Neo

The Revenant | Dec 25 Limited, Jan 8 2016 wide | Opening in select IMAX theaters Jan 14th.

On 11/1/2016 at 0:44 AM, Blan Solo said:

Final predict:

DOM: 109M

With MLK, Globes and Oscars nominations, next weekend it won't fall below 30M 4day to reach around 90M.

With Oscars legs, I can't see anything below 140M at this point. I won't be surprised if it reaches 160M domestically.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2016 at 5:49 PM, tribefan695 said:

It wasn't anything Oscar worthy, but I thought it served its purpose

Except for the cinematography I don't think anything was Oscar worthy.   A truly beautiful film that showcased nature magnificently but everything else was OK in service of a hollow, over long movie with thinly drawn characters.

Spoiler

The changes in the story simplistically gave it a more audience ready hook (add one murdered son) and villain (cartoon venality) but cheapened the story and the journey and the ending just killed it.  Glass doesn't evolve from his journey and his pain he simply endures then kills.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Infernus said:

So I haven't watched this yet (still holding myself) but from the looks of it I guess this has Actor and Cinematography near-locked? Or can Mad Max beat it in cinematography? And what about the other technical categories?

I think Leo and Cinematography are the only locks, the last one deservedly so - it' a spectacular looking film.   Costume, Hair & Make-up  and Production Design - Max should have a much better chance than Revenant if not the lead (Prod Design nom is a joke).  My guess is TFA is the favorite for the FVX and Sound awards (but I know zip about the Sound Awards)

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

So it wasn't that bad. A bit boring and totally pointless story, didn't care about any of the characters... however, this may be because I fell asleep for 20 minutes, ignoring the most important scenes in the film. So I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and not complain.

Cinematography was incredible; the depth of the images, the landscapes and the portrayals of calm natural spaces and flowers and skies. The fort and the ruins and the rivers, everything looked gorgeous. Really effective sound design too.

Gleeson and Poulter were on top form as usual. Wasn't engaged by Ronnie Kray, and didn't find Leo's performance particularly effective, with some exceptional moments. Brownie points for trying though.

• Like 1

Just came back from seeing this movie. Gotta say it was a powerful movie, from the acting to the tension of survival in the wilderness. My only gripe was that it felt too long which was a result of the story not moving forward soon enough IMO. I also thought that Hardy was given more to do in this movie from an acting standpoint than Leo and if anyone deserves to be nominated for an Oscar it's him. I just got the feeling that Leo got nominated so the Academy can finally give him his oscar after all these years of being snubbed.

Finally saw it, magnificent (though I hoped for even more visually).

After this and Max I finally get why Hardy is so good. Hope he gets the Oscar. He was totally unrecognizable and convincing here. (And yesterday I saw Legend. ;) Three! Tom Hardy roles in two days.)

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, shayhiri said:

Finally saw it, magnificent (though I hoped for even more visually).

After this and Max I finally get why Hardy is so good. Hope he gets the Oscar. He was totally unrecognizable and convincing here. (And yesterday I saw Legend. ;) Three! Tom Hardy roles in two days.)

if you saw Legend, technically its 4 Tom Hardy roles ;)

Mind you, Hardy wasn't that good in Max, he was great in everything else this year though.