M WW OW | 39.1M OW | 17.1M OD | 5.7M PREVIEWS

1 minute ago, Grebacio said:

Which do you think will make more? Morbius or Secrets of Dumbledore?

Dumbledore, that should easily have better WOM based on what I am seeing from the first reactions. I guess it depends on what it opens to but no Harry Potter related film has opened to below 60m.

23 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Take away the Marvel brand and this $5.7M number would have been for the full Friday. A true testament as to how much goodwill the red rectangle has thanks to Feige.

Yeah but films like that will continur to dilute the brand and confuse audiences.

I told some of my friends that this is not MCU but Sony Marvel - they said it is the same (esp since Spiderman got ppl really confused), they came out of the cinema and told me they will look at reviews before watching the next Marvel film.. lol..

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Which do you think will make more? Morbius or Secrets of Dumbledore?

DOM i assume? Even then, i think SoD is the clear winner. Its opening will probably be on par with Morbius (low 40s), but since the reception seems to be quite positive, the legs should be much better.

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Projected to do 40 Millin OW. That is not good for a CBM movie.

It will make a profit because of it's low budget, but maybe not enough profit for a sequel.

A movie doing 40M on its debut weekend on a 70M budget is amazing no matter how shitty the movie is. 

This will break even in like 3 weeks with WW numbers probably. 

Another hit for Sony almost for sure. Wom will be horrible and for sure it won't have Uncharted legs though. Still if it does 200M ww it's more than enough for the movie. That would be almost 3x its budget already.

• Like 1

Just now, snarkmachine said:

I’m gonna need some clarity on which Spiderman is in the Sonyverse because the signals forms the actors and execs are all over the place

Basically, Tobey Maguires Spider-Man and Andrew Garfields Spider-Man werent in the same universe as the Tom Holland Spider-Man and the Miles Morales Spider-Man from Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, but since the release of Spider-Man: No Way Home, the Tom Holland Spider-Man, the Andrew Garfield Spider-Man and the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man are now in the same multiverse, while the Miles Morales Spider-Man from Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse still is its own universe, although it also features a multiverse, but a different one from the other Spider-Mans. The Sonyverse though is seperate from the Spider-Man-Multiverse from the MCU in the sense that it features villains from Spider-Man that are only loosely connected to the MCU-Spider-Man (the Tom Holland one), but also wants to built-up to a Sinister Six movie and while Marvel and Feige are annoyed at Sony because they dont want those Spider-Man villains in their MCU-Spider-Man-Multiverse, Sony wants to have a part of the Spider-Man-Multiverse-Villain-Cake as well, so in the end ...

we got Morbius.

Spoiler

:qotd:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

I’m gonna need some clarity on which Spiderman is in the Sonyverse because the signals from the actors and execs are all over the place

You won’t get some because there is none and the actors and execs can’t give you any because they don’t have any

1 hour ago, TigerPaw said:

Yeah but films like that will continur to dilute the brand and confuse audiences.

I told some of my friends that this is not MCU but Sony Marvel - they said it is the same (esp since Spiderman got ppl really confused), they came out of the cinema and told me they will look at reviews before watching the next Marvel film.. lol..

It will be funny if Dr Strange pays for the sins of Morbius...now we know why Sony moved it.  So, Tom Holland's Uncharted wouldn't pay those sins...