Eric Loves Rey

Weekend Thread (6/24-26) | Actuals: Elvis 31.2, TGM 29.6, JWD 26.7, Black Phone 23.6, Lightyear 18.1

5 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I don’t understand the whole x: a y story thing going on. Why not just call it Wonder 2 and Knives Out 2

Honestly I wish more franchises do what James Bond does and just have unrelated titles from movie to movie. Where if you just heard the titles on their own, you would have no clue it was based on a popular movie series. I get that Bond's been around a lot longer and it's tradition for them, but it would be dope if another series did the same thing.

34 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The fact that Paramount still wants TG2 on P+ asap says a lot about how the dumb executives look at things.

You shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Without question, this has to be the most insane attempt at turning something into a franchise I have ever seen. Whatever you think you can expect for the trailer for Wonder 2 - this will go in a different direction.

10 Cloverfield Lane says hello 

11 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I don’t understand the whole x: a y story thing going on. Why not just call it Wonder 2 and Knives Out 2

Honestly, because putting the "number" on the end of the movie was ruined by studios starting in the 70's.  When you have a successful movie now, the studios actually put more money and resources behind a sequel and often it is increasing its performance and quality.  

40 years ago they did the opposite.  When something like Jaws or Nightmare on Elm Street was a hit, they immediately rushed to churn out a sequel that was often done at a lower budget and a far lower quality.  You ended up with stuff like Jaws 2, Nightmare on Elm Street 5, and so on.  After the quality and production was shit, anything with a number on the end of it signaled you were likely getting a low budget rip off.  

Studios have moved away from it mostly.  Even something like John Wick that uses the number puts "Chapter" in there.  

• Like 7
  • Astonished 1

I hate talking politics and wished all of that discussion thats being going on in this thread would move to a politics specific thread, but the question I have seems relevant enough to box office

are violent protests expected? the type that would stop people from going to the movies out of fear?

1 minute ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

I hate talking politics and wished all of that discussion thats being going on in this thread would move to a politics specific thread, but the question I have seems relevant enough to box office

are violent protests expected? the type that would stop people from going to the movies out of fear?

Hate to break it to you but this is a big deal so it's going to be talked about. To be able to ignore it is a privilege. 

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Like it or not, we need to discuss the country being unwound and sent back to the 70s, not the 1970s but the 1870s by this theocratic court which listens to the shitty people who lose their shit because of a split second same sex kiss in Lightyear.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Without question, this has to be the most insane attempt at turning something into a franchise I have ever seen. Whatever you think you can expect for the trailer for Wonder 2 - this will go in a different direction.

It's basically what television is already has done in the last 10 years after the success of this formula for American Horror Story. This is the same formula of anthology series but with movies. 

Edited by vale9001

5 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Nah, protests don't impact moviegoing at all. Even if it does disrupt it for a few people, they'll just go the next day.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Expected, no. Will some of them turn violent? Inevitably so.

However, I don't imagine it would effect the box office in any tangible way. 

• Like 1

No doubt Elvis will have an oldier audience than a blockbuster but you all are acting like this is Downton Abbey or a traditional Johnny Cash Biopic directed by James Mangold. It's still a Luhrmann movie. Butler is not a big star but he has his young audience from nickleodon and mtv series and the promotional stuff it's not that moldy.

A traditional Elvis biopic right now would make the same numbers as Respect/Aretha, and Aretha did what it did cause she died not that much time ago, in 20 years would have been very different. 

I'm 31 and i went to watch Elvis only because is Elvis by Luhrmann, so some of a younger audience will be there and they can make a difference even if not its most bold audience. 

Edited by vale9001

1 minute ago, Cappoedameron said:

Seems at my IMAX theaters they've taken out the Lightyear showings and brought back Top Gun Maverick. Dominion also has IMAX showings. Is this going on for you guys as well?

Lightyear's down to 1 showing in IMAX at my theater with it sharing it with Dominion and Top Gun, at the bigger theater Lightyear has 2 and is sharing it with Dominion and Top Gun as well.

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

We got Paramount Plus in the U.K. this week. I had a quick look at it earlier. This is the future of movie distribution? Lmao

Yup movies are now only lasting 45 days in theaters. Pandemic really changed everything. 

And for many they are patient enough to wait 45 days to watch it on a streaming service at no additional cost. Streaming service is about 5 times cheaper then a movie ticket + food.

Edited by Cappoedameron

7 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Yup movies are now only lasting 45 days in theaters. Pandemic really changed everything. 

And for many they are patient enough to wait 45 days to watch it on a streaming service at no additional cost. Streaming service is about 5 times cheaper then a movie ticket + food.

Paramount+ might’ve launched here in the UK, but box office business is booming here. We’ve had two new entries into our top 5 biggest films of all time in the last eight months. And Top Gun Maverick just broke into the top 30. 

Not adjusted for inflation, of course lol.

Edited by Krissykins
  • Thanks 1