Eric Prime

Weekend Thread (6/24-26) | Actuals: Elvis 31.2, TGM 29.6, JWD 26.7, Black Phone 23.6, Lightyear 18.1

33 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Shyamalan and Peele asked for those extended windows. We will see if Scott Derrickson has that kind of clout.

Doubt it. Shyamalan’s movies are self financed so he could set the rules. Peele is still at the height of his powers to demand it.

39 minutes ago, CJohn said:

This weekend is gonna be fuckable as hell. Hoping for some juicy early Friday numbers in a few hours.

Just don't get this weekend pregnant, because that won't end well for the weekend in America. The land of the free*

*conditions apply

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, M37 said:

Just throwing this out there … 

Without seeking to start a debate on the merits, can’t help but wonder if the news of the day is going to impact BO, either by keeping people home, or offering an outlet/escape (we saw some evidence of the latter after the recent school shooting)

I don't usually go to movies on Friday night, but I'm now contemplating catching a movie tonight just so I can have an excuse to turn off my phone for three hours and not doomscroll over the world ending. Don't know what to watch exactly though. I already have plans for Elvis tomorrow with my mom, I don't like evening horror shows, so I'm waiting until Sunday afternoon for Black Phone, and Top Gun, while super super good, is way too propaganda-ish for my tastes to watch tonight. I guess I'll go with...*checks notes*...Phantom of the Open? I would die for Sally Hawkins, so I guess that'll work?

• Like 1

Felt good about both those numbers until I saw @katnisscinnaplex's numbers in the tracking thread which put Elvis potentially missing 10m OD and 25m OW.

I don't see the box office being impacted by the news because of the reasons Eric said. However, I do think we are going to see long-term box office impacts once the 2024 election is overturned by illegal coup and the remaining human rights we have are stripped away in the creation of an authoritarian right wing dictatorship. I do believe that will be bad for the box office, yes. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 3
  • Disbelief 2

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Felt good about both those numbers until I saw @katnisscinnaplex's numbers in the tracking thread which put Elvis potentially missing 10m OD and 25m OW.

I don't see the box office being impacted by the news because of the reasons Eric said. However, I do think we are going to see long-term box office impacts once the 2024 election is overturned by illegal coup and the remaining human rights we have are stripped away in the creation of an authoritarian right wing dictatorship. I do believe that will be bad for the box office, yes. 

I can't believe Avatar 3 will be banned in America for its pro-environmental message. How will it make 5B worldwide now????

2 minutes ago, Eric Presley said:

I can't believe Avatar 3 will be banned in America for its pro-environmental message. How will it make 5B worldwide now????

Captain America about to come back with a Let's Go Brandon shield

• Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Studios don't give a shit about movie theaters. They want movies on their streamers asap. This is what is gonna kill theaters.

Give it a fucking rest, you are beyond annoying in your schtick.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Bold of you to assume there will be a 2024 election. SCOTUS to nominate Trump as dictator in June next year due to a lawsuit filed by Ken Paxton next week which will rely on civilian bounty hunters to report discrepancies in 2020 election ballots.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tokugennumataka said:

The best 4th week totals among the top 20 highest grossing films of all time. Remarkable that TGM is keeping up with Avatar. 

1. Avatar - 69.93M
2. Top Gun: Maverick - 69.05M
3. Black Panther - 57.49M
4. The Avengers - 55.78M
5. The Force Awakens  - 55.55M
6. Jurassic World - 45.24M
7. Incredibles 2 - 44.24M
8. No Way Home - 42.19M
9. Avengers: Endgame - 39.94M
10. The Dark Knight - 39.19M
11. Avengers: Infinity War - 38.83M
12. The Phantom Menace - 37.88M
13. Titanic - 37.57M
14. Beauty and the Beast - 33.72M
15. Finding Dory - 32.24M
16. The Last Jedi - 31.31M
17. The Lion King - 31.10M
18. Rogue One: ASWS - 29.79M
19. Frozen II - 26.87M
20. The Rise of Skywalker - 20.54M

Using percentage’s of the 4th week and extrapolating the rest of the run (only 1st run, not expansions), we’d get these final DOM numbers for TGM….

vs Avatar - $786M
vs Black Panther - $637M
vs The Avengers - $603M
vs The Force Awakens  - $629M
vs Jurassic World - $613M
vs Incredibles 2 - $630M
vs No Way Home - $699M
vs Avengers: Endgame - $624M
vs The Dark Knight - $630M
vs Avengers: Infinity War - $622M
vs The Phantom Menace - $735M
vs Titanic - $1215M 😅
vs Beauty and the Beast - $620M
vs Finding Dory - $602M
vs The Last Jedi - $579M
vs The Lion King - $623M
vs Rogue One: ASWS - $600M
vs Frozen II - $756M
vs The Rise of Skywalker - $598M

Composite Average = $674M

Only Summer Films (May-July) = $631M

A+ Cinemascore = $735M

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Give it a fucking rest, you are beyond annoying in your schtick.  

if it the articles about Paramount wanting to get TGM on streaming as soon as possible and only Tom Cruise stopping them are true though then he is pretty much right 

• Like 1

2 years left until World War 3 finally begins. Ukraine is just a preview for what's to come once the GOP strikes back hard in 2024. Assuming the people of America don't just skip the election out of apathy. I suppose I should make the best of these remaining two years. We all should.

Anyway, excellent number for The Black Phone. Today's news might cause a depression but at least it should easily pull off a $20M+ weekend. Nothing short of terrific for a movie like it in the dicey political climate of modern day America.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

Warner Bros’ Baz Luhrmann-directed Elvis has grossed $3.5 million from all previews off 3,400 locations, which includes Tuesday fan events and Thursday night’s showtimes. Meanwhile, Universal/Blumhouse’s The Black Phone took in $3 million from showtimes that began at 5 p.m. yesterday at 2,800 sites.

Wait so Deadline is claiming BP made 3 mil just from last night