Eric the Ape

Weekend Thread (8/26-28) | Invitation 775K Previews

15 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

They are pushing for Tom Holland now. :wacko:

Damn, they took my half-joking casting from months ago seriously!

Although, if Bond was gonna move back to his funnier, lighter, and more spry period, I'll still say you could do a lot worse than Tom Holland...

3 hours ago, M37 said:

For Nope, I wouldn’t focus so much on the budget vs revenue for this individual film. From Universal’s perspective, keep in mind this was greenlit before COVID, and they made very good ROI on Peele’s first 2 outings, so a bigger budget/lower profit outing that keeps the hot director happy is still a solid investment longterm. Over his 3 films combined, they’re still way ahead, having helped build a solid brand that will pay dividends going forward 

Yes, especially now that Peele has a strong relationship with the parks and resorts team (Nope now permanently on Studio Tour, Us house at Halloween Horror Nights three years ago). Nope will break even.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yes, especially now that Peele has a strong relationship with the parks and resorts team (Nope now permanently on Studio Tour, Us house at Halloween Horror Nights three years ago). Nope will break even.

But the 3.56x legs though.

• Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1

I’m going with @Blankments that Daniel Kaluuya would be the dopest Bond tbh. Perfect blend of being right for the part, recognizable name, and intrigue among fans on how his role will be unique from before. Just add in Pierce Brosnan as M or some other “pass the torch” role to get that legacyquel hype, and we’re golden.

• Astonished 1

2 hours ago, krla said:

For all we know, if Prey was released theatrically, it would have bombed. I've noticed that the movies that seem to do well in theaters (other than Minions) has little impact on online conversations, whereas movies and shows on streaming are prominent in online discussions. I don't think I've seen Top Gun mentioned outside of movie forums/subs.

It's kind of like network TV. I haven't seen a major prime time show brought up casually online, outside of specific forums/subs for TV or those shows. NCIS, FBI, The Equalizer, This is Us, Blue Bloods, Law & Order SVU, etc, basically don't exist online. And it's kind of funny, because a ton of those shows basically celebrate dirty cops and police brutality, you'd think they would have been a topic of conversation in the past 2 years, but crickets. 

Other than Marvel and Minions, I've seen little mention of films in general online discourse, unless it's "political." Only mentions I saw of Fantastic Beasts were because of the controversy around JK Rowling. Lightyear only got mentioned because of a kiss. Flops and bombs seem to make great fodder for online conversations. I've seen them talked about more than films like Elvis, Where the Crawdads Sing or Everything Everywhere. 

But shows originally released on streaming have far more online discussion. I've read more talk about She-Hulk in the past couple days than I have about Thor and Strange this entire summer. I've seen Prey talked about more than Top Gun. 

The average online commenter, imo, is unlikely to watch anything in theaters, with the exception of MCU.

I think the pandemic caused a great shift. Those who don't leave their homes are terminally online, have a bigger impact on the conversation, and only really get entertainment through streaming. Those who go to theaters are less likely to be online, less likely to comment, and if they do, they aren't spending hours online each day. 

My Twitter has seen plenty of discourse about Everything Everywhere and memes about the Elvis “He’s White?” scene and raves about Nope. Plenty of people raving about Top Gun as well. That’s anecdotal, and largely based on people I follow, but it’s no different from you mentioning your own Twitter experiences. So I don’t think this is it.

• Like 1

Could do much worse with Bond following a long-term era to announce something like a triptych of One-Offs: allowing for casting off the beaten track, trying some experimentation and maybe seeing is they can use people like Hardy, Edgerton or Kaluuya who probably wouldn't want the gig full time. Then start another long-term era in a decade or so with a relative unknown.

Crawdads has quietly done really well. Of course majority DOM since the book's doesn't have much impact outside the English speaking world, but 90, final looks pretty great. 

Not sure how to feel about Beast. Having seen it yesterday it seems to be exactly the sort of film that's aiming for a 30-40m impact. It's restricted in scope and not really a big scale film at all, nor was that what was promised from the trailers. Not sure what people were expecting but for what the income will be it does seem overbudgeted by 10m or so.

This marketplace is so dead... Whoever thought that time War Room was #1 would be the good old days? Has there been a breakout "faith-based movie" in a while? I think they expected more from Father Stu.  That Kurt Warner biopic from last Christmas could be crushing it right now.

Do you think any other 2021 movies could have been bigger hits this year? I never understood the rush with House of Gucci.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

This marketplace is so dead... Whoever thought that time War Room was #1 would be the good old days? Has there been a breakout "faith-based movie" in a while? I think they expected more from Father Stu.  That Kurt Warner biopic from last Christmas could be crushing it right now.

Do you think any other 2021 movies could have been bigger hits this year? I never understood the rush with House of Gucci.

Every WB movie from last year. That was easy

(oh also Gucci and West Side Story)

2 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Fathom Events is about to release Lifemark in select theaters on September 9th. This is the next film from the Fireproof people. It’s different from their typical weekday events because it appears they’re debuting the film on the Friday and screening it for at least one full week. Keep an eye on it because it *might* do pretty well.

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, CrashBandicoot81 said:

So is this Deadline guy usually this salty? Lol he's implying that a Shitty Sylvester Stallone movie in 2022 would have done well in theaters and telling Amazon to grow up just cause they put out their movies on their Prime service.

Yep.

My theory is he’s one of those annoying AMC stock people.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Eric the Genie said:

Every WB movie from last year. That was easy

(oh also Gucci and West Side Story)

Well, yeah, though I'm not sure Reminiscence would have done much better this year. King Richard still would've been a tennis movie, sadly a flop of a sports movie genre, but even that would've made more.

At least West Side Story wrapped production in 2019, so they didn't want to keep it on the shelf for three years. Makes sense. House of Gucci filmed in Spring 2021, coming out the next year would've been more typical. It was so strange that Ridley had The Last Duel and HoG out in back-to-back months.