YM!

April 22-24th Weekend thread | Northman conquers $5m Friday, Mr. Wolf’s fine ass and The Bad Guys steal $8m, and Unbearable Talent has an unbearable start at $3m

1 minute ago, SupermanLego said:

What do you expect from WB. Absolute dumb company, if Disney are not doing a 45 day release date model then neither should WB.

They put Encanto on streaming for 30 days. Death on the Nile was 47 days. They'll probably do the same thing for 90% of their other movies. Don't even try with this stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Flopped said:

Between Jared Leto's Razzie and Morbius bomb and Adam Driver's inability to open a movie, it's now clear poor Lady Gaga was the one who carried House of Gucci on her back at the box office. 

He's had... two leading roles in theatrical releases, both during the same post-pandemic/pandemic-ish window.

giphy.gif

Just now, Eric is a furry said:

They put Encanto on streaming for 30 days. Death on the Nile was 47 days. They'll probably do the same thing for 90% of their other movies. Don't even try with this stuff.

In the context of superhero movies. Shang chi is going to have a longer run than batman, WB 45 day model is bad. It's killed its legs.

Just now, Eric is a furry said:

I'm sure there are a lot of Sonic fan artists who have OnlyFans for all those deranged Sonic sickos out there (and oh boy is there a lot).

Can I post the Shadow/Shrek/Spongebob meme :sparta: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

What should have been a dreamy April for theaters has turned into a nightmare, and I think FB3 and Morbius would have performed like this no matter what. It is just that now it matters much more than in a normal marketplace.

Is that start an eerie homage to Stu Nahan getting super worried on the call of Creed-Drago when Apollo is face down in the ring?

1 minute ago, Eric is a furry said:

Sorry, we're still a PG-13 forum at the end of the day. And we really shouldn't scare the forum normies here. 😕

NC-17 Shrek memes are an important experience of early adulthood for humans. We should include them here. For humanity.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

I imagine Bad Guys way outdoing expectations hampered Sonic 2 a lot. Both movies don't have much in the way of real competition until June with Lightyear, so hopefully the former holds well and the latter stabilizes.

Doctor Strange 2, if some of the more recent rumours are to believed, isn't quite the Endgame/No Way Home level behemoth I thought it'd be, so I'm hopeful this summer will be more balanced than 2019.

4 minutes ago, SupermanLego said:

In the context of superhero movies. Shang chi is going to have a longer run than batman, WB 45 day model is bad. It's killed its legs.

You're right, it did kill its legs. But the studios don't care about theatrical anymore. And while I'm sure Papa Feige will try and convince them, I'm still fairly confident, 50/50, that Doctor Strange 2 and Thor 4 and the like will get 45-day windows. We'll all cry about it, but this is our future, and we'll have to deal with that. Sad but true.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Doctor Strange 2, if some of the more recent rumours are to believed, isn't quite the Endgame/No Way Home level behemoth I thought it'd be, so I'm hopeful this summer will be more balanced than 2019.

What rumors? Spill!

1 minute ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Have people been expecting NWH/Endgame? Everything I've seen's been pointing to a $450-$500 million gross (which would still be ginormous but not on that level).

• Like 4
  • Disbelief 1

7 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Will FB 3 gross more than Sonic 2 WW when all said is done?

Seems unlikely to me at this point. Though Sonic does have a few markets where it is still to open but those markets were not big for the first movie so I doubt it will be any different for this one. But it could get close to TSOD if it holds well from here on out. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eric is a furry said:

You're right, it did kill its legs. But the studios don't care about theatrical anymore. And while I'm sure Papa Feige will try and convince them, I'm still fairly confident, 50/50, that Doctor Strange 2 and Thor 4 and the like will get 45-day windows. We'll all cry about it, but this is our future, and we'll have to deal with that. Sad but true.

Has there been any indication of Disney releasing DS2/Thor on a 45 day window?, I haven't seen any.

17 minutes ago, cookie said:

At the same time, Morbius was crap you could smell from a mile away and Fantastic Beasts is looking to be Divergent 3 all over again. I'm not sure how well they would've even performed in a normal environment.

Maybe it would have been the same result but still disappointing that Sonic is the only real success story of the month. EEAAO is small scale success that art houses can triumph but not major chains. I really hope Top Gun Maverick doesn’t underperform next month or else we’re in for a rough summer.