Eric Prime

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

Must say that Memorial Day weekend has made a nice comeback after being mostly saddled with flops and underperformers to anchor the weekend for most of the 2010s between Aladdin, A Quiet Place 2 (and to a lesser extent Cruella with an asterisk next to it given its availability to watch at home the same day), and now Top Gun 2 all blowing up.

The Little Mermaid is also destined to make an insane amount of money over the long holiday next year too.

• Like 1

And b/c I'll finish the comparison...from Deadline...

"Updated diversity demos are 32% Caucasian, 30% Latino and Hispanic, 17% Black and 14% Asian."

https://deadline.com/2021/12/spider-man-no-way-home-50m-preview-easily-pandemic-record-all-time-for-sony-100m-friday-likely-1234898486/

Spiderman No Way home - 32% * 260.138M = $83.244M

TGM 66% *126.7M is $83.662M

So, technically, it's a draw for Caucasians for Spidey and Top Gun Maverick - that's INSANE draw out - that is White Panther pull...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

4 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

To be honest, I don’t think TGM is a crazy breakout like BP. If you look at daily trend from preview to Sunday, BP simply had much more momentum carried over. Saturday gross was 30% higher than true Friday but TGM only had 16%. As for Sunday, BP’ sunday was 18% higher than true Friday and TGM Sunday is 13% higher than friday. And do remember BP is a CBM that supposed to be frontloaded but somehow that movie defied expectations and keep trending upward from hour to hour. I don’t feel the same for TGM in the past few days. The trending was great but not crazy. 

I dont think you should compare weekend trend for a movie in Feb and memorial weekend. Memorial weekend is almost like start of the summer. Quite a few school districts finish their school year. Its also one of the weekends where you see tons of travel. Also with this being the 1st long weekend in a while, people are in a mood to vacation than go to movies. So best comps are movies released during this weekend and we have not had a movie with strong trends like for eons. 

Another benefit TGM will have over BP is summer legs. That would help it big time. Plus this is playing strong in markets beyond the coasts and so that should help with its legs big time. I dont see < 3x 4-day OW at this point. I think 2nd weekend will confirm that for sure. 

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Nah, MOM will be much lower Caucasian for overall DOM OW...

66% Caucasian of $126.7M (the 3 day) is $83.662M

35% Caucasian (MoM's Diversity breakdown) of $187.420 (the 3 day) is $65.597M

I just realised no way home only got 32% audience from white demo. Aren't those 3 spiderman all white?? Both movies did well with latino with one common, the movie contain some parts of dialgue in Spanish. Too bad TGM didn't have those Spanish-speaking moment. 

1 minute ago, Borobudur said:

I just realised no way home only got 32% audience from white demo. Aren't those 3 spiderman all white?? Both movies did well with latino with one common, the movie contain some parts of dialgue in Spanish. Too bad TGM didn't have those Spanish-speaking moment. 

It has nothing to do with people speaking Spanish for really brief scenes in the movies. It's just the audience base for MCU vs the audience base for Top Gun. 

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

lol latino people won't show up just because theres like 5 seconds of lines in spanish. Marvel is just that big for the demo and particularly Spidey carries big nostalgia from the 70s and of course Tobey era was massive even by worldwide standards. 

• Like 1

One aspect of this success i really appreciate is that it should show Hollywood that old-school action filmmaking (meaning using mostly practical effects and real stunts) can still lead to an opening like this.

It also shows in the demographics for this movie: Older people, who are probably fans of 80s and 90s style action cinema really turned up for this.

Of course, making it feel like a 90s action movie alone isnt enough (Ambulance sad numbers show this), but Top Gun Maverick shows that the combination of right concept + fitting actor(s) + just making a good movie can work now as it did back in 1995.

I really hope that this could lead to studios giving more "traditional" action filmmaking more chances.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

This is simply because white are the oldest demo in USA. There are around 60% white among US population but looking closer to those above 65, the white % goes up to 76% and % keep rising if you zoom in older demo. 

marvel is hugely associated with younger demo and since marvel brand aren’t a big draw among olds, you can expect that naturally translate to a lower white turnout.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

One aspect of this success i really appreciate is that it should show Hollywood that old-school action filmmaking (meaning using mostly practical effects and real stunts) can still lead to an opening like this.

It also shows in the demographics for this movie: Older people, who are probably fans of 80s and 90s style action cinema really turned up for this.

Of course, making it feel like a 90s action movie alone isnt enough (Ambulance sad numbers show this), but Top Gun Maverick shows that the combination of right concept + fitting actor(s) + just making a good movie can work now as it did back in 1995.

I really hope that this could lead to studios giving more "traditional" action filmmaking more chances.

I'd like to believe this, but I'm pretty sure the main takeaway will be once again "nostalgia sells," especially when there was some handwringing over the poor numbers from Ambulance and even The Northman re: the non-IP action movie being dead not too long ago (Variety even wrote an article asking that question in the title right after Ambulance came out). Hopefully Bullet Train breaks out in August: if it underperforms, it certainly won't be due to lack of marketing since I've now gotten the trailer before the last half-dozen movies I've seen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I'd like to believe this, but I'm pretty sure the main takeaway will be once again "nostalgia sells," especially when there was some handwringing over the poor numbers from Ambulance and even The Northman re: the non-IP action movie being dead not too long ago (Variety even wrote an article asking that question in the title right after Ambulance came out). Hopefully Bullet Train breaks out in August: if it underperforms, it certainly won't be due to lack of marketing since I've now gotten the trailer before the last half-dozen movies I've seen.

What are you watching - I haven't gotten that trailer at Cinemark yet, and that includes Top Gun Maverick (and Bad Guys, and Sonic)...

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Exactly nostalgia sells it's not hard to figure out, lets see how if any of the older folks come back for keatons batman next year. That will be interesting to track.

12 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Yeah…or it was just because the movie was based off a nostalgic IP. The one thing people bother to see these days.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

lol latino people won't show up just because theres like 5 seconds of lines in spanish. Marvel is just that big for the demo and particularly Spidey carries big nostalgia from the 70s and of course Tobey era was massive even by worldwide standards. 

This. Also, China won't show up if Hollywood puts their biggest movie star in a third banana role in Star Wars while tapping themselves on the back for diversity. 

Edited by Valonqar

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

What are you watching - I haven't gotten that trailer at Cinemark yet, and that includes Top Gun Maverick (and Bad Guys, and Sonic)...

I got it before Top Gun this weekend and before that with Doctor Strange, The Northman, Everything Everywhere, etc. I know it's because it's the only movie Sony is promoting at the moment (aside from Where the Crawdads Sing, which isn't aimed at the primary audience for the aforementioned movies), but they're pushing it big time. Imagine they'll be premiering a new trailer before either Jurassic World or Elvis.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

2 minutes ago, Eric Belcher said:

Yeah…or it was just because the movie was based off a nostalgic IP. The one thing people bother to see these days.

I was just gonna start a mini-rant about nostalgia IPs and then ...

then i realized what movie franchise im stanning for all this time :sparta:

Yeah, cant blame Hollywood.

• Haha 1

Arguably the funniest reaction to any trailer I got before Top Gun this weekend was the strange one for Smile or whatever it's called (doesn't seem to be online yet). Reminded me of that ridiculous Truth or Dare movie from a few years back.

Truth Or Dare GIF - Truth Or Dare GIFs

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I was just gonna start a mini-rant about nostalgia IPs and then ...

then i realized what movie franchise im stanning for all this time :sparta:

Yeah, cant blame Hollywood.

Sam Neill What GIF by Jurassic World

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Arguably the funniest reaction to any trailer I got before Top Gun this weekend was the strange one for Smile or whatever it's called (doesn't seem to be online yet). Reminded me of that ridiculous Truth or Dare movie from a few years back.

One person yelled a very loud "NO" at that trailer lol.

The Bullet Train trailer is effective. I have a good feeling about its prospects.

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

My mom and I were HOWLING when that stupid trailer aired. Creepy smiles will never be scary Hollywood. Don’t bother!