grim22

Weekend thread 7/15-7/17 | Actuals: Thor 4 46.63M, Minions 26.83, Crawdads 17.25, TGM 12.26, Elvis 8, Paws of Fury 6.31

27 minutes ago, Doffy said:

1500 times? U could watch 1500 different movies.

The story behind it is, when I was 16 years old my grandmother bought me Jaws on vhs. It was probably the best birthday present I ever received my in life LOL and so every night when I went to bed I would put Jaws on and watch it until I fell asleep. Most of the time I would watch the whole movie, occasionally Id fall asleep with 20 minutes left or whatever. I did that pretty much for 3 years so that was basically a thousand times right there. Over the next 30 years Jaws just became like a security blanket. If I was down, happy, depressed, exuberant or anything in between I could watch jaws and it would lift me up or just accelerate my mood. I know it sounds weird but there's never not a good time for me to watch jaws. And then once I got it on Blu-ray and I could see all kinds of images that I couldn't see before that probably added another 50 times to my viewing pleasure.

I don't think any movie can come close to Jaws in terms of rewatchability simply because it's got everything I enjoy about a movie but especially the characters and the dialogue. So yeah Jaws is just something I can put on anytime and enjoy it even after watching it more than 1500 times.

• Like 3

My highest non-Jurassic Park in-theater viewing count (which is 5, including 3 during the original opening and 2 re-releases) is probably just 2? Maybe something got a 3rd that I don’t recall, and I’m not against repeat viewings, but between work and kids there usually just wasn’t time for more 

Edited by M37
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, M37 said:

There actually is a Jaws release in IMAX slated for 9/2 (and ET for 8/12). But for the 8/19 and 8/26 weekends, the calendar is open - those dates should go to TGM, if not in full, then at least some showings. The Dolby and other PLF's can do whatever they want after Bullet Train, so I'm fully expecting a large PLF re-release in mid-August, a la Dune in early December.

Labor Day also has NWH, which I assume will take even more imax than jaws

Infinity War and Endgame I've watched 6 times each, my most watched movies in theater.

And I've watched Dominion 4 times in theaters and it is my least favorite movie which i watched multiple times in Theater, and mostly due to different reasons.

Last 2 times i endured it was solely to see audience reaction, and both times i got one reaction from people - Is this a Dinosaur movie??

Edited by THUNDER BIRD
  • Like 1

Film I saw most at theaters was Indiana Jones in the Last Crusade in 1989. I had a friend who worked at a movie theater and she would let me in for free so seven of the 13 times I didn't pay for it. As an adult most times I've seen a movie at a theater is The Force Awakens. 8x....second is maybe Crystal skull or the Friday the 13th remake. I think I saw them both five times at the theater.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Unless my math is off, that's about a 25% increase for minions. Doesn't that seem kind of soft for an animated movie? I guess maybe it really is lending to the theory that families are not completely back at the box office yet.

Not necessarily, the summer tends to cause softer weekday jumps for animation.

7 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Don't worry, it's still locked! 

I kind of think we should just avoid referencing his tweets here. Let him self-righteously tweet into the void to nobody (he has no real following). He’s just being needy and attention seeking, no reason to give him that satisfaction.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 14

15 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Labor Day also has NWH, which I assume will take even more imax than jaws

I wouldn’t be so sure. Keep in mind IMAX is it’s own brand, and they - not theaters or studios - have the final say on what gets placement, though some slots are optional (like TGM getting late shows a few weeks back on Minions OW). Jaws already has an IMAX contract, NWH does not, and though I doubt as a re-release Jaws is guaranteed to get the full 4 daily show allotment, they’ve been advertising it for months, so it’s likely set for at least 2 daily shows, with the other 2 being optional. Many if not most of those remaining may go to NWH.  

If you want to know what has an IMAX contract vs what is hoping to get optional placement, just look at their upcoming release page. Fwiw, I said the same thing about Elvis a few weeks back, which wound up with very IMAX for its OW

46 minutes ago, cannastop said:

NGL I saw Zootopia at least 20 times in theaters. 🙊

what? you all are crazy - never watched a movie in theatre more than twice. Don't think I will - next movie I'll be watching twice is probably going to be Avatar, I'll try seeing that in IMAX but that probably won't be in the opening week, so I watch it regular first (should be HFR, 4k though - at least from a technical perspective the cinema can do that).

4 minutes ago, M37 said:

I wouldn’t be so sure. Keep in mind IMAX is it’s own brand, and they - not theaters or studios - have the final say on what gets placement, though some slots are optional (like TGM getting late shows a few weeks back on Minions OW). Jaws already has an IMAX contract, NWH does not, and though I doubt as a re-release Jaws is guaranteed to get the full 4 daily show allotment, they’ve been advertising it for months, so it’s likely set for at least 2 daily shows, with the other 2 being optional. Many if not most of those remaining may go to NWH.  

If you want to know what has an IMAX contract vs what is hoping to get optional placement, just look at their upcoming release page. Fwiw, I said the same thing about Elvis a few weeks back, which wound up with very IMAX for its OW

I know how it works, I’d just be surprised if Sony went for that date without a decent idea that they would get a lot of optional imax.