YM!

Saw X | 9/29/23

10 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Looks Sawesome, the movies definitely lost something after John was killed off, probably why 6 is my favourite sequel as he's super involved throughout. I don't really know what it is specifically about Saw, but I'm always hyped for a new entry, maybe it's a strange form of catharsis 😅

10 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Same. VI was the best, really tackled the whole health care system, so there was a layered message on top of the clever traps. This one is giving me those vibes.

10 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

Saw VI is the best if the series.

6 hours ago, cheesypoofs said:

6 was pretty good. I actually think it's the best one after the first 3. 

Oh! I better finally watch Saw VI then. Shame it’s the lowest grosser by a long distance. They have 4 & 5 to blame for that.

Agreed on Saw VI, definitely a standout in the series right behind the original. I only found out yesterday just how much its box office dipped compared to all the movies before it as well as after (except Spiral ofc), a real shame.

SAW VI is a great return to form for the Saw series and is definitely a top tier Saw movie. It's unfortunate that I think the poor audience reaction to Saw V and the rise of Paranormal Activity basically crushed Saw VI. 

I'm hoping Saw X can be successful because I feel like Kevin Greutert never really got a chance to shine because of Saw VI's failure and then Twisted Pictures forcing him to film Saw 3D. 

If the marketing can just keep up with making Tobin Bell the face of this movie and reinforcing that belief then I think they can have a good run. And audience reception to Amanda has been very positive so they should continue to promote both of them. 

I'm sad for Tobin though because I feel like he loves the Jigsaw character so much and would have been superrrrr pumped to promote the hell out of this movie. 

• Like 1

This look great.

I'm an unapolgetic saw fan. But jigsaw and spiral I didn't care for. I always loved the grungy aesthetic of saw 1-6, and then they dropped it in 7. And its been 3 straight of what I consider the worst of the franchise.they really lost their way of what the franchise was.

Saw 6 is the 2nd best after 1. I feel like if you watch saw 1-6 back to back it strengthens them as a whole. 

How I rank them:

Jigsaw

Spiral

• Like 1

Watched Saw II with the Wan/Whannell commentary track (did the first one with them and Cary Elwes yesterday) and near the end Wan provided this unintentional prophecy:

"If we could we'd keep Kevin [Greutert] chained to all the Saw films until Saw 10"

If you only knew, James.

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Dominic Draper said:

This look great.

I'm an unapolgetic saw fan. But jigsaw and spiral I didn't care for. I always loved the grungy aesthetic of saw 1-6, and then they dropped it in 7. And its been 3 straight of what I consider the worst of the franchise.they really lost their way of what the franchise was.

Saw 6 is the 2nd best after 1. I feel like if you watch saw 1-6 back to back it strengthens them as a whole. 

How I rank them:

Jigsaw

Spiral

Yeah 7 is funny bad at least (which I can't say for Jigsaw or Spiral) but it totally drops the ball on the cliffhanger from 6. They built up the most insanely convoluted soap opera storyline and just didn't do anything with it in its finale. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

Will The Nun 2 have an effect on this?

I mean I don't think it'll have a huge affect on it. Obviously horror vs horror, but by The Nun 2's 4th weekend it should only be making like 5M or lower that weekend, unless it overperforms. And I can't imagine it doing better than the original Nun's box office run. Really the biggest thing is up to Lionsgate and how well they market this movie. I think they did a good job moving the release date to end of Sept. There is no competition that 2nd weekend its out at alllll which is also I think a holiday weekend the first week of Oct. If it can open slightly higher than Jigsaw, it has a good chance of having better legs, since Jigsaw went up against Thor its 2nd weekend. I'd say if it can open to 18-20M then it has a good chance at doing 50M domestically which I think would be a win for the franchise. I'm obviously hoping for better results, but I don't see it doing more than 25M OW, unless the marketing is on fire. 

The issue is, I do think that Saw had a certain percentage of people that saw it no matter what because of it releasing around Halloween, they lose that audience now. I highly doubt the film will have strong enough legs to pull any sort of strong number Halloween weekend, so it wont see a huge bump there. And it doesn't help that Saw 3D, Jigsaw and Spiral have all been touted as not so great Saw movies, so that will hurt the good will with Saw X, which I'm guessing isn't going to get stellar reviews... 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2023 at 11:37 PM, eman92 said:

I mean I don't think it'll have a huge affect on it. Obviously horror vs horror, but by The Nun 2's 4th weekend it should only be making like 5M or lower that weekend, unless it overperforms. And I can't imagine it doing better than the original Nun's box office run. Really the biggest thing is up to Lionsgate and how well they market this movie. I think they did a good job moving the release date to end of Sept. There is no competition that 2nd weekend its out at alllll which is also I think a holiday weekend the first week of Oct. If it can open slightly higher than Jigsaw, it has a good chance of having better legs, since Jigsaw went up against Thor its 2nd weekend. I'd say if it can open to 18-20M then it has a good chance at doing 50M domestically which I think would be a win for the franchise. I'm obviously hoping for better results, but I don't see it doing more than 25M OW, unless the marketing is on fire. 

The issue is, I do think that Saw had a certain percentage of people that saw it no matter what because of it releasing around Halloween, they lose that audience now. I highly doubt the film will have strong enough legs to pull any sort of strong number Halloween weekend, so it wont see a huge bump there. And it doesn't help that Saw 3D, Jigsaw and Spiral have all been touted as not so great Saw movies, so that will hurt the good will with Saw X, which I'm guessing isn't going to get stellar reviews... 

I agree at every point except for that the reviews could be mediocre or bad. I read here that the guy who always sees the movies before they are released said that it's pretty good. I think he even said it's the best film since the first. So I hope it's a decent film.

45 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Serious question; was this moved to the end of September because they were scared of going against FNaF, or were Lionsgate just under the deluded impression that they could make Saw Patrol happen? 

Obviously not the second option. Studios have been releasing family and horror together on the same weekend as counterprogramming for many decades (Hop and Insidious, anyone?).

The fact that people took "Saw Patrol" seriously instead of as an obvious joke featuring the latest pop culture phenomenon (Barbenheimer) is completely embarrassing. Neither studio is actually trying to make it happen, because they know it won't.

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 1

The eye trap sounds sick, I know they aired that at Midsummer Scream and I believe it had good reception there too. I'm hoping they release it online like 2 weeks before the movie drops. They need to drum up some sort of viral online marketing and I'm sure that clip could do it. I know Evil Dead Rise people were going crazy over the Cheese grater scene and when I finally saw that movie I was pretty underwhelmed, but it proved successful for marketing.

In regards to Saw Patrol, there is absolutely no way Lionsgate moved the film because of that. It is 100% because of FNAF. Saw is a Halloween movie, the fact that they had to move it, probably pissed them off. BUT I do think 100%%% it was the right call. And Sept 29th is really the only date that works. Nun II is Sep 9th, Exorcist is like Oct 13th, and FNAF is Oct 31st, so Sept 29th is like the perfect spacing between all these films. I'm pretty sure Saw Patrol was from some random blog that mentioned it and people just ran with it. Lionsgate isn't moving a fucking movie over the POTENTIAL of creating an internet meme like Barbenheimer. BUT now that its caught people's attention, sure they're playing into it. Not like it's going to actually happen, but it helps promote the film since people are talking about it. Helps bring awareness.

I'm really hoping Saw X surprises at the boxoffice, I'm still really unsure how its going to do. There does seem like the buzz and attention and interest is there, but at the same time, I just know the last few films track records are not good and this movie isn't coming out around halloween which is a negative. And I'm unsure of the general audiences feelings on Saw. Is Tobin that much of a draw? I'm really unsure. But I do think in general people underestimate the Saw franchise. People seem to forget that literally Saw II, Saw III, Saw IV and Saw V all opened over 30M OW at the box office. That's 4 years STRAIGHT that it did that, which is impressive. 

Edited by eman92