EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (6/3-5) | Top Gun 2 drops 29% for 90M. The smallest second weekend drop ever for a 100M+ opener!

Just now, Potiki said:

That is what you think until JW3 opens under $50m and gets the 17 day window!

Before anyone gets upset...

Joking Just Kidding GIF

Spoiler

I don’t know if Universal have a deal in South Korea similar to WB’s and Paramount, but if they do, expect JW3 to find its way online around June 28th. 

42 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Well Bullet Train is evidently on the same level as John Wick so I'm assuming you're taking the bet?

You’re comparing Bullet Train to the third film in a series. Come on. Why the hell are you fixating on the arbitrary 170 million number? 

All that was said was Bullet Train — an 85 million dollar film starring an A-lister and featuring other well-known actors — isn’t some niche film. 

if you want to be pedantic, try harder. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LegendaryBen said:

Where did you get this source from? I"m hoping that will be the number because that would be awesome for it.

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Is JW3 going to open under 4 Morbillions? That seems quite floppy but the hype/buzz just isn't growing. Reviews are obviously gonna be bad too. What a waste of the old trio.

3 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

When Deadline is projecting ~$33M (84.5M wknd), I'd say 36 seems within reasonable expectations

$36M would be amazing but that would be a 5% Saturday-to-Saturday drop. I know this movie has performed amazingly so far but there’s still the limit of reality.

Just now, CJohn said:

Is JW3 going to open under 4 Morbillions? That seems quite floppy but the hype/buzz just isn't growing. Reviews are obviously gonna be bad too. What a waste of the old trio.

You be silent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, superduperm said:

$36M would be amazing but that would be a 5% Saturday-to-Saturday drop. I know this movie has performed amazingly so far but there’s still the limit of reality.

It's still not impossible. However, It's great to stay conservative on predictions.

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

4.4 Morbillions

21 minutes ago, Maggie said:

You called the movie niche, i'd say it looks to me it targets the hipster action movie crowd. It's not the usual action movie

Again I meant niche compared to Top Gun 2.

Also I was originally debating that it wasn't on John Wicks level which you guys pointed out made 170m the last movie.

8 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Its pulling an Avatar

Fun fact: As amazingly historic as Avatar’s box office run and legs were, its second weekend was actually inflated. Opening weekend had major weather issues and second weekend had a Christmas Day boost.

Top Gun, meanwhile, was the opposite. Its opening weekend was actually inflated by Memorial Day.

Edited by superduperm