Neo

The Revenant | Dec 25 Limited, Jan 8 2016 wide | Opening in select IMAX theaters Jan 14th.

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:
  Hide contents

The horse gutting was just nasty/unnecessary. Tell me why we couldn't just see Leo start to gut him and then cut to him crawling inside? What exactly would have been lost there? 

It would have lessened the effect of desperation.  Seeing the guts helped you understand as Leo understands

Seeing the weekend numbers for this, its making me wonder if the leaked screener actually had a POSITIVE effect with this film.

I mean its such an amazing looking film that i bet some people actually went to see the film after seeing the screener, i mean thats what i'm going to do.:D

I was on the edge of hating the score, so fucking simple and repetitive. Iñárritu was like "script is done, principal photography is done, post is done" "now I need you Sakamoto to come up with something that resembles a score, I don't care how it sounds, just do it quickly"

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Goffe said:

I was on the edge of hating the score, so fucking simple and repetitive. Iñárritu was like "script is done, principal photography is done, post is done" "now I need you Sakamoto to come up with something that resembles a score, I don't care how it sounds, just do it quickly"

Score be like:

dun.........................................................................................

dunnnnn..............................................................................................................................

DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

You guys are looking at all this through 21st century eyes, though. There's no reason in the world to think Glass would've had the same reactions as us -- in fact, as grizzled veteran trapper/scout, I wouldn't be surprised if he'd had to resort to similar methods in the past. 

Agreed on that. It was hard to watch, but I think seeing all the steps he had to go through was necessary to really understand his desperation. I also liked that they showed him paying respect afterwards

Score was a low point.

You need a great sound track to show case the scenery.

Like last of The Mohicans Scenery is something we all seen in a National park in our lives but with the soundtrack you are like wow! 

Of course different style, however I imagine Mohicans will remain a popular film much longer then this in the long term. 

It's not an exciting score, but it works brilliantly with the movie.  This movie didn't need an exciting score, it needed one that blended with the raw, naturalism of the film, and that's what it did.

It is definitely simple, but people confuse simple and basic with bad.  I've heard a lot of scores that people won't shut up about that aren't all that great at all (A lot of Zimmer's work).

I wouldn't have wanted any alterations to it, and it variates to each situation that makes it not get to repetitive.  Albeit, it's not necessarily a score you're going to just sit and listen to, but it enhances the experience and without it you'd lose a lot of that naturalistic immersion. 

It's very atmospheric.  Add to the fact that there weren't a lot of great scores this year, it kind of automatically is in the top 5-7.  

4 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I think Sicario and Ex Machina executed the "grimly atmospheric" tone with more flair than this movie's score did, but as I said it did its job

Sicario did a good job, that's true, but it wasn't as fully developed and explored as Revenant's was.