YM!

Saw X | 9/29/23

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Lionsgate might as well move this to October 6th now. I seriously doubt anyone is going to care about “Saw Patrol.”

I was thinking about that as well now that Kraven has moved. There are literally no wide releases scheduled that week now. But I do think its good to have 2 weeks of separation between Saw X and Exorcist. Plus I don't think there is much of an overlap like you said between Saw and Paw Patrol or The Creator so I think Saw is safe to stay. This way it should have a very light 2nd week drop since no new competition. I think its the smarter play to stay. Also, will the Creator move? I could see it moving instead either completely to 2024 or to October 6th to give some distance from Expandables etc. And they've done very little advertising so it wouldn't hurt them too much. 

Plus while the "Saw Patrol" thing is a stupid meme that most likely wont amount to much in the box office, it does have people talking about the film and drumming up at least some conversation. If they move it, then that completely dies. So while I don't think people will see both films like Barbenheimer, it does bring awareness to the film. I'm more interested in the potential of Saw X. I really have no clue if this film can even achieve a good box office after Jigsaw and Spiral essentially both not being extremely successful domestically. 

I'm hoping Saw X can do something like 20M Opening weekend, and then have some slighttttt legs like Jigsaw and Spiral. Which means it could maybe do like 50-55M domestically, 110-125M WW. 

1 hour ago, Boxofficerules said:

Is this true @ViewerAnon?

I don't think SAW X had any public test screenings (if it's the Oren Koules story I'm thinking of he was probably talking about the original SAW and how it scored a major theatrical release).

Edited by ViewerAnon

I remember and always enjoyed the “if it’s Halloween, it must be Saw” in the advertising. 

I kept going back even after hating 4 and despising 5. Eventually completely skipped 6.

They got me back again for Saw 3D, then again for Jigsaw, which weren’t great. 

I enjoyed Spiral more than it seems most people do.

Franchise ranking would be:

Saw 2

Saw 
Saw 3

Spiral

Jigsaw

Saw 3D

Saw 4

Saw 5

I’ll rewatch 1-3 before seeing X. 

Normally I'd be unsure of this movie's prospects because of Jigsaw and Spiral diluting the brand, but Insidious 5 has been doing quite well and this is essentially the same back to basics pitch but for Saw. And people seem to be receptive to this trailer from what I've seen so far. If reviews aren't too bad this should be a solid hit.

Looks Sawesome, the movies definitely lost something after John was killed off, probably why 6 is my favourite sequel as he's super involved throughout. I don't really know what it is specifically about Saw, but I'm always hyped for a new entry, maybe it's a strange form of catharsis 😅

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I remember and always enjoyed the “if it’s Halloween, it must be Saw” in the advertising. 

I kept going back even after hating 4 and despising 5. Eventually completely skipped 6.

They got me back again for Saw 3D, then again for Jigsaw, which weren’t great. 

I enjoyed Spiral more than it seems most people do.

Franchise ranking would be:

Saw 2

Saw 
Saw 3

Spiral

Jigsaw

Saw 3D

Saw 4

Saw 5

I’ll rewatch 1-3 before seeing X. 

6 was pretty good. I actually think it's the best one after the first 3. 

I saw spiral and I thought it was pretty much garbage. Chris Rock was just all wrong in my opinion. And the killer in it had no business being able to do anything that he did.

This is Tobin Bell's franchise and whether they killed him off or not, they just find a way to bring him back which they did obviously. And now I'm excited to see it because he's in it and as many of you have mentioned the trailer is pretty damn awesome.

On a side note I love Tobin bells story. He was never a star. He always had a small but fairly memorable roles in films like Mississippi burning, The Firm and Malice just to name a few. 

Then he does this low budget Sundance darling horror film, we don't even see him until the last few seconds of the movie. And it completely changes his life. Now his name and his face are synonymous with this franchise. It's one of the coolest success stories in Hollywood at least in my opinion.

• Like 2