grim22

Weekend thread 7/15-7/17 | Actuals: Thor 4 46.63M, Minions 26.83, Crawdads 17.25, TGM 12.26, Elvis 8, Paws of Fury 6.31

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

this is true because New Moon ($142mil opening) dropped $99,969,106 on it's second weekend. damn.

I guess this means Marvel needs to get Michael Sheen to join the cast.

I mean yeah in light of Thor and JWD,  the Batman did pretty good all things considered. Granted, less competition but it's also less audience friendly and significantly longer.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

For me Dominion is a flop, fair and square. 

I don't know how people can justify Thor's performance, but it is pathetic..... Jurassic World Dominion would make more profits than Thor and i still say it's a flop unless it touches a Billion which will be bit more digestible. 

Both Dominion and Thor should be doing much more, but they aren't, both are disappointment Content wise and Box Office wise, infact add Multiverse of Madness in it and complete the disappointment trio. 

Given that JW:FK made a profit of $220m after grossing ~$400m more than JW:D will it's likely that JW:D profits, if any, are going to be minimal.

3 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Given that JW:FK made a profit of $220m after grossing ~$400m more than JW:D will it's likely that JW:D profits, if any, are going to be minimal.

JW FK budget 165

JW D budget 185 

It's not like budget suddenly increased 50-100 million, i say profits should be Atleast half of JW FK if not more.

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

It was originally supposed to be wide this week but they probably saw that the release schedule is about to dry up soon (especially with a slow-looking August coming up) so might as well continue the solid expansion and go wide when it won't face nearly as much competition.

I'd expect it to go wide now 2 weeks after Super Pets...

16 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I mean yeah in light of Thor and JWD,  the Batman did pretty good all things considered. Granted, less competition but it's also less audience friendly and significantly longer.

i get what you're saying thor should've been an hour longer.

• Haha 3

In good news for the weekend, mature women were targeted for 2 movies and they did show up, even for OW.  So, we can scratch off this demo from the "not showing up yet:)"...

Both Crawdads and Mrs. Harris got a large portion of their box office from their targeted demo - from Deadline...

"Fifty-five percent of Crawdads‘ ticket buyers are women over 25. The overall audience was 40% between 18-34, but still an amazing 41% over 45."

"Focus Features booked Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris at 980 theaters, and it’s grossing $1.74M for the weekend, in 9th place with a $1,77K per theater. Well- reviewed movie at 93% on Rotten Tomatoes, with 70% women turning up, and a very notable 39% over 55 with 87% over 25." 

https://deadline.com/2022/07/box-office-thor-love-and-thunder-paws-of-fury-where-the-crawdads-sing-2-1235064783/

Edited by TwoMisfits

2 hours ago, vale9001 said:

It's so simple about Crawdads.

(Male) critics hate sentimental movies,  I mean unapologetically sentimental movies. That's a genre, so they should be able to distinguish the better from the worst movies in this genre but they hated everything from Pretty Woman to Ghost until The Notebook and The greatest Showman. 

And those are literally the most loved unapologetically sentimental movies of all time. 

When you read the critics list of best gangster movies the 90% of it is the same of the most beloved movies by audiences. 

When you read the critics list of the best sentimental movies well they are nor really sentimental cause that is weak,  you got these romantic indie movies nobody cares about lol

Crawdads is a perfect produced movie not only for fan of the book but for all the fan of the genre. 

Yeah, the poor Crawdads reviews aren't a big mystery: it's based on "chick lit" when most of the verified critics are men, and the book supposedly has "problematic" elements that critics (regardless of gender) would care about and downgrade their reviews as a result. The author being wanted for questioning in a murder and evading that since the 1990s, it's another thing some critics probably held against the movie.

Meanwhile, the fanbase only cares if the movie is like the book, give them that with decent/good acting and they'll be happy. And people who haven't read the book might like the movie if they generally enjoy similar sorts of stories.

I haven't read Crawdads, I've just found the advertising weird in the focus on the celebrity producer talking about the book, and a soundtrack song when it's not a music movie.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Yeah, the poor Crawdads reviews aren't a big mystery: it's based on "chick lit" when most of the verified critics are men, and the book supposedly has "problematic" elements that critics (regardless of gender) would care about and downgrade their reviews as a result. The author being wanted for questioning in a murder and evading that since the 1990s, it's another thing some critics probably held against the movie.

Meanwhile, the fanbase only cares if the movie is like the book, give them that with decent/good acting and they'll be happy. And people who haven't read the book might like the movie if they generally enjoy similar sorts of stories.

I haven't read Crawdads, I've just found the advertising weird in the focus on the celebrity producer talking about the book, and a soundtrack song when it's not a music movie.

I agree.

But what do you mean not a music movie?. Every kind of movie in terms of genre can have a soundtrack song made for the movie. What is strange?. Twilight, Hunger Games or 50 Shades got an entire album of original songs made for the movies. 

Edited by vale9001

36 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Quality prevails. 

Many films (Crawdad, Elvis, Black Phone, etc) have had disappointing Fridays after nice Thursday numbers came in. We need to stop treating these like previews within the next year probably tbh. 

• Like 1