EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

Just now, Nublar7 said:

With Fathers Day, is $60 million on the table?

Atm, i dont think so.

Lets use an optimistic scenario, i. e. EC's 15M high end for Friday and a good Sat jump as well as it beeing flat on Sunday:

15M

21M (+40%)

21M (-0%)

57M weekend. And thats beeing very optimistic.

Ofc, what could (hopefully!) happen is Friday coming in even higher due to strong evening shows. Should Friday reach near 16M, 60M is maybeeeeeeee on the table.

Overall, imo its going to have a 52 - 56M weekend.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Look, I'm not going to belabor the point and get into an argument, but I agree none of us have the background or the inside knowledge or the skin in the game industry wise you do, but we are still people, and a loving community, and I think we should try to talk to each other with a little more respect.

I agree, an consider it disrespect to be so incredibly flippant (and wrong) about the theatrical industry.  I've sat and listened to so many on this forum and twitter and in the media and even in the industry that have shit all over theaters for the better part of 2+ years.  It's tiring, especially when so many have been blatantly and hilariously wrong.  So to have it start up all over again in the last 24 hours with the doom predictions not based anywhere in reality is a bit triggering.  

Respect is a 2 way street.  

Edited by EmpireCity
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Again, nobody is getting yelled at or called hysterical for pointing out something like that.  You will get called hysterical if you extrapolate from that number that Disney will abandon theatrical, inflation has now devastated the box office, we have to look at the rest of the year different, budgets will be completely slashed and streaming is once again king.  

I hope that clears that up for the people with the terrible reading comprehension.  

Seeing as no one in this thread is making those arguments, guess there is no need to argue about it! You are correct, reading comprehension clears it all up

Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

I honestly think Disney has removed the "event" status from Pixar, but it is not a permanent/irreversible thing.

The whole straight-to-D+/30 day theatrical window in the post-covid world has always seemed so stupid to me. Yes, getting steaming revenue is great but why cannibalize your theatrical revenue? It would be like if studios had decided to do same day DVD releases back in the early 2000s because of the popularity of the medium. That wouldn't result in much higher dvd sales, it would just lower the box office.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, M37 said:

Seeing as no one in this thread is making those arguments, guess there is no need to argue about it! You are correct, reading comprehension clears it all up

Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

No. I said inflation is hurting the box office and that Disney will probably skip theatrical for some of their animated movies. Still agree with those statements in fact, no matter how "wrong" I might be.

I will echo the Tim Allen stuff... while my uber conservative circles have had the mommy groups all up about the Kiss, I have seen much chatter about Tim Allen, from the adult side of the coin, it was/is definitely an issue. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BruiseCruise said:

Just below The Lion Kings (1994) total of 422,7M (including re-releases ofc) and therefore current #30 on the all-time DOM chart.

Assuming Top Gun grosses 40M this weekend, it would stand at 462M after Sunday, passing Star Wars as the #20 all-time.

9 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I agree, an consider it disrespect to be so incredibly flippant (and wrong) about the theatrical industry.  I've sat and listened to so many on this forum and twitter and in the media and even in the industry that have shit all over theaters for the better part of 2+ years.  It's tiring, especially when so many have been blatantly and hilariously wrong.  So to have it start up all over again in the last 24 hours with the doom predictions not based anywhere in reality is a bit triggering.  

Respect is a 2 way street.  

I appreciate your passion and nobody wants and supports movies in theaters more than all of us here. Plenty of people have been hysterical and too doomsayer, I agree. But you've overcorrected, man. While it's clear theaters are not dying, it's also clear they're not recovering back to the halcyon days either. Sure, there's plenty of evidence now that theaters will do well for big, live action event movies with PLF like the MCU and Top Gun. But where's the depth? Look at beyond the top three this weekend - it's a wasteland! Used to be you'd have your Best Man's Holiday or Open Range or Dead Silence or Hop (naming random ass genre movies here) that would do a solid 15-20 OW and hang around the box office a few weeks. That doesn't happen anymore. I mean, is a weekend like Thanksgiving 2019, with Frozen 2, Knives Out, Ford v Ferrari, the Mr. Rogers joint, and a couple of holiday comedies and horror movies co-existing even possible anymore? Not to mention, the market for animated and family films clearly has changed and probably forever due to streaming and kids with COVID. You were absolutely right that theaters weren't going to all close and go out of business. But to sit here and whistle dixie and pretend all things are good, and the good ole days will soon be here again for the box office, in my opinion is also an exaggeration, and also an overreaction in the other direction.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Eric Lightyear said:

No. I said inflation is hurting the box office and that Disney will probably skip theatrical for some of their animated movies. Still agree with those statements in fact, no matter how "wrong" I might be.

So you didn't post RIP Disney theatrical animation (1937-2022)?  

30 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

whats the explanation for a "real guy" from the 1990's having access to what seems like tech from the future?

That it’s a sci-fi movie and who cares?

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

big milestone coming up for top gun this weekend. it's about to pass the dark knight rises as the highest grossing glen powell movie.

TDKR isn't dead yet worldwide :kitschjob:

35 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

whats the explanation for a "real guy" from the 1990's having access to what seems like tech from the future?

It’s a movie….?

Buzz Lightyear isn’t a real person in Andy’s universe. He’s a movie character.