Issac Newton

Weekend - 08/05-08/07 | Actuals: Bullet Train 30, Super Pets 11, Nope 8.5, Thor 7.7, Minions 7.1 | TGM sinks Titanic! 7th-biggest film DOM | Bodies Bodies Bodies earns 37.8K PTA

8 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Edge of Tomorrow (another Japanese adaptation) with a double budget opened with 28M. I think BT opening is ok

EoT numbers were not good either, that's true.

Although it crossed the $100 million line in the end.

And worldwide numbers with over $370 million were not a desaster (but alos not good for the heavy budget).

Edited by MrHardapple
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Edge of Tomorrow (another Japanese adaptation) with a double budget opened with 28M. I think BT opening is ok

I don't really get how it being a Japanese adaptation would have any bearing on box office potential or audience perception. Like yeah it happens to be based on a Japanese novel, but I don't see why that would have a particular box office ceiling when it's an attribute it just happens to have that shouldn't have any bearing when taken in isolation.

And for Edge of Tomorrow, its connection to source material wasn't really publicized and I doubt the vast majority of the general audience even knew it was based on a light novel. As far as audience perception goes, it was a Tom Cruise action movie much more predominantly than it was a Japanese novel adaptation.

I think it’s very solid for Bullet Train.

Tracking was $30m domestic, $30m internationally and it did $62.5m worldwide. 

Solid start for Bodies Bodies Bodies too, hopefully good WOM and reviews give it a decent PTA when it expands next weekend. 

Excellent for Elvis, Top Gun, Black Phone and Crawdads, as always. Thor 4 passed Thor 3 too. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, harrisonisdead said:

I don't really get how it being a Japanese adaptation would have any bearing on box office potential or audience perception. Like yeah it happens to be based on a Japanese novel, but I don't see why that would have a particular box office ceiling when it's an attribute it just happens to have that shouldn't have any bearing when taken in isolation.

And for Edge of Tomorrow, its connection to source material wasn't really publicized and I doubt the vast majority of the general audience even knew it was based on a light novel. As far as audience perception goes, it was a Tom Cruise action movie much more predominantly than it was a Japanese novel adaptation.

Agreed.

I had no idea Edge of Tomorrow was base don anything until after I saw it. I bet most people had no clue. That movie was screwed by a terrible marketing campaign. Bad title, generic trailers that didn't sell the humor and just how fun the movie was, etc. It looked like a bland action film, when it ended up being one of the best sci-fi actioners since Aliens.

And as for Bullet Train, I didn't know it was based on anything until the day I saw it either. Again, it wasn't marketed as some sort of "Japanese adaptation". It was sold as a crazy action-comedy with a large and star-studded cast, from the director of Deadpool 2 (and very much looking like it's replicating the tone of that movie from the marketing). Bullet Train definitely seems to have had very late poor marketing, and then the lukewarm reviews killed off any momentum still left. 

• Like 1

So I fired up the Regal app looking for a showtime for BT this afternoon and they list the cast just above the showtimes. The cast list had someone named prominently who was not present in any of the trailers. I don’t know if this approaches spoiler territory but damn, Regal, what are you doing? A few weeks ago you used an image from Nope that effectively spoiled the movie and now this. How are studios not complaining about this stuff?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Good opening for BT obviously. $300M+ worldwide quite possible.

Do you expect a lot from Japan and South Korea? I'd think 250 is more feasible, but I suppose Asian markets could take it either side of that...

Edited by reddevil19

6 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Good opening for BT obviously. $300M+ worldwide quite possible.

How many markets left OS? Didn't it open mostly everywhere?

30M is good number for an Original movie....BT has opened well the only reason why it kind of pales with my expectation is the huge theater count...4.3k...nevertheless good start...let's see with mixed WoM how it sustains!

BT had a fairly better publicity campaign compared to EoT for sure...Budget wise BT needs 200-250m to be safe...which might be well within its reach!