Eric Prime

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

Just now, ringedmortality said:

Don't know what Thunderbolts is but Cap 4 is following the god-awful Falcon and Winter Soldier series.

well sure. I don't know anything about that but I was kind of curious about thunderbolts, which seems to be in early development?

3 minutes ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

I was already disappointed with the movie (it's fine but it was my #1 most anticipated of the year so I wanted greatness) so I might as well be disappointed with the box office.

69-39-30 for 138 is a failure in my eyes. That won't even match Ragnarok in tickets sold. Summer legs might be able to carry it to a $350M finish, but that's little solace as that would also be worse than Ragnarok in actual ticket sales. Blah. 

This is how I felt on JWD’s opening weekend: audience’s were right to pass on it, couldn’t even be mad, just disappointed 

(cc @Brainbug)

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

wait what's wrong with those movies?

And they'll probably have to pay out the nose to get the old directors back.

Captain America 4 cannot be a Sam Wilson solo movie. You will not only need Bucky but loads of characters. 

But really, if Chris Evans had to do a Disney movie after Avengers, it would've been better had he stuck around for one more movie and have Captain America 4 be his swansong. 

• Disbelief 1

Marvel films has had a run like nobody expected or has been seen.  It was always somewhat inevitable that Phase 4 was going to be down quality wise from Phase 3.  The stakes alone were lower, the characters less well known, the concepts and plots way more out there.  

It's not the worst thing in the world.  A dip in quality means that they will tighten up and revamp.  

Also, don't overlook the fact that Kevin Feige adamantly said multiple times that the face to face and cohesion just wasn't there due to Covid shut downs.  He said at Cinemacon they were having their retreat the next day to map out Phase 5 and it would be the first time they had all gotten together in person in over 2 years.  

I do agree with what others said, and that is I would back off on the MCU we know side and focus more on getting X-Men, Deadpool and Fantastic 4 off the ground and front and center.  

It can also be argued there is just too much content at this point and you can't continue to tie a universe this big and weave it back and forth between tv and movies without fucking it up some.  

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Marvel films has had a run like nobody expected or has been seen.  It was always somewhat inevitable that Phase 4 was going to be down quality wise from Phase 3.  The stakes alone were lower, the characters less well known, the concepts and plots way more out there.  

It's not the worst thing in the world.  A dip in quality means that they will tighten up and revamp.  

Also, don't overlook the fact that Kevin Feige adamantly said multiple times that the face to face and cohesion just wasn't there due to Covid shut downs.  He said at Cinemacon they were having their retreat the next day to map out Phase 5 and it would be the first time they had all gotten together in person in over 2 years.  

I do agree with what others said, and that is I would back off on the MCU we know side and focus more on getting X-Men, Deadpool and Fantastic 4 off the ground and front and center.  

It can also be argued there is just too much content at this point and you can't continue to tie a universe this big and weave it back and forth between tv and movies without fucking it up some.  

Thor is one of the most well known characters now.  So less well known doesn’t apply to this film 

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

This is how I felt on JWD’s opening weekend: audience’s were right to pass on it, couldn’t even be mad, just disappointed 

(cc @Brainbug)

Jurassic World is a giant movie franchise, Jurassic World Dominion is doing 950 despite not actually being a Jurassic movie. I consider it a spin off. 

Dominion didn't fail because it was just bad, it failed because it wasn't about the dinosaurs in the world like audience were promised, it's false marketing really. 

Now if it was what it was promised, and not about Bugs & Clones, it would've been sitting over Billion by now.

19 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

The latter narrative is ridiculous, but the former one couldn’t be the proof that MCU don’t have potential threats. Star Wars had the highest OWs of all time after TFA and TLJ. But they still fell into a helpless situation in cinematic aspect. MCU definitely could go the same without correct runs and operations

SW is not in a helpless cinematic situation post TLJ lmao. Solo bombed and TROS had terrible WoM (but still did well overall). When the next SW film comes it’ll probably do well.

BP2 will probably be big. Yall are being a bit silly dooming over this.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Thor is one of the most well known characters now.  So less well known doesn’t apply to this film 

What is the point of this post?  Doesn't apply to what?  

If you are talking financially, Thor L&T is still having a huge opening and will put up good numbers and make a nice profit.  

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Well I was sort of dreading this since June 2019

That is pretty funny, sort of accurate in a humorous way, but ultimately the MCU at it's very worst is still a monster.   

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I've been saying this in multiple threads (that people might not be considering just how much COVID has thrown a monkey-wrench into the actual PROCESS of making movies) so I'm glad to see others thinking along the same lines.

I mean, I get it.  A lot of us have gotten back to a semblance of "normal".  But much of the entertainment industry either 1) hasn't or 2) didn't when these films were being developed, shot, and worked on.   And "semblance of normal" isn't "the same normal as it was before" anyway, by definition.

It's not so much that I give nearly all entertainment made the last couple of years a pass as it is that I take it into consideration when I'm sussing out what worked and what didn't.

It's not surprising me one whit that some entertainment made the last 18 months or so might be a bit more uneven or unfinished or unpolished as it was in the Before Times.

• Like 9