Eric Loves Rey

Weekend Thread (6/24-26) | Actuals: Elvis 31.2, TGM 29.6, JWD 26.7, Black Phone 23.6, Lightyear 18.1

Just now, BruiseCruise said:

First Time i ever saw Austin Butler was in Shannara Chronicles on a flight and here he is potentially with an oscar winning performance

Brad Pitt was on Dallas and Michelle Williams on Dawson's Creek. 

AB is good but for him to an Oscar for this will require a weak field of competitors, I think. The role of Elvis has parodied so many times that it's almost impossible to not be somewhat taken to of the film during its serious moments

Without question, this has to be the most insane attempt at turning something into a franchise I have ever seen. Whatever you think you can expect for the trailer for Wonder 2 - this will go in a different direction.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Overturning Roe v Wade is not affecting Elvis. Boomers are the group who are most in support of overturning Roe v Wade, so why are they going to be too depressed to go to theaters to see it? It hypothetically would affect The Black Phone way more with its younger audience. It is not affecting either, though                      

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Overturning Roe v Wade is not affecting Elvis. Boomers are the group who are most in support of overturning Roe v Wade, so why are they going to be too depressed to go to theaters to see it? It hypothetically would affect The Black Phone way more with its younger audience. It is not affecting either, though                      

Tom Cruise What GIF

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Without question, this has to be the most insane attempt at turning something into a franchise I have ever seen. Whatever you think you can expect for the trailer for Wonder 2 - this will go in a different direction.

Couldn’t be more random haha. Plus, describing that director as “acclaimed” is a reach. 

10 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Hope this mark a come back for a studio that come barely visible in the post-pandemic world. Even A24 beat them. 

18 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

This, Lightyear, and the Fantastic Beasts series will be absolutely fascinating to dissect 15 years from now. All of these movies are weird spin-offs to established and iconic franchises, have little to do with the style, tone, and characters people know and love from the original source material, and even the fans don't care about these movies, while the original source material will still be ludicrously successful and profitable long after we are dead.

In the end, they would have done just as well, if not better, if they were just original stories that had nothing to do with any established IP, but they had to be loosely connected to a popular IP, because IP is the only reason a movie can get made in our risk-averse capitalist hellscape we now call Hollywood. It's late-stage capitalism killing art personified in the worst possible way.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

Get a new schtick.  

The fun part is that my original comment is agreeing with you that studios are dumb for sticking their movies in streaming asap and not keeping them exclusives, and that if they continue they will cause irreversible damage to movie theaters that might end killing them, and we already see the effects of those strategies in something like Lightyear. Just that. I have dropped the "theaters are dead" schtick months ago. The fact that Paramount still wants TG2 on P+ asap says a lot about how the dumb executives look at things.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It's based on a graphic novel, there are like 4-5 "Wonder" books in total that take the story in different directions. The 2017 movie made $300 million on a $20m budget, though, so Hollywood didn't even need direct source material to justify a sequel.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Eric Presley said:

This, Lightyear, and the Fantastic Beasts series will be absolutely fascinating to dissect 15 years from now. All of these movies are weird spin-offs to established and iconic franchises, have little to do with the style, tone, and characters people know and love from the original source material, and even the fans don't care about these movies, while the original source material will still be ludicrously successful and profitable long after we are dead.

In the end, they would have done just as well, if not better, if they were just original stories that had nothing to do with any established IP, but they had to be loosely connected to a popular IP, because IP is the only reason a movie can get made in our risk-averse capitalist hellscape we now call Hollywood. It's late-stage capitalism killing art personified in the worst possible way.

I agree with you intellectually of course, but at least Lightyear and Fantastic Beasts bore some creatively bankrupt resemblance to their franchises. I struggle to see how a 1940s Holocaust drama connects in any possible way to an Owen Wilson inspirational dramedy about a kid who gets bullied, outside of the fact that they both take place on Earth. It'd be like if someone tried to say There Will Be Blood was a spinoff of Godzilla.

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I agree with you intellectually of course, but at least Lightyear and Fantastic Beasts bore some creatively bankrupt resemblance to their franchises. I struggle to see how a 1940s Holocaust drama connects in any possible way to an Owen Wilson inspirational dramedy about a kid who gets bullied, outside of the fact that they both take place on Earth. It'd be like if someone tried to say There Will Be Blood was a spinoff of Godzilla.

Although it kind of was a precursor for Godzilla vs Kong…. 

Daniel Day Lewis GIF

51 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

If this is a serious question and we're talking movie-going:

Many older folks will want to stay home this evening to stay out of whatever protests may erupt this evening.  That said, many younger people may seek escapist entertainment.  So, we may end up with the same box office for the weekend, but parceled out to different movies than originally planned.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

In the graphic novel, the main bully schoolkid from Wonder has a grandmother, it's the story of her childhood during World War II.