Eric Loves Rey

Weekend Thread (6/24-26) | Actuals: Elvis 31.2, TGM 29.6, JWD 26.7, Black Phone 23.6, Lightyear 18.1

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Paramount+ might’ve launched here in the UK, but box office business is booming here. We’ve had two new entries into our top 5 biggest films of all time in the last eight months. 

Not adjusted for inflation, of course lol.

2 entries into the top 5 - damn, that's impressive.

The last entry into Germany's top 5 was TFA in 2015 (that's sad) and in the top 10 it was TLJ in 2017 - though to be fair NTTD stands at #13 (#12 is Skyfall and #11 is Spectre) - NWH is only #43

I am really, really hoping for Avatar 2.

Hoping Elvis does well this weekend as does Black Phone - more movies doing better is good for the future of the industry.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Yup movies are now only lasting 45 days in theaters. Pandemic really changed everything. 

And for many they are patient enough to wait 45 days to watch it on a streaming service at no additional cost. Streaming service is about 5 times cheaper then a movie ticket + food.

So is a rental. It’s no different really as it was before. Just stay at 45 days and bring in PVOD and we’re all good. 
Those that sub to these streamers aren’t going to un-sub over quick film turnarounds. It’s the tv they sub for. 

more fool the studios throwing money away instead of maximising revenue through a number of windows. Just my two cents. I know others feel differently, but I just don’t see any evidence that movies going so quickly to streaming makes any difference to sub numbers. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

2 entries into the top 5 - damn, that's impressive.

The last entry into Germany's top 5 was TFA in 2015 (that's sad) and in the top 10 it was TLJ in 2017 - though to be fair NTTD stands at #13 (#12 is Skyfall and #11 is Spectre) - NWH is only #43

I am really, really hoping for Avatar 2.

Hoping Elvis does well this weekend as does Black Phone - more movies doing better is good for the future of the industry.

Dont have too much hope. Germanys box office is doomed.

What we really need is something like Dreiohrhasen or Kokowääh 3 because seemingly all we Germans care about are BAD comedys!

46 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

No doubt Elvis will have an oldier audience than a blockbuster but you all are acting like this is Downton Abbey or a traditional Johnny Cash Biopic directed by James Mangold. It's still a Luhrmann movie. Butler is not a big star but he has his young audience from nickleodon and mtv series and the promotional stuff it's not that moldy.

A traditional Elvis biopic right now would make the same numbers as Respect/Aretha, and Aretha did what it did cause she died not that much time ago, in 20 years would have been very different. 

I'm 31 and i went to watch Elvis only because is Elvis by Luhrmann, so some of a younger audience will be there and they can make a difference even if not its most bold audience. 

Respect made more than most of last year's Oscar hopefuls, released in 2019 or 2022, the box office is probably 3x as much. A musician biopic being basic has never stopped it from being a hit.

A high profile Elvis movie 20-30 years ago was an easier sell. On the other hand, the Elvis parodies were more ubiquitous back then, the "biopics" about him were relegated to TV movies/miniseries. So maybe it all evens out...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

Some of these takes on Elvis and his apparently irrelevant place in pop culture are....bizarre. He's probably one of the three most famous American cultural figures of the last 100 years along with the two MJs (Jackson and Jordan). Even to people my niece's age, his name is pretty much shorthand for "extremely famous person." Some people in this thread acting like it's the Tennessee Williams biopic and not the biopic of a guy whose merchandise and brand still moves tens of millions each year to new customers.

Or maybe I'm just old now, who knows.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Some of these takes on Elvis and his apparently irrelevant place in pop culture are....bizarre. He's probably one of the three most famous American cultural figures of the last 100 years along with the two MJs (Jackson and Jordan). Even to people my niece's age, his name is pretty much shorthand for "extremely famous person." Some people in this thread acting like it's the Tennessee Williams biopic and not the biopic of a guy whose merchandise and brand still moves tens of millions each year to new customers.

Not gonna speak for others, but my argument for this movie wasn't that Elvis was unknown or irrelevant, nor that he doesn't have fans, but that young people don't really care about him in the same way. This is obviously anecdotal, but I'm 24 and I don't see people my age talk about or treat Elvis in this revered light compared to Queen or even The Beatles. If anything, my main exposure to Elvis growing up were parodies and goofy jokes about him on kids shows. I think every Disney sitcom I watched growing up had a joke about Elvis or a character dressing up like Elvis. Not really something to be proud of.

It's different from the NWA or Queen movies, which brought in a lot of young people, because people like Ice Cube and Dr. Dre are still active in the business, Queen still tours with Adam Lambert, and Freddie Mercury is still a legend to my LGBT friends. Queen and NWA are still big with younger viewers, which allowed those movies to open so much higher compared to most music biopics. That's why Rocketman opened so much lower, because Elton, who is one of my favorite people ever, doesn't really matter to your average 20something, unless you're really into music. And honestly, while its ~35M opening is an objectively strong result, way better than Rocketman's, and shows Elvis' reach and power, it's still not near the Bohemian/Compton level opening that showed those movies as 4-quad hits.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Eric Presley said:

Not gonna speak for others, but my argument for this movie wasn't that Elvis was unknown or irrelevant, nor that he doesn't have fans, but that young people don't really care about him in the same way. This is obviously anecdotal, but I'm 24 and I don't see people my age talk about or treat Elvis in this revered light compared to Queen or even The Beatles. If anything, my main exposure to Elvis growing up were parodies and goofy jokes about him on kids shows. I think every Disney sitcom I watched growing up had a joke about Elvis or a character dressing up like Elvis. Not really something to be proud of.

It's different from the NWA or Queen movies, which brought in a lot of young people, because people like Ice Cube and Dr. Dre are still active in the business, Queen still tours with Adam Lambert, and Freddie Mercury is still a legend to my LGBT friends. Queen and NWA are still big with younger viewers, which allowed those movies to open so much higher compared to most music biopics. That's why Rocketman opened so much lower, because Elton, who is one of my favorite people ever, doesn't really matter to your average 20something, unless you're really into music. And honestly, while its ~35M opening is an objectively strong result, way better than Rocketman's, and shows Elvis' reach and power, it's still not near the Bohemian/Compton level opening that showed those movies as 4-quad hits.

Good post. I'm very curious to see how that Whitney Houston biopic performs later this year.

2 hours ago, Eric Presley said:

Honestly I wish more franchises do what James Bond does and just have unrelated titles from movie to movie. Where if you just heard the titles on their own, you would have no clue it was based on a popular movie series. I get that Bond's been around a lot longer and it's tradition for them, but it would be dope if another series did the same thing.

Bond films title are 007: Skyfall, 007: Spectre, etc 

51 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I remember reading about music streamed on Spotify a few years ago. Michael Jackson and David Bowie were well in front of Elvis and the Beatles were streamed over 3 times more. 

• Thanks 1