YM!

April 22-24th Weekend thread | Northman conquers $5m Friday, Mr. Wolf’s fine ass and The Bad Guys steal $8m, and Unbearable Talent has an unbearable start at $3m

1 hour ago, Thanos Legion said:

Anecdotally almost everyone I know didn’t see FK (or in some cases JW) but is at least interested in Dominion.

Anecdotally, I didn't see FK in theaters but will see JWD. 

There’s a lot of baddies in The Bad Guys like Mr. Wolf and the reporter Lily Singh plays. Got animation.

Also the movie is really good. Had a blast with it, Dreamworks best movie in like years. Took my little cousin to see it, and the boy loved it more than Turning Red and Sonic, praising the animation. The best part is though he insistence on not wanting to see Minions: The Rise of Gru which I’m thankful for.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

The Bad Guys looks like $10m for Saturday.  The Northman maybe $4.1m.  

😥 Man I'm getting sad about The Northman now. Thursday and early Friday I was optimistic about $15m+, but now it may struggle to get $12m. Idk what happened, bummer. 

• Like 2

Back to JW, I remember the week before Fallen Kingdom opened, people were predicting as low as 100M weekend for it. Presales weren’t the best, but then walk-up business was insane. I feel like JWD will be similar, just slightly bigger numbers.

170/500

The Northman feels like it came directly from 1592.  Mean that in the best way possible.  Hardcore revenge flick.  Nicole Kidman is an ACTUAL goddess. No one can convinced otherwise.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

The Northman did not cost $90m.  Stop with that dumb misinformation.  

Who started that then? Honestly. Cause I saw Indiewire refer to it as “90m”

• Like 1

No clue how people liked The Revenant years ago but seem to be disliking The Northman. There are some "weird" moments, but I feel like this is more straightforward and faster-paced than The Revenant (and cooler dream sequences too). Maybe it's the fact that it's more gnarly and feral? 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

No clue how people liked The Revenant years ago but seem to be disliking The Northman. There are some "weird" moments, but I feel like this is more straightforward and faster-paced than The Revenant (and cooler dream sequences too). Maybe it's the fact that it's more gnarly and feral? 

Leo

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Leo is enough for good opening. But the WoM and legs? I mean it got Oscar buzz too, but I don't see how that affects WoM.

Probably release date as well. Holidays + awards bump from Globes/Oscar nominations were enough. Bigger budget, higher profile (in terms of everything from the marketing to the cast to the director).

Revenant's wide expansion: 39.8m.

Revenant's following weekend: 31.7m (-20%)

That's insane for B+ cinemascore. But it was Jan + Oscar buzz. Leo is still the biggest draw and legs out well...

2019: Once Upon Time in Hollywood- 41m OW/142.5m DOM (3.47x)

2015: The Revenant- 39.8m/183.6m DOM (opened limited)

2013: The Wolf of Wall Street- 18.4m 3 day/116.9m DOM (6.35x)

2013: The Great Gatsby- 50m OW/144.8m DOM (2.89x)

2012: Django- 30.1m 3 day/162.8m DOM (5.40x)

2010: Inception- 62.7m OW/292.5m DOM (4.66x)

2010: Shutter Island- 41m OW/128m DOM (3.12x)

J. Edgar is his only flop of decade. 11.2m OW/37.3m DOM (3.33x)

When his lowest multiplier is 2.89.. impressive

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cap said:

Who started that then? Honestly. Cause I saw Indiewire refer to it as “90m”

That was the first number that came out for the budget on Eggers' first profile a couple weeks before the movie came out. Since it was the first number, that's the one everyone ran with. Eggers himself said $70m, and that's what Deadline is saying too

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Northman is more memorable, though. All I remember is that there was a bear attack

• Like 3

I'm still amazed that The Revenant had such long legs. As much as I loved the film, I thought it would be a goner after my opening night audience basically had no idea what to do with it and was basically only talking about how weird and violent it was on the way out. I guess the power of DiCaprio's stardom and the Oscar hype ultimately far outweighed that sentiment and the CinemaScore.

That said, I'm not surprised that The Northman seems not to be having much luck with audiences. Eggers's previous two films were anything but mainstream crowd pleasers, and there's no big star nor awards buzz to balance out less than enthusiastic reactions. That said, I love that someone somewhere decided to give the greenlight to give Eggers studio-level money to make another film that basically looks and sounds like it still has that same A24 vibe.

Guess i was wrong about Northman not behaving like a movie with frontloading. Seems like 11-12M now, which is a bit of a shame.

Really solid for Bad Guys. It should have a nice little run to 90M+ DOM, since it will be good family-counterprogramming into May.