Eric is Quiet

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

My general enjoyment level about entertainment:

Limited Series > film > short (<10 episodes) series with multiple seasons > long series with multiple seasons.

A great limited series is the perfect content for me, you get a complete story with great execution and theme, and most characters getting proper progression with satisfied conclusion. It doesn't require you to commit too much time on it, and usually you can consistently find and enjoy them by their the critics reception. For example, I hesitate to watch Westworld yet because how awful the later seasons are, so I would just watch Mare Easttown instead.

I've been saying this for months and i'll say it again, Feige needs to demand these TV shows to go, keeping only the necessary, turn some into movies and throw the rest on trash. That Moon Knight show for example could easily be a movie, do a movie, why extend a simple script to a 6 hour show that ended up not working that great? 

While i do know COVID fucked everyone, i think MCU had another problem which is: Feige is just one producer. He can't keep looking out for 12-15 projects at the same thing and keep the quality control that high. 

Go back to focus on movies, the quality will tighten up, and people will feel less oversaturated with less things to watch it but with better quality, everyone wins.

I don't think their doomed tho, the demand still exists, we've seen the huge previews, and they didn't release anything atrocious to turn into a more permant damage. They really just need to do a course correction asap which i suspect it's being done already after 3 meh receptions nearly in a row. 

• Like 2

The thing that sucks about Marvel and Lucasfilm taking over TV and the other services doubling down on these too-expensive shows (I say too expensive though I've never seen television feel more low-rent than Moon Knight or Obi-Wan Kenobi) is that they're not embracing what's awesome about TV as a medium at all. There's a reason Wandavision became the only legitimate phenomenon out of the Disney/Marvel lot since Endgame: it declared it would wholeheartedly function like a television series. Each episode would feel like its own chapter with its own point, and there would be enough episodes for you to develop an emotional investment (and yes, that was before a finale that became a C-grade Marvel movie third act). That's what made the word of mouth on that show such a beast, people genuinely wanted to tune back in. 

Six episodes has been far too short for the rest of these television projects-- and stories that could have maybe made it work with that time or budget limit are being told, for some reason, to execute a Marvel movie's worth of spectacle. Disney+ was a chance to try genuinely low-fi MCU stories, and it's an extreme disservice to the talented people involved in all these shows that they have to try and measure up to the action of the movies for some reason (and use the most rushed VFX plates imaginable). For me, Loki and Ms. Marvel have some of the best performances and writing and direction of the entire MCU... just good luck lingering in it for more than a moment before they're onto the next plotpoint and/or beam of flashing colored light and/or reference to a previous movie. Obi Wan and Boba Fett fell into this same trap too: is anyone actually happier when these huge-IP projects are four chopped-up hours of content, instead of a singular big-budget 2-3 hour experience?

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 11

22 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I've been saying this for months and i'll say it again, Feige needs to demand these TV shows to go, keeping only the necessary, turn some into movies and throw the rest on trash. That Moon Knight show for example could easily be a movie, do a movie, why extend a simple script to a 6 hour show that ended up not working that great? 

While i do know COVID fucked everyone, i think MCU had another problem which is: Feige is just one producer. He can't keep looking out for 12-15 projects at the same thing and keep the quality control that high. 

Go back to focus on movies, the quality will tighten up, and people will feel less oversaturated with less things to watch it but with better quality, everyone wins.

I don't think their doomed tho, the demand still exists, we've seen the huge previews, and they didn't release anything atrocious to turn into a more permant damage. They really just need to do a course correction asap which i suspect it's being done already after 3 meh receptions nearly in a row. 

Whole heartedly agree with this.

They should make disney plus exclusive films and theatrical films.

And efficiently market both efficiently esp disney + exclusive ones.

Why an agatha harkness show???. Just put her into the movies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Agreed, and one of the reasons again I am so utterly confident in theatrical not only surviving, but thriving in the years to come.  It has been refreshing not watching nearly as many tv series since theaters re-opened and only having 4-5 movies per month to look forward to.  

Head to the theater, feels like an event and sit back in a comfortable recliner, shut off the phone and have something to eat and drink while I zone out with little to no distractions.  

I love it so much.  

This! 100% agree. You can’t beat the cinema. 

2 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Whenever I watch TV, I feel guilty I'm not watching a movie. As insane as that sounds. I just like movies and film more and I truly feel like I'm wasting my time on TV as if I'm neglectful.

I agree with this feeling too. 

Although, I do watch TV, I’m just very picky. What I like most about TV just now is that actresses I love get much more interesting roles on TV than they do in films and especially these big blockbusters. Especially actresses over 40. Hacks, Loot, Mare of Easttown etc. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

If I’m not mistaken, aren’t all the MCU tv shows including Moon Knight well received by critics and audiences alike? On rotten tomatoes, every single one of them is fresh. I don’t see a problem with the quantity of shows if the quality is good from a general audience standpoint.

MCU has plenty of producers even ones specifically for certain projects. Victoria Alonso, Louis D’Esposito, Brad Winderbaum, Nate Moore, David Grant and many others. So he definitely has plenty of help.

• Like 1

Honestly Thor: Love and Thunder should have been a home run but I was not expecting this reaction at all. B+ cinemascore?

This will effect the brand for a while. Two of their biggest films after Endgame being disappointments. Need to recover Feige.

1 minute ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

How about making a Daredevil TV show, and have Echo show up I'm it.

Wouldn't that be easier and frankly make more sense. 

They need continuos content for D+ to avoid churn rate. I skipped Hawkeye, Moonknight & I'll skip all upcoming 2022 & 2023 shows except Secret Invasion & Loki. I'm only watching shows which are connected to most probable core characters of next Avengers movie like Captain America, Captain Marvel & Doctor Strange

4 minutes ago, Factcheck said:

They need continuos content for D+ to avoid churn rate. I skipped Hawkeye, Moonknight & I'll skip all upcoming 2022 & 2023 shows except Secret Invasion & Loki. I'm only watching shows which are connected to most probable core characters of next Avengers movie like Captain America, Captain Marvel & Doctor Strange

Imagine MCU ruining their movies because of focusing on these TV series🤦‍♂🤦‍♂

5 hours ago, cannastop said:

Nothing in the world i hate more than these nerd guys hating on pop music when they are fan of marvel, Jurassic Park and star wars. The pop music of cinema. 

Why they put Guns roses and Abba on Thor instead of King Crimson? Well an area 51 kind of mistery

• Like 1