Eric is Quiet

WEEKEND THREAD: No one went to the Danger Zone :( 145M JWD, 51.8M TGM, EEAAO reaches 61 DOM

$140M+ would be an insane opening for Dominion considering the reception it's getting. Michael Bay wishes he had this immunity when The Last Knight was released. I really want to know how the hell it got an A- after that disastrous verified RT audience score.

Top Gun 2 is unfortunately going to take a big hit now that Dominion is critic-proof. I don't see it getting much higher than $50M this weekend in the best case scenario. Count me out of the $600M domestic total club, but the half-billion mark should happen still.

Jurassic Park - timless classic. 9/10 ❤️

The Lost World - not as good as the original, with a lot of problems, but CGI-T-Rexes still looks perfect, cinematography and Williams music are great and the action sequences (glass/rope scene, running away from Velociraptors in the village) are fantastic. 7/10

Jurassic Park III - not a good film, but at least it's still "people running away from dinos on the island" and nothing more (no train raptors, no military trying to use'em as a weapon, no clones). And it's short! 5/10

Jurassic World - Lack of suspense, lack of tension and the script borrowed from studio Asylum, or another Syfy channel. 4-5/10 because Pratt is good, and it is fast paced, dumb movie with some enjoyable scenes.

Fallen Kingdom - In term of visuals it's the best in the series since Spielberg's films, but the script is even worse and the ending montage shows what this film really is: +2 hours trailer for another unnecessary sequel. 3/10

Dominion - worse than Terminator: Dark Fate! Long, boring af, don't know what it want it to be. Even less tension, suspense and jump scares than in the firs JW, no one dies, zero magic when dinos comes around, Alan is irrelevant and do absolutely nothing, Malcolm was also there (for some reason) and they change him into older version of himself from the original; dialogues, exposition, directing - just everything is awful. 1/10

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

$140M+ would be an insane opening for Dominion considering the reception it's getting. Michael Bay wishes he had this immunity when The Last Knight was released. I really want to know how the hell it got an A- after that disastrous verified RT audience score.

Top Gun 2 is unfortunately going to take a big hit now that Dominion is critic-proof. I don't see it getting much higher than $50M this weekend in the best case scenario. Count me out of the $600M domestic total club, but the half-billion mark should happen still.

Age of Extinction got an A- , but The Last Knight is the only Transformers film i have never seen , cause i could not take it anymore

• Like 1

Top Gun is still doing AMAZING!! This drop was expected, rememeber that people try to see it in PLF, and that was the reason why TGM hold up so well so far, but now he must face competition and lose of theaters like any other film. -40% on its 3rd weekend after so massive 2nd weekend is still undescriblable, film is still on track for +$600m domestic, calm the f down. Next weekend is the Father's Day weekend, leter is 4th of July, the drops will be smaller in the next 3 weeks.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Juby said:

Jurassic Park - timless classic. 9/10 ❤️

The Lost World - not as good as the original, with a lot of problems, but CGI-T-Rexes still looks perfect, cinematography and Williams music are great and the action sequences (glass/rope scene, running away from Velociraptors in the village) are fantastic. 7/10

Jurassic Park III - not a good film, but at least it's still "people running away from dinos on the island" and nothing more (no train raptors, no military trying to use'em as a weapon, no clones). And it's short! 5/10

Jurassic World - Lack of suspense, lack of tension and the script borrowed from studio Asylum, or another Syfy channel. 4-5/10 because Pratt is good, and it is fast paced, dumb movie with some enjoyable scenes.

Fallen Kingdom - In term of visuals it's the best in the series since Spielberg's films, but the script is even worse and the ending montage shows what this film really is: +2 hours trailer for another unnecessary sequel. 3/10

Dominion - worse than Terminator: Dark Fate! Long, boring af, don't know what it want it to be. Even less tension, suspense and jump scares than in the firs JW, no one dies, zero magic when dinos comes around, Alan is irrelevant and do absolutely nothing, Malcolm was also there (for some reason) and they change him into older version of himself from the original; dialogues, exposition, directing - just everything is awful. 1/10

I notice a trend there

Expected TGM to take a solid hit after losing those PLF screens to JWD. Considering that I first thought this would hit around $200 mil domestically, TGM is still doing incredibly well and I expect it to have long legs. I'll get around to watching JWD eventually. Honestly, if it didn't have the OGs from JP, I wouldn't even be compelled to watch it in theaters. JP is still the GOAT in that franchise with JW coming in second for me. I'm intrigued to see how much it drops next weekend.

Edited by Starde

26 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I mean...

Transformers 2 aka Revenge of Fallen (20% RT) 402M DOM with 2009 prices.

Transformers 3 aka Dark of Moon (35% RT) 352M DOM with 2011 prices.

Transformer 4 aka Age of Extinction (17% RT) 245M DOM with 2014 prices.

...so he kind of very much this immunity and then some after a stretch of "bad" Transformers movies.

Transformers 5 aka Last Knight (16% RT) was finally the one with pretty unremarkable box office with 130M DOM. His first two poorly received sequels did exceptionally well at the box office. Both sold considerably more tickets than JWFK and JWD will sell DOM. I imagine even 4 with current prices is over 300M+ DOM. I'm pulling that out of my ass but I bet it would be close.

TGM will still probably find a way to 50M+ this weekend somehow and will absolutely stabilize with super soft drops from here on out. Losing all the premiums was always going to hit it hard. It was absolutely cleaning up on those screens. I still very much expect 550M to 600M DOM for it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Both Jungle Book 2 and Return to Neverland made more than Treasure Planet globally.

Wow never realized Jungle Book 2 had such a big Dom/Int ratio back then. I guess makes sense the original was quite big in the big three European markets.

Strong numbers for it, but Universal really needs to hire better directors and screenwriters for these films - the end of Fallen Kingdom opened up huge possibilities that while I have not yet seen the film, seem to have largely missed out on the potential. 

Didn't even realize the Creed II guy was doing the next Transformers movie and it's due  out next summer and it's set in the mid 90s and supposedly influenced by Terminator 2. Hmm. I wonder if that brand can get back to 300M+ DOM if it delivers the goods? Seems unlikely after Last Knight and Bumblebee each did 130M DOM.

3 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Unless WOM come into play I think 140 is fairly easy. Its actually 41-42 but knowing forum just went with 41.

3 hours ago, Djsoke said:

r/boxoffice - 'Jurassic World Dominion' earns A- Cinemascore

Looks like WOM could be better than everyone here thought though. 

Throws the RT verified score theory out the window too for this example anyway. People were saying it suggested a B or B- yesterday and ruled out an A all together.

$140m and an A- is a win in my opinion. I knew that last hour was too enjoyable for audiences not to leave entertained. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bigscrubnus said:

On one hand, I’ve heard a lot of anecdotes of crowds loving JWD, but on the other the RT scores were making me believe this would be a B or B+, glad I was wrong.

on a side note, the JW trilogy now has a higher CinemaScore average than the Star Wars sequels. A, A-, A- vs A, A-, B+

TROS got a B+?

Lmao, that movie was pure torture to sit through. What a tremendous piece of shit.

• Like 4

41M and 59M OD? That is very solid! I could have waked up to worse numbers :)

And A- CinemaScore?? YES! This bodes very well for WOM among the GA.

Its a very simple truth. Audiences love dinosaurs. And while the story of Dominion may be weak, it has tons of dinosaur scenes, especially in the 3rd act. So while i expected more like a B+, an A- while making me very happy, doesnt totally surprise me.

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1