Eric the Ape

Weekend Thread (8/26-28) | Invitation 775K Previews

From what’s posted so far, pretty weak Saturday increases. Looks like the GA mostly checked out this weekend (but may see smaller Sun drops due to lower Sat)

Think we’re getting a sub-$50M total weekend 

3 minutes ago, M37 said:

From what’s posted so far, pretty weak Saturday increases. Looks like the GA mostly checked out this weekend (but may see smaller Sun drops due to lower Sat)

Think we’re getting a sub-$50M total weekend 

The Deadline Anthony Sunday Write-up is gonna be legendary.

• Haha 1

This was a historic weekend. From Scott Mendelson

Save for the summer of 2020, that’s just the fourth time we’ve had an August chart-topping opener below $10 million since (unless I missed one) The Crow: City of Angels ($9.7 million) and The Island of Doctor Moreau ($9.1 million) in 1996 and Honeymoon in Vegas ($7.3 million) in 1992

• Like 1

So, my fam jumped on next weekend's ticket deal, and looking on sales at my Cinemark, it seems like a lot of people are.

It was a toss up between Bullet Train and Thor (our 2 unseen summer blockbusters still in theaters), but the rating was the winner, so I'll finally see how good or bad Thor is next Saturday (my expectations are set low, so I think I'll be in the "happily surprised" category, but I was set low for Lightyear, too, and that didn't work out:)...

In good news, Cinemark did not just discount tickets - large popcorns were also only $4 (and medium drinks and candy $3), so look for concessions to be crowded next weekend, too (I did a preorder to try to avoid that insanity)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, krla said:

I think the pandemic caused a great shift. Those who don't leave their homes are terminally online, have a bigger impact on the conversation, and only really get entertainment through streaming. Those who go to theaters are less likely to be online, less likely to comment, and if they do, they aren't spending hours online each day. 

I agree with this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eric the Genie said:

People are still pushing for that? Feel like we moved past that casting like seven years ago

There's no chance the Broccolis go with a 50 year old as Bond. I'm thinking they will look in the 30-35 range for the most part. Someone to play the part for the next decade and maybe longer if well received.

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

There's no chance the Broccolis go with a 50 year old as Bond. I'm thinking they will look in the 30-35 range for the most part. Someone to play the part for the next decade and maybe longer if well received.

It’s destined to be one of those yuppies from 1917. Which one? I dunno, but definitely one of them.

Three Thousand Years has a budget of $60M. With overseas prospects likely also being nonexistent, this will end up being a pretty significant write-off.

Bullet Train might end up being pushed past $100M if it gets close enough after all, while Crawdads is looking like it might end up really close to $90M. So it's not all bad news!