EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

From what it looked from pre-sales & some of morning shows, JWD is likely winning FSS.

Still very early but that’s a big yikes for Lightyear if that holds up… sub $60M OW felt almost impossible…

Edited by superduperm

19 minutes ago, ZurgXXR said:

It’s a movie….?

Buzz Lightyear isn’t a real person in Andy’s universe. He’s a movie character. 

its a sci-fi movie inside a movie?

from the famous chris evans tweet I understood it was the "biopic" of the guy buzz is based on

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Gopher put it alot better than I could, but I just think people are vastly underestimating how much low-information consumers (aka most people and families) literally just think all the animated movies come out on Disney+ now. Now to cite favorable anecdotes, but I had two coworkers with kids tell me they were gonna watch Lightyear on Disney+ this week because they thought it was on there! That's a hard habit to break.

It isn't that different from what Warner Bros. had to do.  Disney will end up having to do the same.  The trend can be reversed rather quickly.  

18 minutes ago, Eric Lightyear said:

Umm...no? I did post that. Not sure why this is a "gotcha"

Because while you keep warning everyone even when there's no big reason (imo), you keep doing the same "joke" about Disney theatrical releases in multiple threads for quite some time to a point that is very close to trolling. 

This fight or whatever between you and EC is tiresome to read, but you do behave very close to troll sometimes and nothing happen, it does look like the rules applied to us not necessarily apply to higher members. 

If you disagreed whatever, i don't care enough to argue beyond this, but like i said it's tiresome to read and he's not necessarily wrong, so maybe there's room to change.

• Thanks 1

I don't think regular moviegoers know about Tim Allen's politics, but I do think across the aisle people do know that Tim Allen plays Buzz Lightyear, so you probably have many regular ass liberals going "Wait, why isn't Tim Allen playing Buzz anymore?" And also, "Why isn't Buzz Lightyear a toy anymore?" and "Wait, what's going on?"

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Next weekend will be important. A big adult aiming film and a horror film. Really need Elvis and Black Phone to perform

Yeah, i really hope Elvis do +30M and Black Phone do 20M or something, and i think both is possible.

I think these type of movies doing well is way more important than something like JW or Lightyear. 

Theaters need movies that appeal beyond the franchises, or an inssuferable future could happen.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, superduperm said:

Still very early but that’s a big yikes for Lightyear if that holds up… sub $60M OW felt almost impossible…

Ant it isnt like Dominion has a great hold or anything, it imo looks at a mid-to-high 50s weekend ... if Lightyear goes under that, that would kind of tragic.

16 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I don't disagree with everything here and I appreciate you expressing it with respect, but then I look at the schedule for even September or October or even the early part of next year and I think......what in the world among the vast majority these movies is doing more than 5m OW then leaving theaters in a week? There is definitely, definitely a higher percentage of movies that just do 4m and then disappear from theaters with nothing to fill than there used to be, when even the dumb Liam Neeson joints would have hit 12m+ OW and kept some money flowing into theaters for once. I agree that the future for movies isn't all bad. But we had people get used to streaming, short windows, and staying home. I just don't know if the genie ever goes fully back in the bottle. I don't see how it can.  I don't know where it ultimately ends up, but I do know that when something disruptive happens and totally changes how people consume media, things never go back to exactly how they were. That just doesn't happen.

One of the big 3 will finally put out a subscription service for families after seeing animated performance this summer and the disappointing return of families to the "big" movies and the small ones...

• Like 1

Best 4th Fridays of all time:

1. Avatar - 13.28M
2. Jurassic World - 11.83M (Independence Day weekend) 
3. Top Gun: Maverick - 10.9-11.2M
4. Star Wars: TFA - 10.74M
5. Black Panther - 10.02M
6. Monsters, Inc. - 9.91M (Black Friday) 
7. The Incredibles - 9.90M (Black Friday) 
8. Incredibles 2 - 9.73M
9. The Chronicles of Narnia - 9.70M (Christmas/New Year holidays) 
10. The Avengers - 9.66M

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

It isn't that different from what Warner Bros. had to do.  Disney will end up having to do the same.  The trend can be reversed rather quickly.  

I mean to be fair Disney+ not only has a larger base than HBO Max but also appeals primarily for families. It’s easier for WB to buck that trend mainly because their brands aren’t as big.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

It's very, very, very different. I don't know if you have kids, but I have helped raise enough of my nieces and nephews to know that getting a bunch of kids to the theater, buying all their food, and getting them to behave is hard, expensive, and annoying as fuck. Once you introduce that streaming option where you can just turn it on at home without the hassle, parents and families are going to demand that shit keeps being a thing. It's just not the same as me and a bunch of 30 year old coworkers seeing Batman.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

9t3Wwrz.png

if you completely ignore the 1/10 and 10/10 numbers and use 8-9 and 2-3 to estimate what they "should" be, you're going to get something like a 7.1 "fake imdb score" which would be alongside the mediocre pixar films.  Honestly don't know if that's helpful or pure fake data b.s. . 

Note: I do think Minions 2 will open to 60m+, it does well with audiences at my theater, shorter so it can have multiple runtimes and Illumination uses the money for marketing instead of for creativity, story and talent and it pays off.

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Gopher put it alot better than I could, but I just think people are vastly underestimating how much low-information consumers (aka most people and families) literally just think all the animated movies come out on Disney+ now. Now to cite favorable anecdotes, but I had two coworkers with kids tell me they were gonna watch Lightyear on Disney+ this week because they thought it was on there! That's a hard habit to break.

I totally get that... I think though... Just like the those families grew accustomed over a 2 year span to new Pixar/WDAS going directly to Djsney+, they'll grow accustomed to those same movies no longer being available on Disney+ for 45 to 90 days. But, instead, being available only in theaters. And, because the only option would be waiting 45 to 90 days, they'll start going back to the theater especially if the kid(s) really wanna see the movie because other kid(s) see and they're talking about it. 

I knew people that thought big WB movies going directly to HBO Max was a forever thing. Then, when they realized it wasn't, they started seeing stuff in the theater again... Like the latest Batman. 

It'll take a little time to break the habit. More good movies with good WOM that are exclusively in theaters will drive people back too. Rather than waiting, they'll catch it on the big screen to be a part of the conversation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

I mean to be fair Disney+ not only has a larger base than HBO Max but also appeals primarily for families. It’s easier for WB to buck that trend mainly because their brands aren’t as big.

I agree - I dumped D+ b/c my kids didn't need it anymore, and there was so little for me.  

You get D+ for your kids.  You get other streaming services for you.

This is why D+ has the triple with Hulu and ESPN+ - they cover mom, dad, and the kids...

I was offered D+ for $2.99/year b/c I have Hulu right now...I still haven't accepted the deal after 2 months b/c there's so little I want to see since last November that I haven't seen...and my TMobile device got me free years of Apple TV (haven't watched a show yet, but it was only early May when I got it) and Parmount Plus (have used this, but got it 1st and got in the habit)....

That gay scene from Strange World that was shown at Annecy this week will most likely not make it to the final film once the Lightyear numbers come in. At best it'll be mentioned in the novelization. I envy the people at that festival. They got to see a scene that will be locked away in the Disney vault for the rest of existence. The movie itself will likely see the grand return of Premier Access.

I'll also be shocked if Elemental next year even sniffs the big screen. The premise itself is already pretty dull and it can't even rely on brand power.

Am I overreacting? Maybe, but I wouldn't put anything past Chapek.

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It's very, very, very different. I don't know if you have kids, but I have helped raise enough of my nieces and nephews to know that getting a bunch of kids to the theater, buying all their food, and getting them to behave is hard, expensive, and annoying as fuck. Once you introduce that streaming option where you can just turn it on at home without the hassle, parents and families are going to demand that shit keeps being a thing. It's just not the same as me and a bunch of 30 year old coworkers seeing Batman.

Shit, my 12 year old little cousin has been asking me since literally the day after we saw The Bad Guys when it was as coming to streaming. He was confused on why it wasn’t there either a few weeks later.

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I do have a child, and I also know that as annoying as it can be, families want to get out of the house.  All it takes is the option being removed.  

It will happen.  

• Like 2

Just now, EmpireCity said:

I do have a child, and I also know that as annoying as it can be, families want to get out of the house.  All it takes is the option being removed.  

It will happen.  

Your lips to God's ears! Most families I know are enamored of the D+ option, for obvious reasons, but maybe once it is eliminated, they'll go back without any other choice. It's possible!

• Like 2

Just now, BadOlCatSylvester said:

That gay scene from Strange World that was shown at Annecy this week will most likely not make it to the final film once the Lightyear numbers come in. At best it'll be mentioned in the novelization. I envy the people at that festival. They got to see a scene that will be locked away in the Disney vault for the rest of existence. The movie itself will likely see the grand return of Premier Access.

I'll also be shocked if Elemental next year even sniffs the big screen. The premise itself is already pretty dull and it can't even rely on brand power.

Am I overreacting? Maybe, but I wouldn't put anything past Chapek.

Now, this is actual overreaction, stop this shit. They literally can’t remove the scene this far out, also bigots should be like the last of their concern. Lightyear didn’t flop because of bigoted snowflake conservatives but a combination of looking very unappealing and families having been a bit conditioned to the plus. 

• Like 1