Eric the Ape

Weekend Thread (8/26-28) | Invitation 775K Previews

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Hmm interesting. Could make Bond a bit relevant with younger demos.

But damn. Spider-Man and Bond. Only Pattinson can top it I guess.

I think the idea came from Uncharted doing so well. He was criticized for being too young for Drake but 401M WW probably convinced some that younger Bond would be the way to go. Don't think it'll happen cause he's too associated with Parker and Bond people want strong association with Bond only.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

This marketplace is so dead... Whoever thought that time War Room was #1 would be the good old days? Has there been a breakout "faith-based movie" in a while? I think they expected more from Father Stu.  That Kurt Warner biopic from last Christmas could be crushing it right now.

Do you think any other 2021 movies could have been bigger hits this year? I never understood the rush with House of Gucci.

No Time to Die should have been pushed to this summer. Would have  made 200m domestic and 900m worldwide 

• Like 2

West Side Story should have released after NWH, in the Greatest Showman slot (with King's Man and ideally also Matrix moving elsewhere). Wouldn't have magically made it a hit, but it'd at least mean no collapse in second weekend, maximized holidays and a release two weeks closer to the Oscar nominations.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

No Time to Die should have been pushed to this summer. Would have  made 200m domestic and 900m worldwide 

They made a movie where James Bond died and nobody cared. What a time.

1 hour ago, SLAM! said:

Fathom Events is about to release Lifemark in select theaters on September 9th. This is the next film from the Fireproof people. It’s different from their typical weekday events because it appears they’re debuting the film on the Friday and screening it for at least one full week. Keep an eye out it because it *might* do pretty well.

That Chosen special also did well as a Fathom event and played for multiple days. There's less risk (but less potential reward), though if it exceeds expectations, the run can be extended.

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Maybe Top Gun: Maverick does less in the UK with No Time to Die as competition? It seemed like it only "underperformed" in the US. Also, I wonder who would've won Best Original Song for 2021 with Billie Eilish out of the way...Lin-Manuel? LOL Diane Warren?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Is this the single worst possible day to celebrate as National Cinema Day? The movies on offer aren't exactly the type to attract audiences even at the 3$ price point

It's not like they'd make much profit off them at that price even with beverages etc., so I don't think they care that much.

54 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Is this the single worst possible day to celebrate as National Cinema Day?

Why else do you think they picked it? If there was something out there that could nab $30M (or whatever), they wouldn't want their box office receipts being hurt by $3 tickets.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I wonder who would've won Best Original Song for 2021 with Billie Eilish out of the way...Lin-Manuel? LOL Diane Warren?

Lin wouldn't cause nobody cared for the song that was submitted for Best Song. They wouldn't submit Bruno. 

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Is this the single worst possible day to celebrate as National Cinema Day? The movies on offer aren't exactly the type to attract audiences even at the 3$ price point

That’s the point though, no? It’s the equivalent of the summer movie series for old kids movies, but for all (low grossing) releases for an entire day. (Also it applies to all premium formats too, so how those get divvied up will be interesting) 

I think the goal is just to get as many people as possible into theaters with the discount, remind that the theatrical experience is fun, and hope they come back during the next couple of lean months

The three highest grossing single days (excluding previews) post-pandemic were in $78-$82M range - F/S 12/17 & 18 (NWH*), Sa 7/09 (Thor et all) - which is roughly 7-8M admits at current ATP estimates. Can this Cinema Day break $20M at $3 pricing, implying a higher admit total? It just might - already seeing my local theaters are running extended (early) hours that day 

*Edit: NWH’s opening Saturday alone($73.94) would rank 5th, just barely behind Sat 6/11 (JWD + TGM), ahead of MoM full Sat (5/07)

Edited by M37
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

47 minutes ago, Stealing Porthos Name XXR said:

Why else do you think they picked it? If there was something out there that could nab $30M (or whatever), they wouldn't want their box office receipts being hurt by $3 tickets.

33 minutes ago, M37 said:

That’s the point though, no? It’s the equivalent of the summer movie series for old kids movies, but for all (low grossing) releases for an entire day. (Also it applies to all premium formats too, so how those get divvied up will be interesting) 

I think the goal is just to get as many people as possible into theaters with the discount, remind that the theatrical experience is fun, and hope they come back during the next couple of lean months

The three highest grossing single days (excluding previews) post-pandemic were in $78-$82M range - F/S 12/17 & 18 (NWH*), Sa 7/09 (Thor et all) - which is roughly 7-8M admits at current ATP estimates. Can this Cinema Day break $20M at $3 pricing, implying a higher admit total? It just might - already seeing my local theaters are running extended (early) hours that day 

*Edit: NWH’s opening Saturday alone($73.94) would rank 5th, just barely behind Sat 6/11 (JWD + TGM), ahead of MoM full Sat (5/07)

What's interesting is that I saw a comment on a random story on this from someone from, IIRC, Regal suggesting/hoping that this could become a yearly tradition in the US.

If it does, that has... implications for seeing a big movie coming out on Labor Day Weekend in the near-ish future.

• Like 1

This streaming money making scheme that the studios have is killing movie theaters, movie theaters make money on volume small and mid tier films, not a couple tent pole films

i hope theaters sue the movie studios for destroying their business

Edited by Gokira2012
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Porthos said:

What's interesting is that I saw a comment on a random story on this from someone from, IIRC, Regal suggesting/hoping that this could become a yearly tradition in the US.

If it does, that has... implications for seeing a big movie coming out on Labor Day Weekend in the near-ish future.

Nobody hopped on labor after SC, even though they should have. So if this becomes a yearly back to school tradition it probably wont affect much.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Lin wouldn't cause nobody cared for the song that was submitted for Best Song. They wouldn't submit Bruno. 

I know, but Encanto was still a well-regarded box office success (by pandemic standards). Many Disney musicals have had the "wrong" song win the Oscar, anyway. Or, they could have just gone with Beyoncé. Guess we'll never know...

This $3 ticket day is exciting, the domestic market hasn't had anything like it on this scale in decades, if ever. There's Cheap Tuesday, but it's not as universal and not such a reduction from the normal price. I wonder if some genres will benefit more than others.

This is true. It's not like the titles are particularly leggy outside of Top Gun 2 either, they are just around because there's nothing else out. The

legs for most of them outside Top Gun and Minions is much lower than average for their release dates

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1