Eric the Ape

Weekend Thread (8/26-28) | Invitation 775K Previews

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

The only critique I would add is that the number probably could have been a bit higher if it was all PLFs instead of an IMAX exclusive, but otherwise I agree with the basic thrust of M37’s post in that the re-release was/is inherently limited in box office potential.

And to be fair, it’s not even a full IMAX run (only 255 locs vs 380 for ET) as for whatever reason MTC3 was not part of this rerelease

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it does just so happen that a lot of the big tentpole tv releases are happening around now while the box office is dead. house of dragons, lord of the rings, she hulk, andor. nobody gives a fuck what's playing in cinemas at the moment.

The real question is will they in the future

31 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Watching Top Gun 2 finally on VOD because going to the theater is pretty much impossible when you have 2 young kids. 

The movie is IMAX formatted. Fills the screen in a few scenes.

I think it's the first film to keep the IMAX ratio on VOD. Iirc, even for Nolan movies the aspect ratio switches only happen on the blu rays.

2 hours ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

$200m ain't going to prevent it from being a flop. Total spend probably around $150m.

if you include P&P costs for all the movies hardly few would have made profits/super profits...there are other sources of revenue too which will cover the costs

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eric the Genie said:

Is there a reason why IMAX versions were never on home video or Disney+ until now? It seems super unfair for people

not to at least have the option to enjoy it in those aspect ratios

the majority of people don't care and don't even know another version exists , the imax ratio are in the 3d bluray versions in overseas markets

7 minutes ago, John Rambo said:

if you include P&P costs for all the movies hardly few would have made profits/super profits...there are other sources of revenue too which will cover the costs

Every time "P&A" is used as an excuse for a movie's "failure", it's always screamed as moving the goalpost and people trying to make a movie a bigger bomb than it actually is. It's so annoying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is MGM/UA not reporting box office on 3k? No Friday daily number or Thursday preview number was reported by the studio (doesn't show up on either The-Numbers or BOM, DL's num seems to be their own est), and Deadline seemed to imply in their weekend report that they aren't putting anything out:

When are you guys going to grow up, realize you bought MGM and start releasing wide theatrical titles and reporting box office?

Maybe I'm missing something. Will hope to get numbers tomorrow or Monday.

Edited by datpepper

1 hour ago, Eric the Genie said:

Is there a reason why IMAX versions were never on home video or Disney+ until now? It seems super unfair for people

not to at least have the option to enjoy it in those aspect ratios

IIRC they have to pay IMAX to release those versions. IMAX spoke about the deal in one of their earnings calls.

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think it's the first film to keep the IMAX ratio on VOD. Iirc, even for Nolan movies the aspect ratio switches only happen on the blu rays.

I just did a quick search - the first film that released with IMAX transitions via PVOD was Aquaman. Top Gun is the second.  Most IMAX transitions are reserved for Blu-Ray. Wonder Woman 84 was the first IMAX enhanced movie released to SVOD.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Serpico Jones said:

Deadline should find a new box office reporter/writer. The current guy is kind of a lunatic.

I've been saying this since the pandemic started. The guy cannot admit the BO just hasn't properly recovered yet. It's September and we've only had one billion dollar grosser so far.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, AJG said:

I've been saying this since the pandemic started. The guy cannot admit the BO just hasn't properly recovered yet. It's September and we've only had one billion dollar grosser so far.

We have with Dominion a second billion-grosser within our hearts.

32 minutes ago, Serpico Jones said:

Deadline should find a new box office reporter/writer. The current guy is kind of a lunatic.

Him trying to justify why The Invitation should have done better and that it's Sony's fault they didn't push a crappy movie is just...amazing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, AJG said:

The man is insane. I can't wait to see the crazy spins he will come up with to justify all the September/October bombs until Black Adam.