Neo

The Revenant | Dec 25 Limited, Jan 8 2016 wide | Opening in select IMAX theaters Jan 14th.

The opening invasion would probably clue people in. But even disregarding the story, its cinematography is surprisingly similar. It even has the same "visual haiku" establishing shots. Almost as if Inarritu and Sohn had come to an agreement that one would make the PG, light version and the other would make the R, dark version

• Like 1

Just now, tribefan695 said:

Really? I mean, I guess if you only saw it once and forgot about it, but if you compare the movies at all it's not hard to find the similarities.

Maybe visually? I dunno, I'd have to watch both again. Thematically, though, their main characters are diametrically opposed.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The Panda said:

The Good Dinosaur is similar to The Revenant?  Are there poorly rendered dinosaurs in the Revenant, or?

I could be a dick and talk about how I didn't think the bear's CGI was perfectly executed, but I won't because I didn't let that bother me.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I could be a dick and talk about how I didn't think the bear's CGI was perfectly executed, but I won't because I didn't let that bother me.

I haven't seen the Revenant yet, so I don't really care what people say about it.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Well, yeah, they have different motivations for wanting to "get back", Arlo's being more family friendly. But they have similar emotional baggage and "finding your strength" character arcs

I dunno, man, I think that's a reach... partially because

I don't think Leo has an arc, let alone one about finding strength.

46 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Well, yeah, they have different motivations for wanting to "get back", Arlo's being more family friendly. But they have similar emotional baggage and "finding your strength" character arcs

I dunno, man, I think that's a reach... partially because

I don't think Leo has an arc, let alone one about finding strength.

Well, it's something he has to do to get where he's going, anyway

• Like 1

Unbelievable....f'ing amazing.  For me this was so intense, probably one of if not the most intense movies I've ever watched (and I've seen a good amount of nasty horror/thrillers).   The cinematography as mentioned by so many was amazing - the weaving, long shots throughout a battle or an upcoming danger...the just gorgeous, yet so dangerous environment captured perfectly .   Direction, amazing.  Soundtrack, bravo.   Dicaprio was flawless, I mean I felt his pain.  I said to my buddy after, I really didn't feel I was watching dicaprio, I was watching some poor dude in the early 1800s.  He was great.  Hardy was awesome also.  Both of these guys should be nominated.  I just loved it, but it is a hard watch.  Really brutal, savage, and just a beat you down film.  I've gotta see it again...and I couldn't care less if inarritu is an egotistical ass in real life...he just entertained the hell out of me

Edited by holcs
  • Like 1

Besides the bear scene what other scenes in the movie were hard to watch? I read a review that said there was about 3 or 4 scenes that had people looking away as they were hard to watch. I know they are talking about the violence but what other violent moments in the movie were really that hard to watch?

• Like 1

On 1/8/2016 at 4:31 PM, The Gotham Bank said:

How can you hate The Revenant? They used a recording of a horse for the bear's sound effects. That's fucking awesome.

Beginning raid scene , bear , cutting open the horse , last fight between tom and leo 

are more reasons this movie is amazing

Edited by takerowns

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

Besides the bear scene what other scenes in the movie were hard to watch? I read a review that said there was about 3 or 4 scenes that had people looking away as they were hard to watch. I know they are talking about the violence but what other violent moments in the movie were really that hard to watch?

Spoiler

Glass' kid being murdered while he watched and couldn't say anything. I'd guess the horse gutting probably sickened some people. The final fight is pretty vicious, too.

• Like 2

I just got out of the Revenant, and I just gotta say....

Wow!  That was like a wet dream of technical goodness.  It was a transcendental experience that left my eyes glued to the screen and the slow mesmerizing shots.  It made me want to rip a raw liver out of a buffalo and bite a big chunk out of it, so I too could understand like Leo understands.

Theres so much raw power in the movie, and when you just let go, and embrace it, it all makes sense.  It becomes an awakening revelation.

You may think I'm up talking this movie too much, but this artwork deserves to be watched in a temple.  Innaritu gets it.

Masterpiece.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Baumer said:

Didn't you watch it yourself?

What's your final verdict?

• Like 1