EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (6/3-5) | Top Gun 2 drops 29% for 90M. The smallest second weekend drop ever for a 100M+ opener!

7 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

How does the chances of Top Gun 2 being a potential $1B WW-grosser look? Especially with the uber-strong WOM & a DOM overperformance.

they go up every day, but really need to wait until next week's drop for a clearer picture

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Top Gun 2 pulling a top 10 all-time 2nd weekend is genuinely more impressive than the opening IMO

1. Force Awakens- 149.2m

2. Endgame- 147.3m

3. Infinity War- 114.7m

4. Black Panther- 111.6m

5. Jurassic World- 106.5m

6. The Avengers- 103m

7. Beauty and the Beast- 90.4m

8. Frozen 2- 85.9m

9. No Way Home- 84.5m

10. Incredibles 2- 80.3m

It's the american sniper of 2022. I'm still unsure if AS's 2nd weekend wide was more of a surprise than its first. At the time it was #9 all time for 2nd weekends (tho it appears mojo doesn't count it since it was in limited release for three weeks before).

10 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I was just coming back on that I'm also seeing that and even more now.  I'll call it $25.25m for now, but might end up at $25.5m.  

Holy crap!!! 

36 (-5.3% from LW)

90.5M (-28.6%) or (-15.8%) minus previews:ohmygod:

Edited by druv10
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

34 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I was just coming back on that I'm also seeing that and even more now.  I'll call it $25.25m for now, but might end up at $25.5m.  

Jesus. If it weren’t for JW stealing all the PLF screens, it could’ve been topping $400m by the end of next week. $600m by 4th of July isn’t out of the question, though.

Edited by cookie

3 minutes ago, DAR said:

The power of Glen Powell.

In all seriousness, it's crazy he hasn't blown up yet. Everybody Wants Some was a breakout turn in a Linklater movie. He appeared in Hidden Figures which was an Oscar hit and grossed over 100m. His Netflix romcom with Zoey Deutch was well-received. He was hired to write Captain Planet, but I guess this movie being delayed took a few years off his stardom. Either way, I'll be shocked if he doesn't get a huge job by the end of the year

• Like 2