Issac Newton

Weekend - 08/05-08/07 | Actuals: Bullet Train 30, Super Pets 11, Nope 8.5, Thor 7.7, Minions 7.1 | TGM sinks Titanic! 7th-biggest film DOM | Bodies Bodies Bodies earns 37.8K PTA

Gotta say, as someone who'd like to see more movies like Bullet Train even while not being big on it, the fact that it's both 90M and inexplicably in a summer slot feels so incredibly dumb to me. Obviously, an action movie is gonna cost more than a murder mystery but this should not be double the price of Knives Out and would likely had been better off opening in September or October when the market is less satisfied already with action movies marketed to mostly men

7 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Gotta say, as someone who'd like to see more movies like Bullet Train even while not being big on it, the fact that it's both 90M and inexplicably in a summer slot feels so incredibly dumb to me. Obviously, an action movie is gonna cost more than a murder mystery but this should not be double the price of Knives Out and would likely had been better off opening in September or October when the market is less satisfied already with action movies marketed to mostly men

How is any of this dumb? Lol. It's absolutely a brainless late summer film. A movie like this would not survive in Oct (just look how Bad Times at El Royale flopped) and August is emptier than Sept. And it's an actual action film unlike Knives Out which you admit and COVID subcharges inflated the budget.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

Man, Prey really shoulda gone theatrical. I doubt it would have done much more than high teens or so, but I would have loved to see that in a theater.

It probably would have if The Predator(2018) didn't put the IP on life support.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

How is any of this dumb? Lol. It's absolutely a brainless late summer film. A movie like this would not survive in Oct (just look how Bad Times at El Royale flopped) and August is emptier than Sept. And it's an actual action film unlike Knives Out which you admit and COVID subcharges inflated the budget.

August is not emptier than September if you view this as a movie opening while Thor and Nope are still doing decent sized business while Top Gun and Elvis are still chugging along grabbing the older audience that Pitt might bring in. There's also like nothing in October this year besides Black Adam and Halloween, both which have a decent chance of underperforming. The comp for September would be Mag 7 which did perfectly fine to.

Also, it might be an action movie, but the premise really means the film can be set on just a few train cars keeping production costs down, and the only actor in it who should be really demanding money is Pitt. I'm not saying make it as cheap as Knives Out, but even with COVID surcharges, this should cost a maximum of 65M imo.

Deadline are saying $6.6M for the weekend for Top Gun: Maverick in its 11th weekend

Biggest 11th Wide Weekends

1. Titanic - $19,633,056 - 27/02/1998
  2. Avatar - $13,655,274 - 26/02/2010
  3. Beverly Hills Cop - $7,770,241 - 15/02/1985
  4. Aladdin - $7,687,184 - 05/02/1993
  5. E.T. the Extra Terrestrial - $7,620,888 - 20/08/1982
  6. Home Alone - $7,195,573 - 25/01/1991
  7. Mrs. Doubtfire - $6,916,809 - 04/02/1994
  8. Frozen - $6,872,811 - 07/02/2014
  9. Top Gun: Maverick - $6,600,000 - 05/08/2022

Specify wide weekends because I always find it weird sites like the-numbers and BOM compare the 11th wide weekend of Top Gun: Maverick against the 7th or 8th wide weekend of awards films sometimes even less if they have been in limited release for well over a month.

Edited by Dandeak2000

4 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Another terrific hold for TGM, shook off the effects of BULLET TRAIN.

Biggest domestic 11th Friday:

1. Feb 27, 1988 TITANIC                         $4,739,243      3,035   $1561  $412,090,075

2. Feb 26, 2010 AVATAR                         $3,076,750      2,456   $1252  $695,981,544

3. Jan 31, 2013 FROZEN                         $2,244,958      2,754   $815    $352,947,287

4. Aug  5, 2022 TOP GUN: MAVERICK    $1,900,000      2,760   $688    $657,380,244

To be fair to Maverick, that's Frozen's 10th wide Friday, it's 11th made $1,388,839 on February 7, 2014.

• Like 1

Kind of funny to see Bullet Train doing just ok both financially and critically (at best) after Sony was convinced they had some masterpiece on their hands and gave Bad Bunny a whole random superhero film off of it.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Blankments said:

August is not emptier than September if you view this as a movie opening while Thor and Nope are still doing decent sized business while Top Gun and Elvis are still chugging along grabbing the older audience that Pitt might bring in. There's also like nothing in October this year besides Black Adam and Halloween, both which have a decent chance of underperforming. The comp for September would be Mag 7 which did perfectly fine to.

Also, it might be an action movie, but the premise really means the film can be set on just a few train cars keeping production costs down, and the only actor in it who should be really demanding money is Pitt. I'm not saying make it as cheap as Knives Out, but even with COVID surcharges, this should cost a maximum of 65M imo.

Lol what? Sept has Barbarian, The Woman King, Avatar re-release, Don't Worry Darling, Bros, Smile. That's more than August. The third act is huge and big with CGI, with flashbacks. It's not just trains

20 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Lol what? Sept has Barbarian, The Woman King, Avatar re-release, Don't Worry Darling, Bros, Smile. That's more than August. The third act is huge and big with CGI, with flashbacks. It's not just trains

Bullet train is bigger or equal to most of the movies you listed lol and is the only that explicitly targets the generic man demographic and older

and yes the third act of bullet train is the weakest part; my point is more on a basic level this movie should not have been made with the intent of a big cgi finale

5 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

@Blankments @Eric the Tank Engine

7x:

Avatar: The Way of Water (Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Jurassic World: Dominion, Thor: Love and Thunder, Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, Nope, Minions: The Rise of Gru, Bullet Train)

6x:

Bullet Train (The Northman, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Top Gun: Maverick, Jurassic World: Dominion, Thor: Love and Thunder, Nope)

4x:

Moonage Daydream (Crimes of the Future, Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, Nope, Bullet Train)

3x:

Black Adam (Thor: Love and Thunder, Nope, Bullet Train)

Don't Worry Darling (Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Men, The Black Phone)

The Menu (Men, Crimes of the Future, The Black Phone)

Smile (Top Gun: Maverick, Nope, Bullet Train)

Strange World (Lightyear, Thor: Love and Thunder, Minions: The Rise of Gru)

2x:

Beast (Thor: Love and Thunder, Nope)

Bodies Bodies Bodies (Men, The Black Phone)

Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero (Jurassic World: Dominion, Minions: The Rise of Gru)

Oppenheimer (Nope, Bullet Train)

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish (Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, Minions: The Rise of Gru)

1x:

Amsterdam (Thor: Love and Thunder)

Barbarian (The Black Phone)

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (Bullet Train)

DC League of Super Pets (Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore)

Halloween Ends (Nope)

Honk for Jesus, Save Your Soul (Nope)

The Invitation (Bullet Train)

John Wick: Chapter 4 (Bullet Train)

Lyle Lyle Crocodile (Minions: The Rise of Gru)

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 (Top Gun: Maverick)

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (Sonic the Hedgehog 2)

Till (Nope)

Vengeance (Crimes of the Future)

The Woman King (Bullet Train)

Excuse my ignorance but what the hell are these lists? What are these supposed to mean? 

Edited by p a p i

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Prey is one of the best movies of the year. Simply phenomenal. Fuck Chapek.

Iger could be the CEO, I think that would have gone to streaming still. 

Predator is a failure of a franchise. If it had chance of coming back, it would be on streaming. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, p a p i said:

Excuse my ignorance but what the hell are these lists? What are these supposed to mean? 

Han, Blanks and I track how many times we see trailers for movies whenever we go to the theater and we share them with each other. Fun to discuss and see what are our stalkers, what are getting big airplay, what aren't, etc.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1