Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (8/26-28) | Invitation 775K Previews

36 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I don't think RDJ will come back. He's made enough money off Marvel, but Marvel need something new and exciting to rejuvenate. I'm not talking about its box office....it's just some feeling of unexciting, dullness when it comes to current Marvel. The latest films have been messy and didn't excite the masses like in the past

Spider-Man No Way Home made a gazillionty dollars and had a ton of mainstream buzz and it was just fairly mundane pandering stuff born of still-recent nostalgia (I think it's safe to say that in these parts now that the sheen has worn off).

Strange and Thor were both messy and still the former made far more than the first Dom and Worldwide and the latter made more Dom and matched Worldwide if you just factor in China and Russia null-releases.

I definitely see your point: Minions 2 and the Jurassic Films show that you don't need "Buzz" to make bank. We're certainly missing a zeitgeist something that Top Gun has filled for now but either Black Panther or Avatar 2 are probably going to do that. But I suspect the MCU don't mind entering that territory for now. Jurassic World is quietly racking up its very mundane billion with nearly everyone thinking its a bit rubbish and it never entering any kind of zeitgeist.

As for "if Marvel keeps being unexciting"...that's what holding back the X-Men has all been about. 

And the "MCU 1-3" era is going to be, whether one likes it or not, soon perceived as incredibly lame by the generation coming up now regardless as it's what their parents were into.

I don't think there's going to be a "new exciting thing" from Marvel, without there being a big risk taken by someone. It might be Avatar, and if it isn't it'll still be something LIKE Avatar (or Potter) - ie something that invites World Exploration, something that has lots of tags and strings for people to pick up to want to live in that world, lots of ways with engaging in that world 'as yourself' not necessarily as a main character in the story. That's the spectatorship era we're in now.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 2

Weekends with Total Box Office Under $50M, since Memorial Day 2021

Per BOM, with caveat that some studios failed to report when numbers were poor, so actual total may be higher

6/18-20/21 = $45.87M

9/17-19/21 = $48.00M

9/24-26/21 = $38.78M

12/10-12/21 = $43.94M

01/21-23/22 = $46.07M

01/28-30/22 = $34.89M

Seems likely we'll be adding at least 1 - and perhaps as many as 4 - weekends over the next month to this list (This weekend looks like its going to be pretty close, either way)

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I don't think RDJ will come back. He's made enough money off Marvel, but Marvel need something new and exciting to rejuvenate. I'm not talking about its box office....it's just some feeling of unexciting, dullness when it comes to current Marvel. The latest films have been messy and didn't excite the masses like in the past

OF COURSE he is coming back and I suspect sooner rather than later. Everyone comes back eventually, be it the original SW trio, or the original JP trio or Harrison Ford as Indy etc, and you know the HP trio will eventually be coming back in some sort of sequel.

He will be coming back, it’s not like he is a commercial draw in anything else.

20 minutes ago, M37 said:

Weekends with Total Box Office Under $50M, since Memorial Day 2021

Per BOM, with caveat that some studios failed to report when numbers were poor, so actual total may be higher

6/18-20/21 = $45.87M

9/17-19/21 = $48.00M

9/24-26/21 = $38.78M

12/10-12/21 = $43.94M

01/21-23/22 = $46.07M

01/28-30/22 = $34.89M

Seems likely we'll be adding at least 1 - and perhaps as many as 4 - weekends over the next month to this list (This weekend looks like its going to be pretty close, either way)

Deadline says it will be $54M (but also says others have this lower)...and here's the Deadline update...

https://deadline.com/2022/08/box-office-the-invitation-1235101502/

"Sony’s new C CinemaScore horror movie The Invitation leading with $6M-$7M at 3,114 theaters."

And..

"George Miller’s Cannes Film Festival premiere 3,000 Years of Longing which off of a 67% Rotten Tomatoes and B CinemaScore is opening to $2.9M at 2,436 theaters."

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

Heh, the most exciting and rejuvenating thing they did was bringing back Spidermen from old movies. I'd say that, outside of Tobey and Andrew, the only really exciting thing they made post-Endgame was Wandavision. That was a mini cultural phenomenon. Everything else was rote with not a signle new character that could be called exciting. And no, I don't care whom people personally like and how much they want to excuse some poor receptions with "reviewbombing". None of new characters - both movie and TV - popped. None. They either feel like dull versions of the old favorites or are just dull. 

Point being, he'll be back. The variant nonsense was partly designed for that. Tony 2019 is dead but Tonys 2018 downward are alive in timelines #34562 and/or multiverses #968464. Take it to the bank.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

Unless my math or the numbers are wrong, that Rogue One PTA is going to dwarf every other film this weekend. Shame its theater count is so low as it might have cracked the top five it had a larger rollout into 1000+ theaters for the weekend.

i love idris but he does have a pretty bad flop to hit ratio. and most of his high grossers are small parts it never really works out when he's the lead. he's gonna be relying on KNUCKLES as his meal ticket for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Unless my math or the numbers are wrong, that Rogue One PTA is going to dwarf every other film this weekend. Shame its theater count is so low as it might have cracked the top five it had a larger rollout into 1000+ theaters for the weekend.

It has that high of a PTA because it’s an IMAX exclusive. ET rerelease went from an IMAX exclusive to an 800 theater run in second week and the PTA dropped by 85%

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

And no, I don't care whom people personally like and how much they want to excuse some poor receptions with "reviewbombing".

It is incredibly easy to look at basic metrics - %s of 1/10 versus 2, 3 and 4/10s - and tell the difference between review bombing and genuine poor reception. 

To pretend otherwise is disingenuous pandering to youtube trash.

Deadline’s top 10 is finally up

Top ten films for the weekend:

1.) The Invitation (Sony) 3,114 locations, Fri $2.6M, 3-day $6M-$7M/Wk 1

2.) Bullet Train (Sony) 3,513 (-268) theaters, Fri $1.54M (-31%),  3-day $5.5M (-31%)/Total $78.1M/Wk 4

3.) Top Gun: Maverick (Par) 2,962  (-7) theaters, Fri $1.35M (-13%), 3-day $4.9M (-17%), Total $691.3M/Wk 14
They have to get this to $700M. C’mon!

4.) Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero (Cru) 2,941 theaters (-77), Fri $1.3M (-88%) 3-day $4.83M (-77%)/Total $31M/ Wk 2

5.) Beast (Uni) 3,754 (+11) theaters, Fri $1.3M (-70%)  3-day $4.3M (-63%)/Total: $19.5M/Wk 2

5.) DC League of Super-Pets (WB) 3,284 (-253) theaters, Fri $1.065M (-25%), 3-day $4.3M (-24%)/Total $74.1M Wk 5

7. ) 3,000 Years of Longing (UAR) 2,436 theaters, Fri $1.16M, 3-day $2.9M/Wk 1

8.) Minions: Rise of Gru (Uni) 2,494 theaters (-160), Fri $670K (-29%), 3-day $2.73M (-27%), Total: $354.77M/Wk 9

9.) Thor: Love and Thunder (Disney) 2,450 (-305) theaters, Fri. $694K (-35%), 3-day $2.65M (-35%)/Total $336.5M/Wk 8

10.) Nope (Uni) 1,909 (-472) theaters, Fri $630K(-40%), 3-day $2.19M (-39%), Total $117.6M/Wk 6

11.) Where the Crawdads Sings (Sony) 2,216 theaters (-392), Fri $650K (-28%), 3-day $2.15M (-31%)/Total $81.7M/Wk 7

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

It is incredibly easy to look at basic metrics - %s of 1/10 versus 2, 3 and 4/10s - and tell the difference between review bombing and genuine poor reception. 

To pretend otherwise is disingenuous pandering to youtube trash.

and 10/10 are shills so that balances it out. If that's how you want yo play. why would 10/10 be more genuine than 1/10? both are sus for different reasons. I can believe in under 10/10s and over 1/10s but only dimissing 1/10 but never 10/10 is bull. 

Edited by Valonqar

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

and 10/10 are shills so that balances it out. If that's how you want yo play. why would 10/10 be more genuine than 1/10? both are sus for different reasons. I can believe in under 10/10s and over 1/10s but only dimissing 1/10 but never 10/10 is bull. 

The word "shills" is.....?

Yes, 10/10s are also just as dismissible in terms of establishing quality as 1/10s.

Is there a difference culturally though? Yes.

Everything from well established franchises - MCU, DCEU, Potter, Twilight, Star Wars gets a collection of ridiculous 10/10 before the film has come out and just after it has come out - from overexhuberent enthusiasts and kids who think its a way of supporting a franchise they want to succeed.

Dismissable? Yes.

Unique to the MCU? No. Any franchise gets such "positive review-bombing" to a significant degree.

To do that with a 10/10 requires overexhubert enthusiasts and kids (not "shills" which implies payment and dodgy dealings beyond the longterm goodwill that comes with fixated fandoms)...look, is it dismissible quality-wise? Yes. Do I pay attention to those 10s? No. But good lord at least the behaviour comes from enthusiasm and naivety.

To review bomb negatively in significant quantities though? That comes from agendas and negative elements of social contagion. It's pathetic and it has a clear visible pattern by comparison to authentically poorly reviewed items.

• Like 3