EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

3 hours ago, Legion and Thunder said:

That’s about 25% drops on avg. Realistically I think it will hold worse than that next week (because this one is inflated), better the week after (because of the 4th) and worse 3 from now (because of Thor&coming down from the 4th). 

Basically spot on with my analysis, I also have it pegged at 660.

I see it doing 30m o/u next weekend (520m), flat on July 4th due to PLF expansion (575m), and 17m the weekend after due to Thor (600m)

31 minutes ago, LegendaryBen said:

@Brainbug the Dinosaur will be so happy if it makes it to $400m. Thor is nearly locked unless it gets real terrible reviews and it opens under $150m. If that and JWD were to make it to $400m, that would be 4 summer hits over that excellent mark!

if I was in the states right now I would absolutely get a ticket for JWD and sneak into MoM, because it’s not like Disney care, right? 

all for @Brainbug the Dinosaur who they should just put in charge of theatrical distribution at Disney as far as I’m concerned. 

6 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Was a typo, i meant 150-180M.

And a 150M OW might be not enough for 400M. Before the summer i was sure that Doctor Strange 2 will open to 200M and have a 500M DOM run and now after its performance and Dominion also coming in under my expectations, im a bit more on the fence regarding Thor.

Is this the time, just like I said under $150M for the dinos and under $70M for Buzz that I mention that under $150M for Thor also seems totally possible, if not likely for me?  I like the $130-$150M part of your range....

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

106879750-1620386242474-buzz_woody_Cropp

4* multiple confirmed by DL.

This is an opening more in the vicinity of Pixar’s original fare (i.e. Coco $51M, Ratatouille $47M), so it could still leg out to $200M+, but built on the back of the Toy Story brand, it’s clear many were expecting significantly more. Lightyear overall was down in its global start, $85.6M versus the top end of $135M we had initially spotted.

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

45 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Holy shit, the early look at numbers for TG2 has it expectedly but hilarously blasting way in front of both JWD and LY this morning.  

This is exactly what I expected going into this wknd, LY takes Friday, JWD takes Saturday, TGM takes Sunday. Perfectly balanced.

1 minute ago, Gavin Feng said:

As bad as the DOM open for Lightyear is at $51M, the total WW of $85.6M is horrifically bad...that's only $34.6M INT...that's gonna make Disney have to make something change b/c that's catastrophic...

• Like 4

Just now, Gavin Feng said:

No chance. Lol. Good old DL. 

Ratatouille and Coco were not related to a behemoth franchise, and more’s to the point weren’t headed for free tv seven weeks after they came out. Disney are going to face the consequences of their actions with this one. 

• Like 3