Eric Prime

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

4 hours ago, mikeymichael said:

Does anybody know where I can go to see the all-time domestic chart as it existed on specific dates in the past? For example, if I wanted to see what the chart looked like on April 1st, 2002? I swear that I remember seeing such a resource in the past. Thanks in advance!

That was the old boxofficemojo before Amazon fucked it up.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I think it is actually far more impressive what Top Gun: Maverick pulled off despite having less people see it.  

I was with you up until here but this is just crazy talk. This is a far less impressive debut than AWE, come on. AWE Mon cume was above the contemporaneous OW record, this is less than half. It’s not even a similar ballpark of strength.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:

I see Puerto Rico came through for TGM.

Thats what they want you to think.

Scientologists regard Tom Cruise as a ‘god,’ help boost his movie ticket sales, says former church member

Former church member says Scientologists buy movie tickets to his movies by the thousands

https://pagesix.com/2019/03/27/scientologists-consider-tom-cruise-to-be-a-deity/

Edited by AJG
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

Numbers aside and who won what, Maverick’s performance is way more impressive than Pirates 3. Different league. 

What the hell are you people smoking. 

17 minutes ago, Show Me The Legion said:

Even a top 12 opener couldn’t get us 100 pages, top 40 certainly wasn’t gonna do the trick.   

Maybe if dominion overperforms.

I think it's more to do with how it fell in line with expectations pre-release as well as being the 7th $180m+ opening weekend in the last 4 years.  We also just saw a $260m opener a few month before that!  Unfortunately, it's not as exciting as it was a few years ago.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I think it's more to do with how it fell in line with expectations pre-release as well as being the 7th $180m+ opening weekend in the last 4 years.  We also just saw a $260m opener a few month before that!  Unfortunately, it's not as exciting as it was a few years ago.

Yeah, that quoted comment is a bit overly simplistic. Page length has a lot to do with expectations as well as raw size (I think the biggest drag on length aside from covid is actually the extremely formidable buzz thread).    

But my main point stands — 187M is not that big anymore in context especially since it was pretty much expected. 127M/160M is not that big anymore either especially since it was pretty much expected. If you know one fell around 80 pages it makes sense to me that the other is ~80 pages.

page length of threads is not a useful metric. Most discussion would go off the tangent about something else. I think this is a great weekend considering how much the movie's BO went up compared to Sunday morning(151m) to actuals on tuesday. Plus much better monday drop than any memorial day big opener(100m+) ever. 

• Like 2

I don't like making comparisons or saying one franchise is better but the context of Top Gun 2 doing what it did unexpectedly is impressive. And nothing can diminish that. I remember the scoffing it received for being a top Fandango choice for anticipated summer release. Not to mention, the constant delays and fractured and questioned moviegoing demographics post pandemic--120+ 3day is a miracle. Plus, it's going to make over 400m meaning healthy legs. It's a 30 year plus sequel to an 80s film that's remembered more for nostalgia than quality with a very... polarizing star figure to say the least

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash

Everyman chain in the U.K. is doing gangbusters. It’s a cracking business. Every friend I’ve introduced to it now frequents it for at least half their visits now. It’s well worth the premium and the best way to see those movies that don’t quite need the PLF grandstanding. 

The types of crowds older moviegoers dread potentially encountering when they go to a film are entirely absent from the boutique experience. 

I imagine Elvis would do great business at somewhere like Everyman. I saw No Time to Die at the one in Chelsea and it was a wonderful experience. 

• Like 1

Everyman chain in the U.K. is doing gangbusters. It’s a cracking business. Every friend I’ve introduced to it now frequents it for at least half their visits now. It’s well worth the premium and the best way to see those movies that don’t quite need the PLF grandstanding. 

The types of crowds older moviegoers dread potentially encountering when they go to a film are entirely absent from the boutique experience. 

I love having Curzon and Picturehouse so close to me. I also go to this much smaller Vue Cinema in Bromley fully outfitted with recliners. If I'm not watching an movie available in IMAX I go to one of those.

You could also fall right to sleep during a movie in Curzon. The seats are really comfy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AJG said:

I love having Curzon and Picturehouse so close to me. I also go to this much smaller Vue Cinema in Bromley fully outfitted with recliners. If I'm not watching an movie available in IMAX I go to one of those.

You could also fall right to sleep during a movie in Curzon. The seats are really comfy.

My options at home are Cineworld and Everyman, hard to justify going to see any movie alone at Everyman due to the cost, but it's great for a group

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

with a very... polarizing star figure to say the least

In the real world he's not polarizing. People generally think he's a little cooky if that, in the past few years he's primarily known as the guy that does all his own stunts. Nobody actually cares about the scientology stuff.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

In the real world he's not polarizing. People generally think he's a little cooky if that, in the past few years he's primarily known as the guy that does all his own stunts. Nobody actually cares about the scientology stuff.

Nah, the scientology thing was a pretty big deal. It was literally parodied in South Park. And there's been the rise of scientology documentaries. He certainly rebuilt his brand and image since then but it was a rough stretch that dimmed his star post War of Worlds. 

There was no doubt during mid noughties(2005/6) timeframe, things went south for cruise. War of the Worlds disappointed relative to expectations back then. Supposedly he had a fallout with Spielberg as well. But next year MI3 despite very good reviews had shockingly low OW(47m) despite opening 6 years after MI2. He had then flops like Lion of the Lambs. His come back of sorts was small role in Tropical Thunder. MI sequels since then cemented his BO status though movies like Knight and day, Edge of Tomorrow, Oblivion, Jack Reacher movies and The Mummy all disappointed big time. 

This mega success should hopefully start a new resurgence and MI 7/8 benefit from it as well. 

• Like 1