EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (6/3-5) | Top Gun 2 drops 29% for 90M. The smallest second weekend drop ever for a 100M+ opener!

Top Gun's success isn't just good for cinemas but also for local economies as well. I mentioned this last week but there was a doom and gloom when lockdowns happened that major cities and towns would become empty but honestly I think the allure of going out is too strong and people like being together too much. 

7 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I miss the 1990s and early 2000s... :(

Yeah 90s and early 2000s I get. It was scattergun, but it was fun scattergun. 

Mid to Late 2000s I don't: The Hobbit movie, the Transformers movies and the Pirates movies bar the first were, if anything, less creative than the superhero movie era while being, if anything, less consistently well made. And only 1 of the Potter movies (3) was legit *good* even if the rest were solidly done. Then you had the dirge of the lazy-era Burton/Depp movies, attempts to copy the Pirates lightening and a lot of mediocre animations.

from about 2004-2012 was easily the worst movie era of my life (I'm 40).

2012-2019 is the golden era to me, but also the only era I really experienced directly. Post infinity saga has basically been the covid era. Will be interesting to see what defines the post covid 2020s

https://deadline.com/2022/06/top-gun-maverick-box-office-tom-cruise-record-1235038177/

The sequel is playing broadly: In weekend 2 PostTrak, Top Gun 2 is seeing 38% over 45, the 25-34 crowd delivering the best attendance yesterday at 23% and 35-44 at 20%. Still marvelous exits at five stars and a 74% definite recommend. Men over 25 were big yesterday at 41% (97% grade), then women over 25 at 39% (96% grade), with men and women under 25 at 10% (respectively 93% and 82% grades).

1 hour ago, krla said:

You mean the thing like this, where they had the weekend, weekday and weekly option?

KGpjMmD.png

Yes, exactly! The calendar views, both this style and the full run for an individual movie, are what I most miss from the old Mojo. Really allowed you to view/absorb a whole lot of information on one screen, rather than the straight list form they now use (after you click through original release and domestic to even get there in the first place)

• Like 2

Just now, Maggie said:

So, dinos next week. What are we predicting for next weekend for Jurassic? I say 150M

Realistically: 160 - 180M OW

What should happen if we would actually live in a just world: 358M OW

What i hope for: 209M+ OW

What will lead to a massive meltdown: Anything under 160M OW.

What @charlie Jatinder dreams about: Under 100M OW.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

47 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Nostalgic goodwill yes, famous IP yes, but not every big IP is toy IP, aircraft toy is a miserable merchandise compared to many other big films where they actually have enough content to make toys out of it. Alien franchise, for example, has much more merchandise, but at least first Alien movies weren't created just to sell toys. There's a difference between selling some merchendise based on a movie and creating a movie solely as a cynical toy commerical just to sell those toys, happy meals and (modern extension) market cinematic universe/10000 spin offs/sequels/crossovers.

Calm down son, it’s just a kids movie.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Maggie said:

After the doom and gloom, i have to say Strange is doing pretty good. Over 400M is excellent

Not sure about excellent but definitely feel like it saves face a good deal by getting over 400M DOM. Agree there for sure. It's a nice milestone to reach even with inflated prices.

• Like 2